Impinda slipjoint... as I see it (after 2 months of field use)

It's not a table top review, but rather a field report... it can be read online at PackConfig blog (UK based, so obvious choice) but I re-write it also here for you. Original link: PackConfig.com - Impinda Review

Slipjoint folder! From Chris Reeve Knives! It's a bold move... but clearly shows, that in a changing world you just have to adapt to stay on top. So with more and more countries banning one-hand locking folders the answer is... yeah, a tough slipjoint. Sure, CRK could have just developed a small Sebenza in such a form, but instead they teamed up again with Bill Harsey and created a knife, which is not just functional, but also quite a looker.

20180605-DSCF0109-Edit.jpg

William "Bill" Harsey, foremostly a knife designer but also hunter, fly fisherman and long time lumberjack from Oregon. His most known design is a Chris Reeve Yarborough knife (known as Green Beret on civilian market) - a knife, which is presented to the toughest men in existence, those who completed Special Forces Qualification Course. I've known Bill for at least 14 years now, and it was 6 or 7 years ago, when he showed me his 'small trout' fixed blade during Blade Show, and later in 2016 the unnamed folding variant of that knife. Now it's official - that folding knife design became an early variant of Chris Reeve Knives Impinda, a slipjoint folder a lot of us European knife enthusiasts dreamed of...

impinda_blade18_all_900.jpg

Impinda ("open, repeat" in Zulu) is a hell of a tough slipjoint, with a lot of "hidden tech" in the design. With blade length just under 8cm and non-locking two hand action, it's legal in most places around the world. What's important the actual cutting edge does not exceed 3" so (as I was told) it meets the regulations of a knife legal to carry also in UK, which has one of the most restrictive knife laws today. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me if confronted with a police officer and always ALWAYS check YOUR local knife law. You can check all the specs at CRK website so let's skip to practice straight on. BTW, the way it operates makes it really a 2-hands knife, so there is no worry that one (like police officer) could argue it could be easily opened by flicking it with one hand (like some 'fake one handers' which only mimic slipjoint's look). It is a 2-hands knife, period.

20180605-DSCF0154.jpg

Now some tech-talk. Handle is nicely contoured, safe to grip and finished as most CRK knives with coarse bead-blasting. It's very secure to hold, no questions about it. I really like the clip, which is like a blow of fresh air for the company - it's a new design, 3D sculptured in Titanium, slightly curved and follows the handle's shape. Really well done and clear departure from Sebenza clip (which is also very good btw). But the most interesting part of the handle is hidden inside! When you take a good look at Impinda there is hardly any space between handle slabs and blade. So what about washers? Well... Impinda is equipped with full-size perforated bronze washers, which are precisely nested inside the handle! The tolerances are crazy small! Very clever design and not easy to do. It's the first time I see such a big serious washers nested like this, it's way harder to do than ball bearings. But for slipjoint it's exactly what you want - vault like smooth resistance, not friction-less action of the blade like on a flipper. It's for your fingers' safety.

impinda_tech_900.jpg

Another high-tech detail, developed by Bill and CRK, is the curved design of the joint between backspring and blade. What it does is similar what a cam does in a compound bow - when you open a knife the tension is relatively small and grows over a long way from 1 lbs up, reaches max and sets the blade in place. But the force required to close the blade is a solid 5+ lbs! So in other words: it's easy to open, but very secure and way harder to close (accidently). It might be not the first knife with this kind of approach, but CRK just nailed it with smooth traveling mechanism like no other maker ever before. And last but not least... I really like the "Idaho Made" and Harsey's signature are hidden inside handle slabs in pivot area. The only marking on the outside is a very small CRK logo... minimalism and class at its best!

20180609-DSCF0620.jpg

The blade. It's very Harsey-like in shape while being very non Reeve-like at the same time. Something new from CRK? How's that possible, LOL? Well, that's what happens when new generation take over the steering wheel, and in this case it's been Tim Reeve (Chris' son) who pushed that project to became reality. And that exact shape is perfect for what it's been design for - an EDC kind of knife, for everyday cutting jobs at home, office or vacation. BTW, it might be 'just' a pocket friendly slipjoint, but it's still seriously bigger and bolder than classic Swiss Army Knife:

20180721-DSCF3610.jpg

Such a slim and pointy drop-point blade is clearly a great choice on a slipjoint. This kind of a knife can be useful not just as a stand-alone cutting tool, but also as a fine cutting knife carried together with a hatchet and big broad Nessmuk-style fixed-blade, which together creates a classic 'Nessmuk Trio' (if you're not familiar with that term - just google it... it's worth checking).

