I'd Buy a Knife Over a Gun

It's an apples and oranges comparison. A knife and a gun compliment each other and don't fight over the same space as a possession.

I carry and use my knives daily, at work and at home. A gun not so much.
Even when ammo was cheap it was easy to shoot $200 or more at a time. 2 bill$ is a nice knife that would last forever.

Gun laws in my country (France) are quite restrictive (which I'm grateful for in some way, we could debate that but I don't want to start a war ^^) so the question is quickly answered. But if they weren't I don't think I'd buy firearms the same way I buy knives, I enjoy knives for more than their initial utilitarian purpose, and while I can appreciate the design of a nice firearm I don't see them as collectible as knives can be.

I hadn't stopped with knife collecting but kind of narrowed interests down to particular niches, that does seem to evolve from time to time. I do believe the firearm collecting has now stopped in such a way that I am satisfied with what I've got. I have recently become obsessed with modern compound bows and accessories these days. Accuracy and distance, speed and consistency. It's all linked to the outdoor lure, it draws me in because it's all linked together. I am not bored so much, I'm just moving forward as my lifestyle shifts into different things and different experiences.

Is there some reason why I can't send a private message?
Usually, it's because either you're brand-spanking new and not trusted by the forum software yet or because the person you're trying to PM has not checked the box in their profile to allow PMs from other members.

If we view the gun as a self defense weapon and the knife as a tool/last-ditch weapon, there's another option: Get pepper spray or a stun gun as the self defense weapon and keep the knife as a tool/last-ditch weapon. One just has to be aware of the wind, with pepper spray, and one has to be close for a stun gun. Also, a lot of the places that don't allow guns also don't allow pepper spray or stun guns.

Another option for self defense and with a bit more range than pepper spray is hornet spray. The cans are bigger than pepper spray canisters, but it has a tight pattern, so it will go 12'. Even with the bigger can, it's a great option for around the house.

This country has more guns in the hands of civilians than the entire world's militaries combined. It has ~400x as many guns as all the police departments combined. This line has always been a political scare tactic. Remember when that one president took everyone's guns? Me neither. It's possible to fight for rights without lying to ourselves.

But they are eroding our rights, little by little, with every piece of legislation. And what they take away today, you WILL NOT get back tomorrow. Magazine capacity limits, states that require you to apply for a separate license for each firearm you buy, a $200 tax stamp just to have a rifle with a 2” shorter barrel, tighter restrictions on who can own what, and the hoops you have to jump through to purchase something. The list of how they are slowly encroaching on our rights, whether by the Feds or individual states, grows with every legislative cycle. Remember the Clinton era AWB that had a sunset clause... yeah, they won’t make that mistake again.

No, they don’t plan to take our firearms away, just slowly legislate the 2A until the average citizen can’t possibly jump through all the hoops required to exercise our rights. They won’t take your freedoms, they’ll convince your fellow citizens to vote them away.

Yeah, it’s possible to fight for our rights without lying to ourselves, so let’s not.

But they are eroding our rights, little by little, with every piece of legislation. And what they take away today, you WILL NOT get back tomorrow. Magazine capacity limits, states that require you to apply for a separate license for each firearm you buy, a $200 tax stamp just to have a rifle with a 2” shorter barrel, tighter restrictions on who can own what, and the hoops you have to jump through to purchase something. The list of how they are slowly encroaching on our rights, whether by the Feds or individual states, grows with every legislative cycle. Remember the Clinton era AWB that had a sunset clause... yeah, they won’t make that mistake again.

No, they don’t plan to take our firearms away, just slowly legislate the 2A until the average citizen can’t possibly jump through all the hoops required to exercise our rights. They won’t take your freedoms, they’ll convince your fellow citizens to vote them away.

Yeah, it’s possible to fight for our rights without lying to ourselves, so let’s not.

Yall have to get together and protest and put them in their place!

A018-F5-EE-8-F59-4-F0-B-A2-D7-DB171-AEA2-D22.jpg

Buy both, while you still can.

I usually hear this as "spending gun money on a knife". It makes sense when comparing the entry-level costs and curves of diminishing return for either. For instance, what is the least expensive example of either that will meet your normal EDC needs?

Obviously, needs can vary. As others have mentioned, guns and knives generally serve different purposes. Setting aside recreational value, EDC knives are there for your regular cutting needs while EDC guns are there in case of defensive emergencies. Knives can double as defensive tools but there are important limitations attached.

Looking at my own EDC, my knife needs can be pretty well satisfied by a Civivi Baklash. Even considering that I got the more expensive one with wood scales, it still cost something like a tenth of what I normally carry for guns.

Back