In support of the Hasiya

I am a total novice but Ithink they are much less beefy than HI khukuri, but , the HI hasiya is probably much thicker in the spine than a normal one? there are some pictures actually referenced in the thread about the many hasiya here that have been put to long work and most with the magic stone mirror (surprisingly intact on some !)
You probably know loads more about this end just from your post? have you actually made a knife of your own ndog? i mean do you have the forge and everything? I wanted to buy an anvil but i cant find a good old one any tips?(to anyone, this would be for knife repair, my first suripati was used unjustly to split a old cow skull , it actually cut the bone in a mirror finish that still shines !( it did chip but maintained use for all these years)
They don't need to be as beefy as an HI Khukri because the are not designed to do the task of your average Khuk. As far as the magic stone. I am a geologist by trade and from what i understand is they use granite pulverized which contains mostly calcium, sodium and potassium feldspar and quartz all of which is harder than steel and also softer minerals such as biotite, muscovite, and other softer minerals. HE he. I do know my mineralogy but what i don't know is how they process these compounds with minimal tools and how they apply them to to their trade (magic powder cement). That is their magic and my natural curiosity is killin me! I would literally give up my day job to spend time with these craftsmen to learn and propagate their knowledge. This art needs to be carried well beyond our generation. I havent forged a knife yet but I have made a few knives from blanks and modified pieces of steel from all kinds of sawblades, and whatever I can get my hands on. I do plan on a forge but Im still washing dishes outside, have no plumbing, bathtub etc. so gotta finish my house first. I do have internet tho...Ha imagine that! As far as anvil you can sometimes pick up pieces of railroad track on secondary market for about 40 clams a foot. They make great anvils. If your serious about that let me know and i will get you something!
I too overworked my first Chitlangi and rolled the edge really bad in two places but was my ignorant mistake. Thought i was gonna puke... it made me sick to my stomach. I unrolled it on an anvil like you speak of by using a chunk of copper to tap and unroll it back into place without chipping it. Been fine ever since! I still love my Chitlangi. Im jealous of your new 21" btw.

yeah im totally serious about it, I think everyone who is really into knives should have a generous anvil and plenty of tools to repair damage done to a working blade, though most of mine are for show, I would like to be able to keep all my blades in working order should they ever need to be tools. rail road beam is a great idea, one i never thought of, all the new anvils i see are really pricey, and i have several old train yards in my county! and yeah thats the thing about learning to repair these things, it isnt just "bam i can do it" you gotta practice ! --- on magic stone mirror, besides all the technical things with it, which you fully recognize, that is dust from the highest mountains in the world! MAAAAGIC , and im someone who thinks there is quite a bit more going on that we can realize, so maybe they do bring us ghosts from the hindu gods and put them in our blades , thats really my great plan for the customs i get, to have each dedicated to a god, and let the kami decide which god takes which knife, and then dedicate them accordingly.

But yeah man im totally into it, i just really started making it a hobby after coming here though, and digging up my old knife collection, i plan to eventually go the whole nine and build my own forge ( I am in Tennessee if anyone wants to come be a gnome after it gets started )-- would strictly be for fun though, I have a small business already, if i built a forge it would be for arcane dealings with the spirits of steel , obviously.

Good morning All,
it has been years since last I was here.
I believe I possess the first or second Hasiya.
I have the one with the horn handle, NEPAL in aluminum nail heads, brass end pieces and dingle balls ( I have no idea what else one would call them) on the butt of the handle.
This Hasiya is heavy duty.
It is much to heavy and thick to use for grass or grains. It is quite sharp, and more than adequate to be a useful tool.
A photo can be seen on the H.I. "special runs" page

Great words Gehazi and Karda for those seeking some truth.
I knew it was out theer somewhere. Keep up the good fight.

I love this forum nothing but honest good hearted people.

Let the others nay sayers wallow in each others poor company !

Its funny how some people are so nieve and narrow minded.

Thanks H.I for everything keep up the OUTSTANDING work, we all appreciate it

I don't think threads here ever die, they just sometimes take a long hiatus till somebody finds em again. To me that's a good thing.

Old threads never die, they just move to the archives... :thumbup:

Back