I just sold all of them?!?

Yeah, that's gonna be a "no" fer me, dawg.

I couldn't imagine selling all of my knives. Many of the knives I have have personal and/or sentimental value beyond whatever they'd be worth. Selling them would be out of the question, and honestly, if I had to sell all my knives, it would be because I was broke and destitute. So, instead of selling knives, I continue to make choices in my professional career that continue to take farther away from that ever happening. Life is good. Life with my knives, even better.

Go down to zero? Won't happen. Thin out the herd and rethink what I like and use? Absolutely.

I think somewhere along the line most of us thin the herd so to speak. Mainly because when we first got hooked on this crazy hobby we either didn't know what we were doing or had different taste. Consequently we have a pile of knives that we'll never use and don't even like because they're not our "style" anymore! Of those that have never "thinned the herd" I'm betting that a big portion of them just don't want the hassle of trying to sell them!
That sounds like something I would say and pretty much defines my knife hobby. Lots of knives that I know I'll never use or even consider using when I have my favorites now.

Hey all,

I've been collecting for several years now and had up to a dozen folders at one point (a lot to some, drop in the bucket for others).

That number fluctuates depending on what comes and goes but recently my collection became ZERO! (the sak on my keychain I don't count!) But I still consider my self a collector/edc user. I think financial reasons, collecting burnout, and other interests are probably factors.

Any of you guys find you end up with none and basically do a reset? What was your first knife after the reset? Mine is an incoming Techno 2.

My collecting days are over, and I do go up and down in numbers, but I'd never allow myself to get to zero, as one needs a good knife or two, at least one good folder and one good fixed knife as dead minimum. While I'm not intentionally collecting these days, I do note I have more knives then I realize when i really start looking around. A reset in terms of what I'm interested in yes, down to zero, never. Lately, I'm liking fixed knives and have been selling some folders, but just sold a fixed knife here that never got used at all (2 in fact) so off they went to better homes.

I'm with Jacknife on this. Just turned 66 and have way too many guns and knives. Came to the realization they would be better being used by someone instead of sitting in the safe.
When I first started collecting knives 35+ years ago I ended up with everything you can imagine. Must have had 250+. I did a big one person sale/dump and kept the best 15 or so.
Now I'm back up to about 40 or so really nice traditional users and find I only carry about 5 or 6 of them. I'm coming up on 3000 posts so i am going to do some give aways here and to family and friends.
I'm looking for simplification at this point on just about everything as we're
looking to hit the road with the camper for a year or so before settling some where out of the cold a$$ N.E.--KV

I'm with Jacknife on this. Just turned 66 and have way too many guns and knives. Came to the realization they would be better being used by someone instead of sitting in the safe.
When I first started collecting knives 35+ years ago I ended up with everything you can imagine. Must have had 250+. I did a big one person sale/dump and kept the best 15 or so.
Now I'm back up to about 40 or so really nice traditional users and find I only carry about 5 or 6 of them. I'm coming up on 3000 posts so i am going to do some give aways here and to family and friends.
I'm looking for simplification at this point on just about everything as we're
looking to hit the road with the camper for a year or so before settling some where out of the cold a$$ N.E.--KV

Hey KV, just come on backdown to Texas. It's nice and warm, gun and knife friendly, and it's where you're from to start with I see in your profile. The hill country north of Austin has a lot to offer. And you can always go to the Bowie knife get together at the Alamo like they had last year. Puma Bowies. Western Bowies, custom Bowies, it was great to see everyone celebrating the Bowie knife at the Alamo.

On days that I go fishing I have my little Buck 102 woodsman on my belt and usually don't take it off, and nobody even gives it a second glance. I've actually been edging into the 102 as an EDC item as I see others carrying small fixed blades in town a lot. Old Schrade sharp fingers, small leather handle Case's, some Buck's like the 102 and the bit bigger one I think they call the Pathfinder.

