If you could only have ONE knife to survive with...

I know that that thought of only having one knife ever is a scary thought, but if you could only carry one knife in a life or death survival situation what would it be??

:eek:

A really sharp CT1 machete. If I don't get to guess the environment. But, it likely wouldn't change anyway.

ESEE 6, does many things well (small and large tasks), light weight.

1019480695_4i3wb-L.jpg

Funny you should post this... My girlfriend asked me just last evening why I had/needed so many gun's, and knives, if SHTF and we had to pack up and go, would'nt you only be able to grab one gun, and one knife... this really got me thinking because it would take me a full day to pack up just my guns and knives, and would need a full size pick up to trasport all the stuff. With all this said, I don't know! I need to really to think about this, and come up with a better plan. I do have my Izzy II, and Colt .45 with me at all times along with my PSK.

My preparations, what I practice, is to be able to use anything, including broken knives, for survival situations.

I have used a lot of knives over the years and in this vein, here in this forum, I actually started out with a Ontario RAT-3 and I was so impressed with the ease of sharpening and edgeholding abilities, I started getting into RAT, now ESEE, knives. I have a good amount of experience with them. I've cleaned fish and cut meat with them but I have not dressed out small or large game, other than fish, with them yet. I don't have the resources to hunt in this area, time, money, etc. But I have done a lot of stuff out in the woods with my various knives and although I have not used it yet, I have only had it for a few days...the ESEE (SERE) 5 would probably be my choice.

I cannot think of anything that I would have to do with this knife in a survival situation that would make it fail.

There might be some things/tasks that people want to do with knives or they have convinced themselves that they must/need to do with them...but that's different from the reality of the situation.

This knife is a beast and, for me, because of where I live and being given the hairy eyeball by people in the woods or hassled by those folks they tend to call, this is about the best size in a large knife for me. Big enough to get the job done without being suffering from the freakout factor of the Junglas. Not that the J is not a good choice, it would be for folks who need a big chopper. But carrying that thing even in a camping area around here might cause some ripples in a pond I'd rather not swim in, if you get my drift. :D

I'm surprised no one has ever asked this question before. :rolleyes:

As opposed to "should I get a 3 or 4"?

I'm a big fan of the 4. But I might lean toward the 5 in case I need to baton through a space shuttle fuselage. Hey man, you never know.

My 5. That's why I got it.

After we are all gone and the sun sets in fallout-induced afterglow, there will be a 6' cockroach eating a twinkie with an ESEE-5 strapped to his belt thinking "man, I sort of miss those filthy humans..."

Back