If you could only have 1

I was lucky to score this one, which I am pretty sure is the only one done by norcal blacktail. Full refinish in satin with a screaming edge

DnEbdUk.jpg
I still have my basic 11, I want to try out a Basic 9 one of these days if I can find a user for a good price. NorCal black tail learned by Ban Tang too, bet that thing has a screaming edge to it.

I still have my basic 11, I want to try out a Basic 9 one of these days if I can find a user for a good price. NorCal black tail learned by Ban Tang too, bet that thing has a screaming edge to it.

it does. I have not had a chance to use it yet, as it is not my go to blade. But maybe this winter, I will get a chance to use it.

I would love to see you do some work side by side with a SHBM and your basic 11 and see which comes out on top as an actual user. Please tag me in that post if you get to it.

I do believe the B11 is more efficient knife, lighter, more blade, etc. But my old beater SHBM is one of those original total hand ground blades that isn't really a true flat grind, more of a convex/flat grind to the edge. So it has a lot of forward weight and behaves more like an FBM. I am positive the B11 will not touch it.

jlXQpMm.jpg

An observation of mine was that the B11 feels like it would be better as a chopper, and more comfortable in hand for that task cause of the pinky bite that the SHBM is known for. Being that I don’t really chop that much, and baton more often, I feel like the SHBM comes out on top as a better all around large knife that is lively in the hand, and could actually be used for smaller tasks cause it’s easier and moves well as a balanced big blade. If that makes any sense.

An observation of mine was that the B11 feels like it would be better as a chopper, and more comfortable in hand for that task cause of the pinky bite that the SHBM is known for. Being that I don’t really chop that much, and baton more often, I feel like the SHBM comes out on top as a better all around large knife that is lively in the hand, and could actually be used for smaller tasks cause it’s easier and moves well as a balanced big blade. If that makes any sense.
There is no doubt the basic handle is more comfortable than any other handle.
The pinky bite is an issue, for some, but after a few chords of wood, everything settles in and no issue.

A good example is this video by Cliff. he is using a small axe, a custom khukuri by gavko, a monster half inch thick keffeler and his SHBM. The SHBM was probably just used as a reference and only the monster keffeler beat it, but that would have beat anything at it's weight.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity has anyone gone with the totally immature answer of “your mom” for this topic?

It’s been quite a while since I’ve had occasion to throw that one out, you know, because I haven’t been a teenager in decades.

Last edited:
View attachment 1162625

This is not an easy question to answer.

If you could only have 1 Busse for the rest of your days... Which one would you choose ?

ONLY ONE.

Yeah , I’m caffeinated and off work today. I have been spending the past few hours attempting to post some INFI for sale (no luck).

The knife that seems the safest right now is the NMSFNO. It covers most bases if you could only have 1 knife.

What Busse would you choose if only one could be had ?
Started with a NMSFNO and moved into a basic 7 after 3 years, what made you swap luethge luethge

Did you keep your asymetric edge or get it regrinded?

Last edited:
Started with a NMSFNO and moved into a basic 7 after 3 years, what made you swap luethge luethge

Weight

I tried carrying a NMSFNO on one hike in hot weather. Would definitely be my “only one knife for the apocalypse knife”. Honestly, maybe the title of thread should have been.. If you could only have 10 😂. I haven’t handled a Busse or Kin I didn’t like yet. Lost count of them a few years back.

INFI is incredible ( so is M-INFI, SR101 and SR77).

I tried carrying a NMSFNO on one hike in hot weather. Would definitely be my “only one knife for the apocalypse knife”

Honestly, maybe the title of thread should have been.. If you could only have 10 😂.

I haven’t handled a Busse or Kin I didn’t like yet. Lost count of them a few years back.

INFI is incredible ( so is M-INFI, SR101 and SR77).
The M-infi are incredibly light and nimble, glad I picked up a 5, 7, 9 when I had the chance.

Great pieces of kit, Smooth coat is just far more appealing than the crinkle for sure.

Back