20180801-DSCF3901.jpg

Where Sebenza's broad blade screams 'power' this one gently says 'utility'. Without even a smallest hint of being categorized as 'tactical'. But it still can deliver deep cuts like a serious folder, not like a small backpocket 'slippy'. Stout hollow-ground S35VN blade and full-size handle is more than enough to take care of any small to mid sized woodworking project on a camp site, like whittling a tent stake in my case.

20180617-DSCF1015.jpg

Real life use... it's exactly the shape you'd prefer as a personal utility blade, for food processing, cleaning fish, carving, whittling, opening boxes, cutting string, etc. The point is very fine without being too brittle, with help of that long swedge it penetrates easily through leather, meat, all sorts of canvas and like. It's a classic shape, which is quite self-explanatory.

impinda_fish_900.jpg

Overall Impinda is a very handsome knife, and that classic non-threatening look enhanced by the bold nail nick (which says: I'm not a one hander!) is actually a serious benefit in today's society. It's a knife you can easily open in an office without scaring the sheeple colleagues to death like you wood with Reeve's Tanto Umnumzaan ;)

20180605-DSCF0123.jpg

I've used my Impinda a lot in June and July, in high Tatra mountains, lower (but wild) Bieszczady mountains South east of Poland, and also when sailing on the lakes with my family. Used it for any cutting job including food prep, gutting and cleaning fish, working with rope on a sailing boat, whittling, carving, and last but not least preparing feather sticks to start a fire.

20180715-DSCF2295.jpg

It's worth noting that Impinda's top swedge has a nice 90 degrees sharp spine (ok, it's just under 90) which could be used for emergency firestarting with ferrocerium rod. Sure, it's a slipjoint so you need to be extra careful but it's possible. And if that's the only solution - just go for it!

20180616-DSCF0937-Edit.jpg

So if you're looking for a 2-hands non-locking knife for any reason (either legal or just like me for pure pleasure of owning this beauty) and you'd prefer something considerably stronger and more capable than your Swiss Army Knife - Impinda will be an awesome answer.

20180705-DSCF1414.jpg

Conlusion. Of course all that perfection comes with a rather hefty price ($450 in USA, and even more in Europe due to taxes) but the tool you get is not just nice and solid, but also unique and perfect to the smallest detail. It's a gem. Plus it's surely solid enough to be passed to next generations... and with such a classic look it will never be outdated. It's easily one of my favorite knives ever. And surely THE favorite slipjoint in my personal collection. And if you're wondering... yes, I bought it with my own hard earned money, without a hint of hesitation, at Blade Show 2018. I'm frequent traveler through Europe so this one will be my go-to travel blade.

impinda_hike_900.jpg

And last but not least, that knife was voted Blade Magazine American Made Knife of a Year during Blade Show 2018 in Atlanta, which is a very serious achievement considering all the competition.

20180609-DSCF0413.jpg

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed...

20180607-DSCF0182.jpg

Through the years, I’ve always looked forward to seeing your photos and input. Well done!

Last edited:
Nice Review!
When the Impinda was first introduced at Blade i wasn't to excited. But i slowly start thinking that i am going to buy one as soon as they are available in Germany. At least i have a good reason for a slipjoint given our (silly) knife laws...:D

Great write about a knife I've been curious about. I'm concerned about the knife on the strap of the backpack though, I've seen this done with fixed-blades but never with a folder never mind one with a pocket-clip.

I'm concerned about the knife on the strap of the backpack though.

Very secure and handy, note the two snug bungee cords with toggles. And since it’s a slipjoint the chance of self-opening is zero. And I mean ZERO. It’s actually more secure than small fixed with reversed kydex. I’ve seen fixed like that going airborne out of sheath more than once, especially after a small jump down from a rock etc. With slipjoint carried like this - no risk.

Great review and pictures. I hope that they make a left handed version.

Back