I just sold all of them?!?

Downsize,yes, never get rid of them all, too many. Thinning the herd has been on my mind the last few years, never seems to start it, maybe in 2019.

Hey all,

I've been collecting for several years now and had up to a dozen folders at one point (a lot to some, drop in the bucket for others).

That number fluctuates depending on what comes and goes but recently my collection became ZERO! (the sak on my keychain I don't count!) But I still consider my self a collector/edc user. I think financial reasons, collecting burnout, and other interests are probably factors.

Any of you guys find you end up with none and basically do a reset? What was your first knife after the reset? Mine is an incoming Techno 2.
Yeah I'm in way too deep. NO REGERTS!

I’m not even sure it’s possible to sell all my knives at this point. I’d be finding random cheap knives for years.

I sell down to around 8 folders and then slowly climb back up to 15. It’s nice having fewer things. Would like to cut my guns down a bit too. At this point I’m just glad to not be buying more.

No, I guess I'm a hoarder as I don't ever sell any of my stuff, knives, guns or fishing rods/reels. So no I would never sell, unless it was a dire emergency involving my family.
Probably more akin to a pack rat. You have a lot of company. I do want to sell off some guns, but the dollars are a lot more and takes about the same amount of effort overall as a knife.

I only have about three current users, three budget knives that I only use any more and smorgasbord that I picked up from people before I ever bought my own. Aside from my users and one of the budget knives, I’d probably just toss the junk and give the other two away.

I have sold a few knives here and there but I have a few I'd never get rid of. I can't imagine ever selling my first ZT, the 0566. I love that knife and someone picking it up used on the secondary market would never appreciate it the way I do. That knife opened up Pandora's Box.

I think somewhere along the line most of us thin the herd so to speak. Mainly because when we first got hooked on this crazy hobby we either didn't know what we were doing or had different taste. Consequently we have a pile of knives that we'll never use and don't even like because they're not our "style" anymore! Of those that have never "thinned the herd" I'm betting that a big portion of them just don't want the hassle of trying to sell them!

Mike

I've done two major downsizings in my life. When I was in my 50's I did a huge purge of my stuff. Knife collection, gun collection, duplicate tools, vehicles. Then in my 60's I downsized my knife and gun accumulation again to a bare minimum. Each time it felt totally liberating. I was being ruled by my possessions and I put a stop to it, especially the knife buying. It was like one day I woke up from what I can only call a form of temporary insanity, and now I keep my knife accumulation down to what I can hold in one hand without trying too hard.

Aside from the little SAK on my keyring, and a SAK or traditional slip joint pocket knife, I'm done. I still like to look, and keep informed, but evcerytime I feel the urge to buy a new knife, I ask myself one very important question; What will it do that the SAK or other pocket knife in my pocket can't?

So far the answer is nothing.

I'm a retired machinist from the Washington D.C. area, and we moved to Texas when the better half and I retired and went on the dole. I didn't want to own a snow shovel or ice scraper or long under wear. I do a lot of fishing and woods walking and we've been exploring the Texas country side. So far my tiny accumulation of pocket knives have been all I need. Since I never saw a knife as a defense weapon, I never got into the whole one hand locking thing. If I need to defend myself that's why a carry a gun. When out and about in D.C. I just carried a heavy duty Irish blackthorn walking stick and pepper spray. If the spray failed to work, I'll start breaking things with he blackthorn. My pocketknife is just for opening packages, cutting bait or fishing line, whittling a perfect hot dog stick for the grandkids, and other small cutting jobs.

The collection/buying thing can get out of hand if you aren't careful.

Jackknife,
You make a lot of sense. I wish I could follow your lead.
I’m in my late 60’s and still keep buying knives, some of which I have never used. They are still in their boxes.
Every time I look a see another one I think I need. I buy it and it sits in the drawer with all the rest. I must have 50 by now.
The same for guns but I won’t even get started on the subject.

You have really made me question what I’m doing.
Maybe I should just give all of them to my son except for a few that have a special meaning to me and stop buying more.

I share jackknife's outlook on this. I'm in my sixty's and figure what the heck am I gonna do with all these knives (100+ of various types). So, I sold off a portion of my collection recently, about a quarter of it, mostly to get the experience in selling them, since I'll have to do that someday anyway, and also just to thin the herd a little.

So what do I do? I used all the profit to buy more knives and then some, so now I have more than I did before the sell-off. Go figure:rolleyes:.

I can't imagine ever being at zero, even under rough times. I would always want something to carry. though it might not cost a lot. I doubt I will get anywhere close, but zero-no

I was looking for a gun that I inherited from my grandfather over the Christmas break and realized I have way too many knives so I sold 8 or 9...but then ended up buying 2 nicer (higher $) knives, an ounce of platinum and a Ruger SP 101 .357 magnum so I did cut back the knife count but not really the item count. On the positive side, I do still have a couple hundred $ left over to buy something else :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I won't get rid of all, but I am starting to thin my heard by gifting a few to friends, found a home for a large chunk of my SAKs, junked some that have no value, and will sell others. I have too many, and a lot I won't carry.

I purge every so often.
And I have also been known to give knives away here on the forum (best joke...pick a number...etc...) and I'm getting ready to do this again.
the undeniable fact is clear...
I have more knives than I need, and I have no children to pass them down to.
And I'm not too keen on giving knives to friends (bad luck superstitions and all).

I like nice things. The temptation to collect more nice things is here every day. But I only buy what I need and actually use. That doesn't prevent me from having different tools for different tasks. Just not multiples of the same tool.

Right now I have two too many dive watches but that will change again as I change those up when I can afford to. I find that use categories help my discipline a lot.

What arrangements have you vintage *cough* guys made that if you cash in your chips first your better half doesn't get hosed when she has to sell your 100 knives? In the gun world guys try to keep an inventory with current values, anyone do that with knives?

I just buy the ones i like and keep them and from time to time i carry almost all of them at some time.
I would like to get a group together in my city and do some trading this would be fun.

What arrangements have you vintage *cough* guys made that if you cash in your chips first your better half doesn't get hosed when she has to sell your 100 knives? In the gun world guys try to keep an inventory with current values, anyone do that with knives?

I thought of that.

That was one of the reasons I did the huge downsize. I gathered just what I really wanted to keep, and the rest was all given to the kids, grandkids, nephew, niece, friends and old co-workers, and give aways on this a a few other forums. I had them all over for a backyard BBQ, and had a long table in the house with all the stuff spread out. Everybody got what they wanted and I lightened my load. It wa so much fun seeing them enjoy getting the stuff while I was still alive to witness it. Now with just a few SAK's and a couple of pocket knives, I don't have to worry. Did the same with my guns. I held back just a few of my old favorites and everything else went to the family. What the family didn't want, I sold off at a gun show and got fair price for.

Back