Information from Instagram and Facebook!

Yeah right!! Just order one before they go away, so you won't have to say "I really DID need that sheath!!!"

Thing is, my old spec 4.1 is out getting some work done right now. I have a custom sheath for it and I haven't even had a chance to try it yet. I really should get my knife back and see how I like the sheath I had made for it. But I may not get my knife back before those sheaths are gone... Ahhh, the dilemma!

49fc72bb96accb795f89f1cffecc4140.jpg

Looks like the next wave is on its way [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep sure is Silver, lower temp = D3V.
I saw that video just before and I am so damn impressed!
The blade has a ridiculously low amount corrosion after more than a year and a half.

Do these blades have the peened finish? Perhaps that is contributing to its phenomenal results?

I think the low temper started when they introduced the peened finish, could be wrong. D3v is also low temper just a slight tweak in upgraded edge retention (if I read what Nathan Carothers stated previously about it, in a thread I unfortunately can't find at the moment).

My understanding is that Guy implemented a low temperature protocol that predates the delta 3v protocol of last summer. While delta 3v is a low temperature protocol and the delta 3v should have the same corrosion resistance as the 1st low temper protocol Guy tested, the delta protocol results in slightly more edge stability. The industry standard referred to by Nathan and others is a high temp protocol.

My understanding is that all 3v Survive blades from the 4.1 on have the delta treatment and are marked as such by a triangle next to the 3v, but the recent 4.7's and 5.1's do have the low temperature protocol with improved corrosion resistance and better edge stability as compared to the industry standard.

Update on the corrosion test blades. Lookin' good!

Low temper is delta, right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR3Vor9Dy04/

I don't know about Delta and the relative temperature, but the knife in the picture in my opinion is NOT a delta 3V blade. It does not have the delta symbol after the 3V. It's not one of the new 4.1 blanks. I believe Guy started that test before the delta 3V was on anything.

MAYBE it's on a blade that he had done before he developed the logo. But it is an old spec 4.1 blade. I believe it is the tweaked HT protocol, before the delta, on a peened blade.

I also think (IIRC) that Guy said elsewhere the new delta blades should have just as good corrosion resistance as the previous tweaked HT ones.

Disclaimer - all of that is what I think, not what I know, and I am happy to be wrong.

Here's the Instagram post from 2015 when the blades were placed out there. My understanding is that the low temper 3V is the heat treat used for all the 4.7s and 5.1s. The delta is a variation on the the low temper heat treat and is all the 3V knives going forward.
f25f7e61b4efa4e0791bb012ef4275ff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even MORE instagram stuff!

17334270_213351879142204_970844144278700032_n.jpg

Mail call! Finally got my @blackscoutsurvival gear! We are also excited about a couple of amazing looking beers that just arrived from a Bladeforums member. They look delicious. You know who you are, a huge thanks to you and your family. 👍 What a great Monday! #mailcall #swag #blackscoutsurvival #liberty

17439335_1238143419639260_4969685479717863424_n.jpg

During final sharpening the edges are repeatedly checked for straightness, evenness, and symmetry from side to side. We want the knife you receive to be not only functionally sharp but visually appealing as well. Additionally, the combination of a uniform edge and the consistent bevel angle from our fixtured sharpening ensures easier maintenance and resharpening as well. There is nothing fun about trying to touch up a knife edge that might be grossly inconsistent or have a factory bevel angle of 20° on one side and 35° on the other. We believe you deserve better, so we're always striving to be better. #survive #surviveknives #sharpening #madeinamerica

Thanks for the input, guys. I was wondering if Guy meant delta, why he didn't just say it. I think I'm following now.

And another one!

This is what all knives should look like. Well loved.
e27503ec866efc221d83fcb54b1e35e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anybody else taunted by the picture of Guy in a full face mask with a Necker2 on the Survive facebook page (the public page)?
The post is dated September 30th, 2014.

Ha! I'd often think of that exact pic shortly after the starter when folks who didn't care to read what they got into demanded that every model be shipped out immediately.

Back