1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I just sold all of them?!?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sejdogg, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Sejdogg

Sejdogg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Hey all,

I've been collecting for several years now and had up to a dozen folders at one point (a lot to some, drop in the bucket for others).

That number fluctuates depending on what comes and goes but recently my collection became ZERO! (the sak on my keychain I don't count!) But I still consider my self a collector/edc user. I think financial reasons, collecting burnout, and other interests are probably factors.

Any of you guys find you end up with none and basically do a reset? What was your first knife after the reset? Mine is an incoming Techno 2.

halden.doerge and allenC like this.
  2. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    I can't imagine ever doing that.

rje58, sgt1372, Mick_1KRR and 7 others like this.
  3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Nope. It would be far more work to sell all my knives than it is worth.

GasMan1, Quiet, sgt1372 and 7 others like this.
  4. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I would always keep some for sentimental reasons, but I really would like to unload about 95% of the huge pile I have. Like craytab said, I just keep putting it off because of all the work involved.

chuck4570 likes this.
  5. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    No, because I use some all the time, or they are in different locations for emergencies.

rje58, PNWhovian and 19-3ben like this.
  6. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I have a select few that wouldn’t sell unless I was about to lose my house or something serious like that. I don’t think I’d want to drop down to zero knives anyway.

rje58, Lance Leon and Lapedog like this.
  7. Pokerchip

Pokerchip Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 26, 2015
    While many do come and go, there will always be that group "not for sale" if someone inquires. I don't foresee me doing a total reset.

K.O.D., rje58 and Lapedog like this.
  8. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Even when not active I still have a knife or 3 that I use.

9. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    I've done two major downsizings in my life. When I was in my 50's I did a huge purge of my stuff. Knife collection, gun collection, duplicate tools, vehicles. Then in my 60's I downsized my knife and gun accumulation again to a bare minimum. Each time it felt totally liberating. I was being ruled by my possessions and I put a stop to it, especially the knife buying. It was like one day I woke up from what I can only call a form of temporary insanity, and now I keep my knife accumulation down to what I can hold in one hand without trying too hard.

Aside from the little SAK on my keyring, and a SAK or traditional slip joint pocket knife, I'm done. I still like to look, and keep informed, but evcerytime I feel the urge to buy a new knife, I ask myself one very important question; What will it do that the SAK or other pocket knife in my pocket can't?

So far the answer is nothing.

I'm a retired machinist from the Washington D.C. area, and we moved to Texas when the better half and I retired and went on the dole. I didn't want to own a snow shovel or ice scraper or long under wear. I do a lot of fishing and woods walking and we've been exploring the Texas country side. So far my tiny accumulation of pocket knives have been all I need. Since I never saw a knife as a defense weapon, I never got into the whole one hand locking thing. If I need to defend myself that's why a carry a gun. When out and about in D.C. I just carried a heavy duty Irish blackthorn walking stick and pepper spray. If the spray failed to work, I'll start breaking things with he blackthorn. My pocketknife is just for opening packages, cutting bait or fishing line, whittling a perfect hot dog stick for the grandkids, and other small cutting jobs.

The collection/buying thing can get out of hand if you aren't careful.

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Nope. I enjoy looking back at my choices from years ago.

If I ever do a "reset" with knives, about half will simply go into the trash or donated at a flea market, and the other half would be sold.

11. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Can’t sell all- must keep an end of the world kit at the ready.

Some are not worth selling as in the price they would fetch is not worth my time at the moment.

Other than that they can all go.

fjblair likes this.
  12. mikey488

mikey488 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2006
    I need to clean out. Already sold all of my really old stuff, but I've got a lot of folders from the 60's thru 80's that just sit in boxes or a knife roll.
    Kids are not interested in them. It's just hard to do for me.

13. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Nobody would want to buy most of my knives:( so no never.

14. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    45plus yrs in the knife game.. 300plus in the stash.. Short answer.. NOPE!!!:rolleyes:
    John

15. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    I`m not a collector, but reset to zero, is out of question.

SW-EDC likes this.
  16. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Downsize extensively, yes. Get rid of all of them, nope. I like them too much but I could see myself parting with the one's I use/handle rarely.

17. Pinnacle64

Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    Have to agree with a above statement “ it would be too much work to sale all of mine”

craytab likes this.
  18. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Interesting discussion. Being about 3 years from retirement I see me getting out of the game at that time. And I can see how it would be liberating to be free of stuff, but I don’t see me ever being without 3 keepers. Probably always have a flipper of some kind, a CRK, and a Spyderco user. One to fondle and fidget with, one to oggle and admire, and one user.

DavidZ likes this.
  19. kwick72

kwick72 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I don't for see a total reset, but I could use a hard purge to thin things out.

20. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    No, I guess I'm a hoarder as I don't ever sell any of my stuff, knives, guns or fishing rods/reels. So no I would never sell, unless it was a dire emergency involving my family.

wardcleaver likes this.