If you had to choose one

I started with the Small Tinker, carried the Climber for 30+ years, then went through a period of flirtation... Compact, Farmer, Huntsman... Now I'm committed: the Cadet, in silver. Love the look of the colored ones, but they inevitably get scuffed and nicked. The silver Cadet is a joy to carry and use, and it will stay good looking for the rest of my life.

I couldn't agree more with you SAK guy it would have to be my Swiss Champ. However I would really miss my 08 Soldier.

Last edited:
Outdoors: SwissChamp

Indoors/Urban/Tech: Cybertool Lite

World Traveler: Expedition Lite

Marine: Boatsman

One hand open capability: One hand Locksmith

I need pliers too much to not carry my Leatherman on my belt, but I very regularly also carry a Pioneer, especially when I can't carry the Leatherman for whatever reason; so I guess I'd have to say I'd choose the Pioneer. That being said, if I were only choosing one sak ever for anything at all right now, of the ones I own, I think I'd have to go with the One Hand Trekker. Its got everything the Pioneer does, plus a saw, philips driver, toothpick and tweezers, and its blade is longer, locking, and one hand opening. Its slim enough for normal pocket carry and has all the tools I need the most besides pliers. If only it were alox too.. I am very thankful I don't actually have to make this decision; the Trekker and the Pioneer both have their place and I'd prefer to not have to use just one! I also like the Hercules and Atlas, but I don't have either so I can't say whether I'd love them enough to forego my others.

The Swiss Champ is just too bulky for me, it won't fit well in a pocket, and if you're going to a belt sheath then a Swisstool or leatherman is better.

Can't believe only one vote for the Explorer. The Swiss Champ is beefy, and I carry a PowerLock to use for pliers. The Explorer (Plus) is awesome and goes in my pocket every day.

Of course if I'm just cruising around in gym shorts, the Classic SD is on my keychain.

A6990543-CDBF-459E-90D3-D9DA710E1D0F_zps9yo6rxu0.jpg

51D934AD-321A-48CC-AA6B-B5C52D108F87_zpsolqitzj0.jpg

For the outdoors the Farmer is king, but if you don't need a saw the Pioneer is an outstanding choice. I'm torn between which is my favorite - Farmer or Pioneer???

Lately it's been this black Pioneer. :D

Jeff, I understand your dilemma. I don't have a Farmer (yet), but I'm torn between these two:
fhXtZHtl.jpg

I find lots of uses for the short sheepsfoot blade on the silver Electrician, and I've carried it almost every day since I received it early last October. But the black Pioneer that I bought around Christmas deserves some pocket time, too. It also LOOKS so good. :D

My current solution is to continue carrying the Electrician daily, and carry a second SAK just because I can; the second one is one of the Pioneer, a Tinker, a Recruit, or a Camper that each have "1 week on, 3 weeks off" duty. (The second one is actually a third one since I always also carry a Vic Classic or Minichamp. :p)

- GT

Jeff, I understand your dilemma. I don't have a Farmer (yet), but I'm torn between these two:
I find lots of uses for the short sheepsfoot blade on the silver Electrician, and I've carried it almost every day since I received it early last October. But the black Pioneer that I bought around Christmas deserves some pocket time, too. It also LOOKS so good. :D

My current solution is to continue carrying the Electrician daily, and carry a second SAK just because I can; the second one is one of the Pioneer, a Tinker, a Recruit, or a Camper that each have "1 week on, 3 weeks off" duty. (The second one is actually a third one since I always also carry a Vic Classic or Minichamp. :p)

- GT

I've eyed the Electrician many times! I'd say it's a near tie with the Pioneer - I love a sheepfoot blade - so I'd not complain at all if I had an Electrician in my pocket.

The SAK I EDC is the Victorinox Swisschamp, the standard Swisschamp not any of the ridiculously huge versions. It drops nicely into my pocket, and I don't even notice it until I need it. Surprisingly enough I've found a use for every tool on it except the toothpick, even the package hook, cork screw and the fish scaler/hook remover/ruler that most people say are useless. OK, I've never actually used the scaler, but I have used the ruler & the hook remover despite the fact that I'm not a fisherman. The hook remover is great for cleaning under your fingernails. The cork screw is handy for untying tight knots in things like paracord & bankline, and the package hook is a good tool for tying really tight lashings to make things like tripods when I'm camping. (You wrap the cordage around the hook and use the knife as a handle to really pull the lashing tight.) It's the most useful of all the SAK's I've ever had.

I've eyed the Electrician many times! I'd say it's a near tie with the Pioneer - I love a sheepfoot blade - so I'd not complain at all if I had an Electrician in my pocket.

I love the electrician blade, but am bummed it doesn't come with the key ring attachment. I use a P7 suspension clip for my SAK's so that is why my electrician hangs out on the shelf and the Pioneer is an EDC

The SAK I EDC is the Victorinox Swisschamp, the standard Swisschamp not any of the ridiculously huge versions. It drops nicely into my pocket, and I don't even notice it until I need it. Surprisingly enough I've found a use for every tool on it except the toothpick, even the package hook, cork screw and the fish scaler/hook remover/ruler that most people say are useless. OK, I've never actually used the scaler, but I have used the ruler & the hook remover despite the fact that I'm not a fisherman. The hook remover is great for cleaning under your fingernails. The cork screw is handy for untying tight knots in things like paracord & bankline, and the package hook is a good tool for tying really tight lashings to make things like tripods when I'm camping. (You wrap the cordage around the hook and use the knife as a handle to really pull the lashing tight.) It's the most useful of all the SAK's I've ever had.

Great testimony ref one of the all time classics in the SAK line-up. It's a classic among classics! :thumbup:

Alox Cadet. A smaller Vic but I carry it every day regardless of which other knives come and go.

Back