If you had to choose one

The SAK I EDC is the Victorinox Swisschamp, the standard Swisschamp not any of the ridiculously huge versions. It drops nicely into my pocket, and I don't even notice it until I need it. Surprisingly enough I've found a use for every tool on it except the toothpick, even the package hook, cork screw and the fish scaler/hook remover/ruler that most people say are useless. OK, I've never actually used the scaler, but I have used the ruler & the hook remover despite the fact that I'm not a fisherman. The hook remover is great for cleaning under your fingernails. The cork screw is handy for untying tight knots in things like paracord & bankline, and the package hook is a good tool for tying really tight lashings to make things like tripods when I'm camping. (You wrap the cordage around the hook and use the knife as a handle to really pull the lashing tight.) It's the most useful of all the SAK's I've ever had.

+1 :thumbup: It was my only multi-tool for years, during which I used every implement on it except for the back mounted small screwdriver. I used the fish scaler once for scaling fish, from which experience I learned to never do it again :eek:, but I used it many times for other purposes, often as a probe for things I couldn't or didn't want to touch and a couple of times as a field expedient fork (washing it carefully beforehand ;) ). These days I use it seldom, but if I had to reduce my Vic inventory down to one, that would be the keeper.

So far the one that's my favorite, and the most useful to me, is my Fieldmaster. That thing has come in exceedingly handy, especially when the dedicated kitchen can opener broke on us.

I have a Tinker Deluxe. I remember getting it about 5 years ago after misplacing my previous SAK and that one never showed up again. Anyway I did get a Leatherman Sidekick thinking I'd like it better, but other than a better pliers, it sucks. The tools on the TD are just handier to get to, the small blade opens my mail and the longer one dices onion alright as well as other cutting chores. As for the pliers, it does have a nominal wire cutter and the pliers is handy on very small nuts and bolts. I've rarely had need for a pliers anyway yet I wouldn't want to be without the one on my TD. I don't think there is a perfect knife for every situation but the Tinker Deluxe seems to have the 90+ percent down for me. I have a Buck 110 for my belt when I go fishing and other woodsy things and the Sidekick will be relegated to the tackle box, it's nice enough to keep but will never replace a good SAK.

Just bought a Recruit, yesterday. Nice knife, but I think I'm going to get a Super Tinker or Huntsman.
The Recruit is pretty much the same as my USA Army utility knife (spear point, can opener, punch, flat blade screwdriver with cap lifter, all stainless steel including the handle) The SAK recruit replaced the punch with a pen blade, and added a toothpick and tweezers that are stored in the covers. I need the punch more oft than a pen blade (which is on my canoe that I co-carry, anyway). The Super Tinker and Huntsman have what I need (or want).

Really tough. It'd either be a SwissChamp, SwissChamp XLT, Cybertool 35, Compact, or Econoline Climber.

Probably a SwissChamp.

WorkChamp

p1242797773-5.jpg

Simply going by what I do on a daily basis, I carry a traditional knife (stockman, whittler, jack, or Barlow) and a Minichamp with it. I use the traditional fir knife work, and the Minichamp has everything else I need in a tiny package. I got a bottle opener, pen, philips and regular screwdrivers, nail cleaner, ruler, scissors, and a few a few things that I rarely use (like the spatula that looks like a coke spoon), plus some small sharp blades.

If I go out trekking, I carry a Swisschamp in a survival pouch on my belt, along with some survival stuff (matches, bandaid, compass, etc.).

Simply going by what I do on a daily basis, I carry a traditional knife (stockman, whittler, jack, or Barlow) and a Minichamp with it. I use the traditional fir knife work, and the Minichamp has everything else I need in a tiny package. I got a bottle opener, pen, philips and regular screwdrivers, nail cleaner, ruler, scissors, and a few a few things that I rarely use (like the spatula that looks like a coke spoon), plus some small sharp blades.

If I go out trekking, I carry a Swisschamp in a survival pouch on my belt, along with some survival stuff (matches, bandaid, compass, etc.).

I like your choice, dma1965!! :thumbup::thumbup: I used to carry a Classic all the time, but the Minichamp carries just as easily for me and adds the pen, caplifter, and small Philips, all of which I use quite often.

- GT

I love the electrician blade, but am bummed it doesn't come with the key ring attachment. I use a P7 suspension clip for my SAK's so that is why my electrician hangs out on the shelf and the Pioneer is an EDC

You could always get a Victorinox, cordura or leather belt pouch for it instead.

The Deluxe Tinker is my favorite. It's the only knife I carry when I travel or go on vacation.

I have 7 SAK's and all have their uses for me, but my Classic has a permanent home in my pocket. If I ever lose it or it breaks for some reason, I will probably replace it with an alox classic because I rarely use the tweezers and pick and I'd rather have a bit smaller profile.

Definitely the One-Hand-Trekker for normal EDC and a Tinker for those places that don't allow locking knives.

With me, it is seasonal. During the summer and moderate seasons when I'm often outdoors, its the OH Trekker, which I have grown to love. It fits me so good I actually get the enjoys from simply handling it. Mine rides belt attached by lanyard into my LF pocket even now.
During winter and blustery times of the year when I'm mostly indoors, it was formerly Tinker, but currently Sportsman II, because for the first time ever, a handy corkscrew has become a necessity in my normal routine.
When I originally bought the SPII, it was only because of a post-season blowout sale at a local chain store. My Tinker already filled that size niche for me, so I didn't really need it, but at the price, I thought it would at least make a nice gift for some lucky recipient. But then our dedicated wing type corkscrew broke. The only other cork pullers we owned were on my wife's Climber, my old and semi-retired Swisschamp, and the Sportsman II. Being the kind of guy who subscribes to this type of forum, it didn't take much convincing for me to choose the SPII, "just because."
Well, the corkscrew works great, and the little SAK has grown on me. At first I had thought the difference in size was too small to make a meaningful difference, but now I think otherwise. It seems the 84mm Vics give up very little in capability vs. the 91mm versions in return for a whole lot better pocket carry.

The SAK I use the most is the Classic on my keychain, mostly for the file and scissors. I'd like a larger pair of scissors, but it's difficult to find a larger SAK that has both large scissors and a nail file that isn't 4+ layers (too big for comfortable pocket carry).

In fact, the only 2 layer SAK I know of that has large scissors is the Compact, but I've never seen one in person.

Last edited:
I prefer the scissors and nail file on the Executive over the ones on the Classic. The Executive is smaller than the Recruit, but it and its scissors are larger than the Classic-sized SAKs. I also feel that the Exec's nail file is superior to the Classic's.

Jim

After 5 years with a Tinker Deluxe I decided to get the Explorer Plus. I gave up that small pliers but gained a better Philips, corkscrew, and a magnifying glass. Also there's a pin and a pen. I will probably miss the pliers along the way but I missed the philips more. The phillips on the bottom side often couldn't get to deep recessed screws and I ran into that more than I used the pliers. I had a SAC years ago with the magnifying glass and it was handy and oft used. What's real neat as that little pen. Ive often been in situations where I needed a pen and didn't have one as has most of humanity. That problem is taken care of now.
Overall I think the Explorer Plus will serve me well and I'll keep my TD for a backup.

I always have a Victorinox Spartan in a sheath on my belt, with a Classic on my key ring:D

Back