In your opinion, what's the biggest money rip-off in terms of knife ?

The one that stands out to me is the Benchmade 940-1. I can't in any way see how carbon fiber is a $90 upgrade. Even with the steel change

Not a knife, but knife adjacent. This Emerson "combat axe" retails for a staggering $1995:

timthumb.php

Seems like a lot for a waterjetted piece of steel with some light grinding and a bit of maple.

1800$ for Ernie’s blessing though. So really you can’t afford not to buy it.

There are lots of examples I can think of. But you must keep in mind that to each is their own.
I for one cannot fathom why Grismo Norseman costs $1000 or why Jim Skelton does not give away his knives for free.

Because he’s a guild member? ‍♂️

Because he’s a guild member? ‍♂️

So are these guys, but they don’t charge $1000 + for knives.

B37-C4105-232-F-4093-8047-B2-A36-D97-D02-B.jpg

But seriously, a knife in that price range would have to really “wow me”. I just don’t see it.

I don’t think I would spend that amount on a knife even if I could comfortably afford to do so. Kudos to those who can and do, but it makes me scratch my head in amazement.

As for knives that most are familiar with, I think Emersons are grossly overpriced for what they are. I’ve owned a ton of them, and they ARE great knives, but they are grossly overpriced for their materials and construction, IMO.

I’m really surprised by the author about the griptillian ! I thinks it’s a solid blade plastic and all. Better than a lot of blades. For me a waste is customization - maybe because I can’t afford it ???? I pay for performance and design, not a kewl color spacer or flame titanium pocket clip.

Reactions: Mo2
I’m really surprised by the author about the griptillian ! I thinks it’s a solid blade plastic and all. Better than a lot of blades. For me a waste is customization - maybe because I can’t afford it ???? I pay for performance and design, not a kewl color spacer or flame titanium pocket clip.

As far as customization goes, for some people adding that little something makes it feel more their own. Me, I dislike G-10, it's just too rough generally.

For example, I love everything about the Manix 2, except the scales. When I bought mine, it was the only option available. It has such tremendous ergonomics, it didn't need that. So I put ironwood scales on it. Same reason I just put micarta on my Yo2. I now don't own a single folder with G-10 or FRN.

I don't mind spending money for that. Ano is another beast I don't really subscribe to. I do like low ride clips, seeing as I live in the People's Republic of Illinois.

I may get flak for saying this, but for me it would be Winkler II. I have one, and just discovered the other day that the model I own is now selling for over $400. I'm sure that it's not a bad knife, by any means, but for $400+, I think that easily half the cost is going to the name. It's actually the second of the same model that I've owned. The first had a very visibly warped blade. To his credit, Winkler replaced it immediately, and I get it, mistakes can happen, we're all human. But having owned knives from more brands since buying the Winkler II, I simply can in no way justify the price in my mind.

I never understood all the hate toward the plastic handles of the Grip. They're made of Noryl GTX, which is a very tough material. It's an inexpensive material that is stronger than steel or titanium per unit density (Specific Strength). When have you EVER heard of or seen pictures of them breaking or cracking? It's a rare occurrence. It lacks a solid feel, I agree. I prefer the feel and weight of metallic handles myself. I think it's a hi performance composite material that is more than capable as a knife handle and doesn't deserve all the criticism. How dare they use a strong, inexpensive, lightweight, textured/grippy, colorful/customizable & ergonomic material on a knife!? They're just trying to rip me off!!

Last edited:
Quartermaster (QTRMSTR) Knives takes the prize as the biggest rip off imho.
Oh yeah , I forgot about these Jamokees thanks for reminding me; they take top honors in every bad category;but remember they need the money to operate that high tech state of the art facility with the declassified CIA security system, think tanks and all that other crap they were spewing on their website....

I'll go with you down that road to a certain point. I think customizing inexpensive knives is silly since you can double the price of the knife quickly. Customizing a knife you know your going to sell is also silly since your not going to get the money back out of it but with higher end keepers it makes it one of a kind.

What knives, according to you doesn't deserve their price-tag ?

To me, it has to be the Benchmade Griptilian 551.

The whole thing feels like a toy. Cheap plastic handles, partial liners... for the price of around the Para-military 2 ? Big no from me. I dig the design of the knife, but I can't help to feel like it's a rip-off.

What's yours ?

Did not consider it as being ripped off. But I returned it promptly. And got its big brother 550 with G10 and the upgraded steel.

Back