I just sold all of them?!?

Hey all,

I've been collecting for several years now and had up to a dozen folders at one point (a lot to some, drop in the bucket for others).

That number fluctuates depending on what comes and goes but recently my collection became ZERO! (the sak on my keychain I don't count!) But I still consider my self a collector/edc user. I think financial reasons, collecting burnout, and other interests are probably factors.

Any of you guys find you end up with none and basically do a reset? What was your first knife after the reset? Mine is an incoming Techno 2.

I would always keep some for sentimental reasons, but I really would like to unload about 95% of the huge pile I have. Like craytab said, I just keep putting it off because of all the work involved.

I've done two major downsizings in my life. When I was in my 50's I did a huge purge of my stuff. Knife collection, gun collection, duplicate tools, vehicles. Then in my 60's I downsized my knife and gun accumulation again to a bare minimum. Each time it felt totally liberating. I was being ruled by my possessions and I put a stop to it, especially the knife buying. It was like one day I woke up from what I can only call a form of temporary insanity, and now I keep my knife accumulation down to what I can hold in one hand without trying too hard.

Aside from the little SAK on my keyring, and a SAK or traditional slip joint pocket knife, I'm done. I still like to look, and keep informed, but evcerytime I feel the urge to buy a new knife, I ask myself one very important question; What will it do that the SAK or other pocket knife in my pocket can't?

So far the answer is nothing.

I'm a retired machinist from the Washington D.C. area, and we moved to Texas when the better half and I retired and went on the dole. I didn't want to own a snow shovel or ice scraper or long under wear. I do a lot of fishing and woods walking and we've been exploring the Texas country side. So far my tiny accumulation of pocket knives have been all I need. Since I never saw a knife as a defense weapon, I never got into the whole one hand locking thing. If I need to defend myself that's why a carry a gun. When out and about in D.C. I just carried a heavy duty Irish blackthorn walking stick and pepper spray. If the spray failed to work, I'll start breaking things with he blackthorn. My pocketknife is just for opening packages, cutting bait or fishing line, whittling a perfect hot dog stick for the grandkids, and other small cutting jobs.

The collection/buying thing can get out of hand if you aren't careful.

....Any of you guys find you end up with none and basically do a reset?
Nope. I enjoy looking back at my choices from years ago.

If I ever do a "reset" with knives, about half will simply go into the trash or donated at a flea market, and the other half would be sold.

Can’t sell all- must keep an end of the world kit at the ready.

Some are not worth selling as in the price they would fetch is not worth my time at the moment.

Other than that they can all go.

I need to clean out. Already sold all of my really old stuff, but I've got a lot of folders from the 60's thru 80's that just sit in boxes or a knife roll.
Kids are not interested in them. It's just hard to do for me.

45plus yrs in the knife game.. 300plus in the stash.. Short answer.. NOPE!!!:rolleyes:
John

Downsize extensively, yes. Get rid of all of them, nope. I like them too much but I could see myself parting with the one's I use/handle rarely.

Interesting discussion. Being about 3 years from retirement I see me getting out of the game at that time. And I can see how it would be liberating to be free of stuff, but I don’t see me ever being without 3 keepers. Probably always have a flipper of some kind, a CRK, and a Spyderco user. One to fondle and fidget with, one to oggle and admire, and one user.

I don't for see a total reset, but I could use a hard purge to thin things out.

No, I guess I'm a hoarder as I don't ever sell any of my stuff, knives, guns or fishing rods/reels. So no I would never sell, unless it was a dire emergency involving my family.

Back