I'd Buy a Knife Over a Gun

I like guns, but I’m more of a knife guy myself. I rarely conceal carry a gun because it feels very awkward to me since I’m a big guy. However, I rarely leave home without a knife. I buy knives, make knives, sell knives, trade knives, use knives, and have actually gave knives away.

I have this debate more often than i would like, with a close friend who ive known for over 35years.
He likes guns, anykind make model etc.
but he only buys cheaper models. So that he can have a higher quantity.
He has alot of guns. And a few knives. The guns are from various countries, and all his knives are all made from china.

i like guns and knives, my guns are all higher end USA made, my knives are all usa made with the Andre Thorburn exception which i have more than a few of. I had allot of contemplation buying a Thorburn. Cause it came from another country. im a strong believer of buying US made.
my Dad gave me a Bmw years ago, and i let it sit outside next to my garage for over 3 years cause i wouldnt drive it.

everytime when we are around our crowd, this kind of debate arises. Cause they always ask what I have in my pockets.
and me and him bicker over what makes sense to each of us. I do it more less to bust his which he has never caught on to.

i love it when i show him a new knife that costs me 750-2000, and he says what the hell. I couldve bought so many guns with that.

its been a couple years since ive bought a gun. But i buy knives on a regular basis. I just have more uses for a knife.
And i use them Daily, to me they are more of a tool than anything.

Apples to oranges. I'm not cutting anything with guns, and not shooting anything with knives.

You'll never be able to cut anything with a gun they said.... :D

E3jHjI2.jpg

Apologies to those that have seen this pic four hundred times already. :eek:

I often hear the "if I were to spend over X number of dollars I'd just buy a gun". What if you are a huge gun guy, but already have all the guns you will ever need or want. There also is the point that gets thrown around, "You can do more with a gun than with a knife". That seems true, because guns can protect life and limb, BUT on a day to day basis you might use a knife more. Training and hunting are both great but those both require a time and monitary comitment to go out, buy ammo, and shoot. Knives can be with you all day every day to use and in some cases help you earn your wage. Mostly I am just wondering what are your thoughts on knife vs gun. Which would you buy and for what reason? Also what is your cut off amount? For me I have all the gats I need so I tend to put my money into blades. However, over $800 it will go to a gun or something else. That is my absolute max for a blade. (Only reached once) Cheers guys!
Can you even find ammo?

I have enough guns, but more ammo is always good. Very hard to get it here in prices that aren’t stupid high.

Example: Remington Core-lokt in .270 is $80+ for a box of 20.

Barf.

7.62x39 used to be $20 a box, now it’s up to $50 and that’s for steel case corrosive junk.

Gag.

I can still buy good knives and not worry about illegal mag sizes, restrictions on shipping, variable Ammo rates and availability. Month long wait for a single handgun with neutered mags, and only one per permit, and only good for 30 days. Long gun permit only lasts a year. Full background checks and the police chief has to sign off. No concealed carry options here either. It sucks.

At least with knives (so far) I can still purchase and get most offerings with the exception of Bali’s and OTF.

I don’t particularly have any desire to purchase knives over $150. I feel guilty using them and don’t value the gains of quality over that price point at this stage of my life.

Let me know if you need any. I can get it for WAY cheaper than you can over there.

Can you even find ammo?

You just gotta look in the right places and be on the right forums, and you get ammo for pre-election prices.

I own two guns and that's likely more than I'll ever need. I maintain them, practice with them so my aim doesn't deteriorate, but that's about it. They're tools to me in the same way hammers or screwdrivers are. I suspect that puts me in the minority here, but I don't watch for what new guns are coming out or lust after different ones, the ones I have are fine.

Knives, on the other hand, are my hobby and I could probably buy one every day and still find more that I wanted to at least handle. No idea why they hit me that way so much more than guns but, well, I'm here on Bladeforums, not on Glock Talk, so I can't deny that they do.

I mean...all this, really.

I have a list of gun types that I plan on getting over time, but I don't have an interest in having more than several, each for dedicated use cases. Their primary purpose for me is self protection and the protection of loved ones, so my thinking is that I need to be very familiar with the ones I have. Having too many means being less prepared with them during times when stress is high and quick decisions need to be made. I also think that way about knives that are intended for similar purposes. Of course, a knife for defensive purposes would be a last resort, but then again, so would the use of any violence, especially the kind that increases the risk of lethal force.

Knives are used for other purposes way more often and they're way more useful in the day to day. They're also generally cheaper, so it's easier (for me) to be more financially responsible with the hobby.

I perused the big online gun dealers and have come to the conclusion that we will all now buy knives over guns, since apparently there are no guns to be had.

I perused the big online gun dealers and have come to the conclusion that we will all now buy knives over guns, since apparently there are no guns to be had.
It's nuts right now. Maybe after the election it will get better. No, I'm not starting a political debate but I still have hope.

Back