Impinda slipjoint... as I see it (after 2 months of field use)

Hope to place an order for one of these but due to local laws need to be sure it can not be flicked open. Need a knife that can only be opened with two hands. Will this one meet that requirement, especially in the hands of a skilled LEO, or after much use?
Thanks.

Hope to place an order for one of these but due to local laws need to be sure it can not be flicked open. Need a knife that can only be opened with two hands. Will this one meet that requirement, especially in the hands of a skilled LEO, or after much use?
Thanks.

Yes, with no hesitation, it will not open through flicking by a human. This is a two hand open.

Talk about lame laws...

Reactions: u2u
Another high-tech detail, developed by Bill and CRK, is the curved design of the joint between backspring and blade. What it does is similar what a cam does in a compound bow - when you open a knife the tension is relatively small and grows over a long way from 1 lbs up, reaches max and sets the blade in place. But the force required to close the blade is a solid 5+ lbs! So in other words: it's easy to open, but very secure and way harder to close (accidently). It might be not the first knife with this kind of approach, but CRK just nailed it with smooth traveling mechanism like no other maker ever before. And last but not least... I really like the "Idaho Made" and Harsey's signature are hidden inside handle slabs in pivot area. The only marking on the outside is a very small CRK logo... minimalism and class at its best!

To the OP - I have just started to properly measure the torque required to open and sclose various slipjoints, and wondered if the figures you quoted were measured by yourself, or if they were provided by CRK?

The reason I have chosen torque (in Nm) is that the value is independent of where the force is applied. 1lb, 5lb, but pushing or pulling where?

Do you have the details of the measurements?

Thanks.

This is from the CRK website.

CHRIS REEVE KNIVES
IMPINDA
$ 450
Our vision was to make a modern slip joint and to do it well. One with sleek lines and a functional blade for the outdoors. And so smooth it clocks open, but closes safer than your grandfather's jack-knife. Introducing, the Impinda: a Reeve/Harsey slip joint made to cut, fold, and repeat.

The Impinda is a two-handed opening, non-locking knife.

Very nicely done. I don't know about a zaan with a blade length 1/2 longer with almost silent operation scaring the bejesus out of co workers, kinda funny to think about it though. I'll check out CRK booth next weekend and maybe get to handle one, I would love a high quality slip joint. Ty for the great write up.

Amazing knife! I love mine and use it daily for everything. Stronger than any slip joint I’m aware of.

After 1.5 years I still enjoy the simple beauty of this knife...

pampinda_web.jpg

I’ve had my Impinda since last spring. I like the Large CRK offerings during the work week, but I wanted something simple and discreet for weekends.

I swapped the clip for the filler tab, and it completely changed the knife. Reminds me of the large slip joint knives my grandfather used to carry, but made with modern materials and CRK fit and finish.

I always enjoy viewing your Great Photos, and reviews. Impinda’s are built like tanks!

Back