I just sold all of them?!?

Probably won’t be going back to zero as I have too many opinels and moras and they’re just not worth enough to post and ship but I have been eyeing a huge sale. I have a bunch of fixed blades that I never use. I just want them out of the house. I’m a minimalist and not a collector so having tools I never use laying around bothers me. I need to start posting them up for sale. There’s something very freeing about ditching stuff that’s collecting dust.

I thought of that.

That was one of the reasons I did the huge downsize. I gathered just what I really wanted to keep, and the rest was all given to the kids, grandkids, nephew, niece, friends and old co-workers, and give aways on this a a few other forums. I had them all over for a backyard BBQ, and had a long table in the house with all the stuff spread out. Everybody got what they wanted and I lightened my load. It wa so much fun seeing them enjoy getting the stuff while I was still alive to witness it. Now with just a few SAK's and a couple of pocket knives, I don't have to worry. Did the same with my guns. I held back just a few of my old favorites and everything else went to the family. What the family didn't want, I sold off at a gun show and got fair price for.
I might should be thinking about this also being 80 divorced and a safe full of rifles and handguns, also my knives if i kicked off today have no idea what would happen to it all.

I might should be thinking about this also being 80 divorced and a safe full of rifles and handguns, also my knives if i kicked off today have no idea what would happen to it all.

Yeah, I just turned 78, and we're not getting any younger!:eek:

What was surprising to me was, how much of the stuff the family did not want. Most of the stuff they grabbed was because of a specific memory, like my nephew grabbing the sodbuster that I taught him to make fuzz sticks with. Or my niece clomping onto the SAK with scissors because I had made a string of paper dolls for her when we were at a restaurant when she was a little girl and she was getting restless. My grandson grabbed my old Buck stockman because of family memories. I was left with a pile of guns and knives that nobody wanted, so I sold them at gun shows and knife shows and did giveaways on the forum so they went to people who would appreciate them. At least at gun shows you can get near what they are really worth. I figure if I keeled over, somebody would offer my family a pale shadow of what they were worth, so I sold them instead while I was still kicking.

Last edited:
I might "downsize" the collection which now numbers over 200 but I'd never get rid of all of them.

I did this w/my handgun collection which number over 40 at one time. I sold off about 30 of them to just the one's I actually shot (for the most part) and the handgun collection has remained about that size but has grown back to 14 since then (not including multiple slides for certain guns). However, I have since also discovered rifles and shotguns which have added to the collection and made up for the "loss" of all of those handguns. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
I understand there comes a point where you look and realize you have way more knives or guns or whatever then you could possibly need ...

I myself have sorted and decided to sell several ... about a third or so of my knives (if life ever settles down where I have the time to be a good seller and contact and ship quickly) ... but I do want to down size ...

but I can't imagine "zero" ... I would cuss at least a dozen times or more the first day reaching for a knife needing one and realising I don't have one ...

I gave it some serious thought talking to a few friends during the holidays ... we all got talking about guns ... knives ... etc ...

and I came to a number that if I had to get by and have the right tool for each job ... I would need 15 of my knives ...

now granted if it was completely necessary I could get by with 5 or 6 ... but some uses would become alot more difficult ...

but I'm thankful I don't have to try to make that choice.

I could never sell all of them unless someone made me an Indecent Proposal type offer. Most of my knives are either customs, customized, or small batch stuff so replacing would be difficult/impossible. I do try to keep the collection pretty focused though.

Downsizing or at least reshuffling the collection is part of the fun for me. Allowing myself to grow the collection without limitation would not be sustainable for me. I reach a point when I get kind of disgusted and I want to purge.
Recently I took stock of my hoard and noted that of the approximately 50 folders that I rotate for EDC, only a few were around 3 years ago but the total number was similar.
I feel like my tastes have matured and I'm less likely to fully turnover the collection again anytime soon. That said, it seems inevitable that at some point my tastes or outlook will change and so will the composition of my collection.
One thing I'm confident of is that knives will be a lifelong hobby for me. I would never go to zero.

