Introducing The 535 Bugout

Just ordered some custom made carbon fiber scales for my 535 .
I was totally happy with the looks and feel of the stock scales but I love CF.
Should look pretty sweet with the blue stand offs .
Can't wait !!!

I honestly have no desire to upgrade the scales at this point. BUT if you wanted a classy gent's knife some smooth G10 or CF would put this knife into that category easily.

This was my carry around the house this weekend. Did a little shooting with my first gun; H&R Topper in 410.

xWuqYRVoiU1Sp6QdyBE4IaY57a39y9_guSGRLvXf42baWL6SXtpkz-FEN6JLVTiAeFM4N6j_gBwZnMbM5Bp3FSpMmkY_MOUTI4WDIFpmRY0tu3hrsb-p4-7E7T8z4RxU3_eioxCTrcA

I honestly have no desire to upgrade the scales at this point. BUT if you wanted a classy gent's knife some smooth G10 or CF would put this knife into that category easily.

This was my carry around the house this weekend. Did a little shooting with my first gun; H&R Topper in 410.

xWuqYRVoiU1Sp6QdyBE4IaY57a39y9_guSGRLvXf42baWL6SXtpkz-FEN6JLVTiAeFM4N6j_gBwZnMbM5Bp3FSpMmkY_MOUTI4WDIFpmRY0tu3hrsb-p4-7E7T8z4RxU3_eioxCTrcA
Very nice !!
I felt the same way about not feeling the need to upgrade the scales until I saw these CF scales .

Very nice !!
I felt the same way about not feeling the need to upgrade the scales until I saw these CF scales .

I'm not a big CF fan when it comes to scales. If a G10 version came out at a reasonable price I may pull the trigger. :)

All in all, I'm thrilled with this little knife.

So when I was mulling over the purchasing decision I wasn't sure how I would feel about the blue scales. If a black handle had been an option that's what I would have bought because that's what I'm used to. Turns out I actually really dig the blue. So today on my hike I got to thinking about how blue actually is a wise choice for hikers and folks that spend a lot of time in the outdoors because it's so easily found since blue isn't a color you typically see in the woods. I decided to toss my knife on the ground and left it. I came back later to see if I could easily find it and sure enough it was easy to spot. Good to know if I ever accidentally drop it. Can you spot the Bugout?

IMG_4256.jpg IMG_4257.jpg

I have gone a bit uncharacteristically wild on knife and sharpener acquisition over the last few months, but this little knife is super tempting. I was able to handle one at a knife show a while ago and it is surprisingly rigid and insanely light. I like it a lot, and maybe when some funds recover I'll have to get one as a jogging blade. A Bugout in LC200N and ti hardware would make an amazing kayak/swim trunks knife. I would be on that like crazy.

I have gone a bit uncharacteristically wild on knife and sharpener acquisition over the last few months, but this little knife is super tempting. I was able to handle one at a knife show a while ago and it is surprisingly rigid and insanely light. I like it a lot, and maybe when some funds recover I'll have to get one as a jogging blade. A Bugout in LC200N and ti hardware would make an amazing kayak/swim trunks knife. I would be on that like crazy.

I so wish they'd make that version as a second option. I would definitely make it my new kayak/beach knife if they did. But I'd probably need a different handle color on it so I could differentiate between the two easily.

I so wish they'd make that version as a second option. I would definitely make it my new kayak/beach knife if they did. But I'd probably need a different handle color on it so I could differentiate between the two easily.

I'm curious as to why S30v wouldn't work for fresh water. Even salt water should be fine if it was rinsed properly.

I'm curious as to why S30v wouldn't work for fresh water. Even salt water should be fine if it was rinsed properly.

I'm surrounded by saltwater. I use my Pacific Salt for that duty because I don't ever have to worry about corrosion on the blade, liner (because it's liner-less obviously), handle, screws, etc. Maybe it's not needed with a certain amount of maintenance or whatnot but I'd rather just have the peace of mind and not have to spend as much time on the upkeep personally. EDIT TO ADD: I just remembered all the pockets drilled out of the inside of the Bugout's handles. That will be a prime collection spot of sand. Nevermind, don't think it would work out regardless. Looks like the Spyderco Salt will stay no matter what.

I'm surrounded by saltwater. I use my Pacific Salt for that duty because I don't ever have to worry about corrosion on the blade, liner (because it's liner-less obviously), handle, screws, etc. Maybe it's not needed with a certain amount of maintenance or whatnot but I'd rather just have the peace of mind and not have to spend as much time on the upkeep personally. EDIT TO ADD: I just remembered all the pockets drilled out of the inside of the Bugout's handles. That will be a prime collection spot of sand. Nevermind, don't think it would work out regardless. Looks like the Spyderco Salt will stay no matter what.

I'm not saying the Bugout would be a good beach knife. I just think it would be alright if taken care of (rinsed out) around salt water if you needed it to. I don't think freshwater is an issue at all. I've owned several of the Salt knives. They're a great product for sure. I just prefer a plain edge and don't care for the edge retention of the Salts in plain edge.

I'm sure it would! It would just be more fun to not have to worry about it at all.

With Benchmade's policy and and customer service, I wouldn't be worried about it. :)

I'm not saying the Bugout would be a good beach knife. I just think it would be alright if taken care of (rinsed out) around salt water if you needed it to. I don't think freshwater is an issue at all. I've owned several of the Salt knives. They're a great product for sure. I just prefer a plain edge and don't care for the edge retention of the Salts in plain edge.

With Benchmade's policy and and customer service, I wouldn't be worried about it. :)
I am sure you are probably right I really hope to pick one of these up soon. Not that I need one... lol!

I am sure you are probably right I really hope to pick one of these up soon. Not that I need one... lol!

I really don't think you'll regret your purchase. I didn't have a ton of interest in the knife when it was introduced but it's popularity peaked my interest. I am glad that I own the knife now. It really works well for me.

Looking good, maybe even enough to tempt me back to a stud after getting rid of them out of my collection. It'll be on the consideration list for sure.

Back