Introducing The 535 Bugout

IMG_4663.jpg IMG_4674.jpg IMG_4675.jpg

Watching the Born and Raised Outdoors show Episode 24 and low and behold the guy pulls out his Benchmade Bugout when he's trying to repair his broken bow while hunting elk in Colorado.

Just got back from my local knife shop in Ottawa. I was browsing their website and they had the Bugout in stock. I was going to wait till tomorrow after work and save the 30 mile drive in, but figured I'd better go in today while they still had some. Good thing, as I bought the second last one (one guy who was at the cash had just bought the third last one).

Fantastic little knife and F&F is excellent as usual. However, while I was there, I wanted to try out a knife that has been the object of my dreams but I thought it would be a little too small. I'm of course referring to the Nakamura 484. It fits like the proverbial glove and now have to start saving all over again. Can't wait.

I picked up a 530 years ago, which I love, but switched to the 531 on a first look in an Arizona knife shop. I carried the 531 on backpacking trips including the John Muir trail, and a week in the backcountry of Denali National Park. The Bugout just caught my eye and one just arrived today. It is lighter than the 531, has a nice belly for cutting, feels good in the hand, the blade shape and handle color make it less intimidating than the black spearpoint, the fingerguard is comfortable, the thumbstud is more comfortable, deep drop clip is an improvement, and it would be easier to find in leaf litter. No issues I can see, blade is centered, no play, handle is plenty stiff without a full liner, washers are good, etc. So far I love it.

This is just a first impression, I'll begin using it seriously in the field beginning May. I own another 6 or so Benchmades, including a mini-Grip and the amazing 940, and four or five Spydercos, including a Stretch and a Delica. Action is stiffer than the 940, but I can't complain, no different than the 530 or 531, a drop of oil helps. The 530 and 531 are closest to the 535, and I tend to carry a light blade.

Last edited:
Satyr, I think you will find it just continues to grow on you.

Over the past few months the 535 has replaced my Delica and Endura as well as a couple of Mini Grips. Sold most of my other folders off because I just don't see the need any more. I still have a couple of 940s that are just too nice to let go of, but now that I have Rogue scales for the Bugout in the works, I might end up getting rid of those too. The 535 is just the best knife out there right now for my particular needs.

In pocket today... The Rogue CF scales made all the difference for me. Really looking forward to one with upgraded steel. Bring on the 535-1 already! :)

MyXnrr7.jpg

In pocket today... The Rogue CF scales made all the difference for me. Really looking forward to one with upgraded steel. Bring on the 535-1 already! :)

MyXnrr7.jpg

1. Nice looking 535!!

2. I am waiting for the same thing. I love my Bugout. Can’t wait to get one with a better steel!!

i loved my bugout and unfortunately lost it at work but i do hope you come out with an upgraded version.

Just got my Bugout in today. It was kind of an impulse buy with my REI rewards, but I really like it so far. Another hobby of mine is cycling and this will be a go to knife for sure.

Since this is a BM...
Fit and finish was excellent out of the box with a nicely ground and centered blade. The lockup is solid and the edge is nice and sharp. The only negative was the action was stiff out of the box, but in my experience it will break in nicely.

Great job Benchmade!:thumbsup:

I just bought one with my REI dividend as well. I’ve been eyeing this one for a while so I’m pretty excited for it.

Anyone bring to market Micarta Scales yet? If so please let me know, greatly prefer micarta over G10.

Looking to find a maker to round over the butt of the knife as well by deleting the lanyard hole to provide optimum pocket access.

TIA.

Back