Ikuchi

It's a bit too sharp at the wheel though, is there already a general consensus as to how to best remedy this without losing too much traction?
I don't think it is the jimping per se but the angular edge that catches the lock. When I open it quickly this part catches my finger pad and scratches downward. I took a medium Sharpmaker rod and gently rounded top part of the wheel, which made a difference, but I don't want to round it too much as this catches the safety.

It's not a huge deal for normal use but for a blade with such a nice and tempting opening mechanism it can really tenderize your finger. Between this and the protruding point this knife has some pretty big ergonomic issues that can be easily fixed, and should be for the next batch. I'm surprised these weren't detected before production. I really like this knife but I wish it didn't cut me when closed, opening, and open :)

I don't think it is the jimping per se but the angular edge that catches the lock. When I open it quickly this part catches my finger pad and scratches downward. I took a medium Sharpmaker rod and gently rounded top part of the wheel, which made a difference, but I don't want to round it too much as this catches the safety.

It's not a huge deal for normal use but for a blade with such a nice and tempting opening mechanism it can really tenderize your finger. Between this and the protruding point this knife has some pretty big ergonomic issues that can be easily fixed, and should be for the next batch. I'm surprised these weren't detected before production. I really like this knife but I wish it didn't cut me when closed, opening, and open :)

I really like it too. The wheel can certainly grind your finger but I can live with that. The cutting you when closed is a pretty big deal and I'm a bit surprised it escaped into the wild like that.

A Sharpmaker rod to dehorn the tip is an easy fix but.... shouldn't have to do it, like you said, if they run the knife again I'm sure there will a fix in the design.

Last edited:
I am surprised that Spyderco hasn’t addressed the cutting issue.

They haven't publicly addressed it. I'm sure they're evaluating it.
I've said this before - their manufacturing process allows for obvious defects to show up in a first production run. I'm guessing this issue wasn't obvious on prototypes. They've done this before. It's a shame.

I may be wrong but it seems to me a slightly deeper sharpening choil, and relocating the detent hole would be enough change to get the tip within the frame. Would not take much. Well I guess the hole in the handle would need to migrate slightly as well. Still enjoy the knife but yea, kind of annoying it slipped through.

I'm going to take a medium rod across the wheel then and be gentle about it, thanks for the input!

The knife fires far more reliable after cleaning it and putting decent lube on there.
I came across a bigger issue however.
I couldn't quite manage to get my ikuchi to perfect centering, and I was lost on the cause. I've taken apart every knife I own and centered many Benchmades and the odd spydie over the years so I like to think I know what I'm doing. Upon further inspection I noticed the liner where the comp lock protrudes from was bend slightly. Crazy. When left flat on a glass table either the top or the bottom would be raised a millimeter off the surface.
I've managed to remedy the worst of it, and it's far better now (and the action leaves nothing to be desired), but I've never ever had issues like this. Returning it seems overkill as I'm sure this can be remedied and the lack of supply means it'll be shipped to spyderco and back meaning I'm out one fresh ikuchi for a month - or maybe
2 (eu to states and back).

I could not find similar cases so I reckon I'm unfortunate, if they were in good supply I'd
definitely return it.
Are there any guides or tips as to how to get a straight liner without damaging its structural strength? The fact that the compression lock is on this liner makes me not want to take chances with it too much. If decent tips arise I'll post a picture next time I take it apart, otherwise I'll leave it as is because it's action is smooth and well adjusted without blade play (a notch tighter then desired though). If the compression lock is held down a flick downwards will reliably close it effortlessly, but just knowing about that one liner is annoying me, I know it's sub-optimal and I like to tweak my knives till I get a perfect balance in action and solidity in build (forgive my English Haha).

Edit:
It's hard to photograph correctly but there is slightly more space between the liner holding the compression lock and the blade then opposite on the clip side, yet near optimal centering is achieved. A side of me says to let sleeping dogs lie as I don't know what complications might arise from trying to set a slightly bended liner back straight, new territory and all. I've got a pretty good idea of what to do but theory and practice work out quite different most of the time.

Pic
1e2uU8P.jpg

Edit 2 better pictures:
mCnDsfX.jpg

It's not hard to see what's going on here when knowing the cause.
I'm over my initial disappointment on this front and carried it quite a bit, it's a very sexy little thing and eventually I'll likely buy a backup as well as I do with most of my favorite knives (and it's affordable to boot)
PZNzHu1.jpg

Last edited:
D Dodgie02 mine seems to have the same issue.

Looking at mine just last night I almost convinced myself that the blade was warped. Blade is slightly off and seems to bow from pivot to tip.

I like the knife, but a slightly rough roll out on this one.

D Dodgie02 mine seems to have the same issue.

Looking at mine just last night I almost convinced myself that the blade was warped. Blade is slightly off and seems to bow from pivot to tip.

I like the knife, but a slightly rough roll out on this one.
It's a bit of a rocky start for the ikuchi indeed, with my issue and people cutting themselves accidentally. But it's good that feedback is being given, both positive and negative (such a strong word, read it as 'where there is room for improvement').

That being said, after all these negatives being highlighted I would also like to talk about some positives. Once you clean and lube up the ikuchi the knife really shines. I tried to highlight most intended ways of opening the blade and, from regular index finger flip, thumb flip, soft push flip etc. Even with a soft push I had no issues deploying the knife :thumbsup:
Lemme see if I can link my little vids for those interested but deterred by the negative feedback..

Ikuchi deployment action part one

And part 2

This knife has a lot going for it! Hope future renditions will be subject to cqi, but there isn't any huge reason to hold back if you're on the fence now. If you're a bit handy with knives the ikuchi is very easily tweakable to your personal perfection :)

Back