And you never have to own a snow shovel out long underwear again!:thumbsup:

The jump to a regular carry fixed blade for urbanites is a tough one for me. I've tried. Folders are just so handy. In the outdoors, unless the knife is really big or particularly unusual people seldom even give it a second glance.

Last edited:
Hey KV, just come on backdown to Texas. It's nice and warm, gun and knife friendly, and it's where you're from to start with I see in your profile. The hill country north of Austin has a lot to offer. And you can always go to the Bowie knife get together at the Alamo like they had last year. Puma Bowies. Western Bowies, custom Bowies, it was great to see everyone celebrating the Bowie knife at the Alamo.

On days that I go fishing I have my little Buck 102 woodsman on my belt and usually don't take it off, and nobody even gives it a second glance. I've actually been edging into the 102 as an EDC item as I see others carrying small fixed blades in town a lot. Old Schrade sharp fingers, small leather handle Case's, some Buck's like the 102 and the bit bigger one I think they call the Pathfinder.

And you never have to own a snow shovel out long underwear again!:thumbsup:
We're working on that! I assure you! We're kinda looking at Mason.--KV

As I get older and now retired, I realize I own too much of everything, knives, cameras, vehicles, tools and wine. So there is a need to downsize by selling and giving stuff away but I could never get down to no knives. I could probably reduce the number of folders to 10-15, the fixed blades to 3-5 and the kitchen knives to 10-15. The wine I just need to drink and stop collecting

The thing to realize is, that the stuff we 'accumulate' in our 30's will not mean that much to us in our 40's, and that stuff we covet in our 40's will change again in our 60's. As we age and go through life, and our needs and priorities change, the things we once held dear will no longer be that dear to us. Time changes things inevitably if we evolve at all in our lives. Our sum total experiences will change us as we go through life.

To add to that, our kids will have a whole different set of priorities. Their life will be very different than ours was, like me and my kids. They couldn't believe that once upon a time you had to put a finger in a hole and move the whole thing around to dial a phone number. They couldn't comprehend a time when we didn't have cell phones and computers.

It was eye opening what things my kids and grandkids didn't want.

I did it once. Not intentionally, in 2012. Some lovely LEO's must have really liked the collection

I stopped collecting after that, and got deeply into customs knives. Right now my "collection" contains six that knives see use and two I hope never have to. I comission a blade per year and they generally don't get sold or traded, so I'm sure the growth of the "collection" is inevitable. Its a slow and rewarding process.

If you're selling pocket knives for financial reasons, you've been really irresponsible with your money.

Maybe not. Some retired people have a fixed amount of money and lots of possessions they don't use. They might have plenty of money, but they also have plenty of time and believe they will live long and maybe the money won't last until they are 105 :) Why not turn knives into cash?

Nope - I've found some favorites, even if I had to rebuy them after getting rid of them and realizing I made a mistake.

I'm not sure I could find them all to sell them. The majority of the collection is in one place but I've also got them stashed just about everywhere....which might be silly considering I always have a couple on me, but I hate the feeling I get when I don't have one!

I "collect " because I am a user of knives. I have never bought a knife just to collect it. I would sooner leave the house without my wallet or phone then my knife. I keep a spare in the truck.

The jump to a regular carry fixed blade for urbanites is a tough one for me. I've tried. Folders are just so handy. In the outdoors, unless the knife is really big or particularly unusual people seldom even give it a second glance.

This may be off topic, but if you are reducing the herd so that you can find a few to meet a fixed blade for urban carry, I think the 2.5 to 3.25 blade length is sweet, and a grip of 3.5 to 4 inches, or if it curves enough where you can get a good grip. Many ways to carry, or just with a pocket slip. I am thinking like the LTW Patriot or Coyote, or Frontier Valley or Frontier First. I agree a folder is just handy as well. The ones I would use for urban or suburban carry is my Manly Wasp or a new Buck 112 Slim Pro in green micarta. The Buck is very light with the micarta, but not a lot of texture to the handle.

Back