I've done two major downsizings in my life. When I was in my 50's I did a huge purge of my stuff. Knife collection, gun collection, duplicate tools, vehicles. Then in my 60's I downsized my knife and gun accumulation again to a bare minimum. Each time it felt totally liberating. I was being ruled by my possessions and I put a stop to it, especially the knife buying. It was like one day I woke up from what I can only call a form of temporary insanity, and now I keep my knife accumulation down to what I can hold in one hand without trying too hard.

Aside from the little SAK on my keyring, and a SAK or traditional slip joint pocket knife, I'm done. I still like to look, and keep informed, but evcerytime I feel the urge to buy a new knife, I ask myself one very important question; What will it do that the SAK or other pocket knife in my pocket can't?

So far the answer is nothing.

I'm a retired machinist from the Washington D.C. area, and we moved to Texas when the better half and I retired and went on the dole. I didn't want to own a snow shovel or ice scraper or long under wear. I do a lot of fishing and woods walking and we've been exploring the Texas country side. So far my tiny accumulation of pocket knives have been all I need. Since I never saw a knife as a defense weapon, I never got into the whole one hand locking thing. If I need to defend myself that's why a carry a gun. When out and about in D.C. I just carried a heavy duty Irish blackthorn walking stick and pepper spray. If the spray failed to work, I'll start breaking things with he blackthorn. My pocketknife is just for opening packages, cutting bait or fishing line, whittling a perfect hot dog stick for the grandkids, and other small cutting jobs.

The collection/buying thing can get out of hand if you aren't careful.
SAKs fail spine whack tests, simple as that.

ban for an opinion? ... o_O

I'm sure most of us could get by with far fewer knives than we have ...

and I think (at least my personal experience and those from watching friends) ... there come times through you're life when likes/dislikes change ... needs/necessities change ... and that can almost change every knife you have when you get to that point you recognise what you not only like but need and will use ... and the ones that work best for you ...

and I hope I'm not old just yet but as I'm getting older I am finding that I don't like having several knives I don't use ... or very rarely use ... so I like to pass them on either buy selling or gifting and let someone enjoy using them ...

so I can down size but can't ever see myself selling it all ...

What arrangements have you vintage *cough* guys made that if you cash in your chips first your better half doesn't get hosed when she has to sell your 100 knives? In the gun world guys try to keep an inventory with current values, anyone do that with knives?

I am an accountant by trade so of course I have an inventory Excel spreadsheet with separate tabs for my coins, knives, and guns with up to date values. I made it more for me to keep track vs an estate function but it would certainly help with sorting all of that out, too.
I also have numbers of my fairest wholesalers on each tab in case I am incapacitated and they need to be quickly liquidated.

Last edited:
I recently sold off maybe 2/3rds of what I had cause I realized I just wasn’t using things. Got down to maybe 5-6, but things have gotten hectic in the couple months since and I’ve discovered I’m a Benchmade fan.
So, basically, here we go again.

Reactions: OOK
I sold most of my collection, probably 70-80ish knives.
Now I have maybe 15ish knives, half a dozen of which are Swiss Army Knives. It's very important to me to have SAKs in multiple locations because they are just such useful litte guys for all kinds of misc. fidget tasks.
Think I only have three fixed blades (dunno what happened to the fourth one:() and a select few folders that I actually find useful and will use.
Almost everything with jimping was sold, only kept a few items with minimal jimping. I have zero love for jimping.
Anything that was basically a folding pry bar was sold.
Almost all tactical stuff was sold. I think I have one knife that might be considered tactical but it's a great utilitarian blade which is all I really want/need.
Any of the folders I now have are good to very good for work. Kept a couple with great stainless for food or water related activities.
I find I still want to get all kinds of different knives but then I look at what I have and gotta admit that I have all that I'll ever need.
What I really need now is to get better carving skills.
I have the cutters/whittlers/carvers I want/need, now I need the skillset.

Guns, knives, guitars, amps, coins. They got to go. I'm not going to sell out, but things are going to change.

I do hard resets occasionally, but I leave stuff like multitools that are either too useful to own or have sentimental value. Funny that even though I am knife guy, I care about my multitools more.

Back