If you had to choose one

So my favorite sak is the Fieldmaster, followed closely by the Huntsman. The only diffrence between them is the Phillips/corkscrew. They have everything I need and nothing i don't. In a total urban setting I often carry a Super Tinker instead as I don't then need the woodsaw.

Jim

As mentioned above, it is going to vary person to person according to need.

Many find just one won't do and combine their main carry with a Minichamp, Rambler, Classic. Etc.

But most sensible people such as myself, find the alox electrician is the obvious best choice. Lol. :D

Some words of wisdom here, IMHO. :D

I carry an Electrician almost every day; I like having 2 cutting blades, and I really enjoy the look and feel of alox. But I also carry a Classic and use the scissors far more often than I'd have predicted before I got a Classic.

If I think about the tools I'd use most often, I'd probably want 2 blades, cap-lifter/screwdriver, scissors, saw, and phillips. To get that all in one production knife, I'm looking at a Fieldmaster, right? Don't know if I'd like carrying 4 layers. :confused::confused:

This is a hard question! :eek::eek::eek: If I had to, I could function quite capably with a Recruit and a Classic, but I'd miss the aesthetic appeal of alox.

- GT

^ Try finding a used Cadet 2. Discontinued, but I think you could still find one on the large auction site. That's one I am seriously trying to find.

^ Try finding a used Cadet 2. Discontinued, but I think you could still find one on the large auction site. That's one I am seriously trying to find.

Keep a eye out. They come up all the time. Finding one that is reasonably priced will be the challenge.

I like 2 layer SAKs, so for me my two favorites are the Pioneer and the tourist. These days I carry a pioneer everyday, but keep a tourist in my backpack just in case I change my mind, or need one of the extra tools. Can't beat Alox honestly...

Keep a eye out. They come up all the time. Finding one that is reasonably priced will be the challenge.

Thanks, Ben and Capt. I occasionally look for a Cadet 2, but I'm probably too cheap and not obsessive enough to have much chance of finding one. I have a number of "wouldn't it be nice …" knives like non-silver Farmers, Cadet 2, and Popular that I'd like to track down some day, but I don't seem to have the time to devote to a serious search.

- GT

Thanks, Ben and Capt. I occasionally look for a Cadet 2, but I'm probably too cheap and not obsessive enough to have much chance of finding one. I have a number of "wouldn't it be nice …" knives like non-silver Farmers, Cadet 2, and Popular that I'd like to track down some day, but I don't seem to have the time to devote to a serious search.

- GT

I know how that goes. I do not use EBAY so finding certain knives in near impossible for me. I'm sure one will come around before to long.

Here Here to whatever fits your need! For me that is my college companion the craftsman which seems to have everything for every conceivable issue in a dorm.

If only one, the Swisschamp for versatility. But I find myself grabbing a pioneer most often, great little toolset, and feels more robust than a 91mm...

I narrowed it down to two knives pretty quickly ….. either an Electrician Plus or a Farmer. Small blade vs. the can opener/small screwdriver. In the end I picked the Farmer. I figured that if push came to shove I could use the regular blade where I might prefer the small blade, but there's no substitute for the small screwdriver when that's what you need.

Now, if you also let me carry my Rambler ….. ;)

The one that I carry most often is the Pioneer, it fits my daily needs for a pocket knife.

Stylus

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nowadays I find a stylus more useful than a pen. A 74 mm SAK with a double-ended pen/stylus — now that would be ideal.

Stylus1.jpgStylus2.jpg

Only one? That's a nightmare I don't want to have. The Harvester gets my vote. Tough, has the tools I'm most likely to use, and if something should happen to that awesome little pruning blade it would be easy to make in to a nice sheepsfoot blade. Second choice would be an electrician.

Either a Pioneer or a Farmer (same knife except the Farmer has a saw added). :thumbup:

Me? It would be the Farmer as I do have occasion to use the saw and it works great. If you don't need a saw then my definite choice is the Pioneer.

I need good pliers with hard wire cutters for fence work so I edc either a Leatherman Surge or Wave but I carry a Trekker and a Swiss Chamo regularly and it is very useful, somerimes for things I never imagined I would need it for.

Back