Introducing The 535 Bugout

Did you send it to Benchmade? They will return it better than a new one which is strange. Returning a knife to Benchmade is where you get the good QC. It will come back amazing. It does bite what you have gone through.

Don't want to blow this bigger than it was. I simply returned it. But it's well established that unboxing experience is a "thing". It's that new car smell that is unmistakable.

Competition does a great job of pushing higher standards and there is alot of competition in this space. fair or not fair if you can't match the new standard it's gonna hurt sales. Good support keeps you coming back to the brand but initial experience is what attracts you to it. Look at how many unboxing videos we all watch.

Interesting. I just returned it to REI. Most likely an REI issue vs Benchmade. I let them know that it's supposed to be sharp and that it seemed pretty handled. She said she's gonna put it back up for resale because she was able to cut a tiny slice in cardboard.

I told her it's suppose to be sharper than that and she almost fainted when I tried to slice my finger to show her.

Sux cause I got a good deal on it. They don't have in stock anymore.
That is very disappointing to say the least.

I will say that the axis locks are dialed in perfect. The detent was so perfect on the bugout almost felt like a spring assist the way that blade flicks open so little pressure. I have 2 other axis locks, but this bugout was the best of all 3 axis locks.

Just got my REI Bugout and did an un-boxing inspection. Box looks new and that's about the only positive thing so far.

1. First thing i noticed, hmm blade looks a little dirty. Maybe it's just grease ok, let's flip it open
2 Opens ok. I have a min-grip so action was as expected.
3. Noticed some yellow gunk on the thumb stud, probably just some dried grease or lube.
4. noticed some dirt on inside of lock mechanism (no pocket lint, more like debri)
5. Noticed some very light chips in the anodizing on the thumb studs.
6. touched the blade with my fingers and it was kind of tacky with that seemingly dry yellow grease on it

At this point I'm thinking to myself, Ok fine, somebody handled the knife, maybe returned it as new. Maybe it just go some manufacturing pollution during packaging. I can easily clean the knife and the little specs of anodizing can easily happen the first time I carry it.

Of course your wondering about the most important thing. The blade! I tried the shave test. Nothing. ok no big deal. Rubbed my thumb over the edge, hmmm something's wrong. See video for what happened next.

Thoughts?

And I thought my first one I received missing a bronze washer was bad. This is a whole new level.

I just received my bugout and am very happy. Ordered through dlt and asked them to inspect it first, they have great customer service and am leaning more and more towards sellers that have good customer service as I probably have enough knives to last 3 lifetimes. So nowadays I just want to see a great example when I open the box.

Not a bad knife,it’s the tacky color and I don’t reside in a trailer park , where I would find it appealing. Factory options would be nice in the custom area of Benchmade.

Wow, guess I'm a resident of the local trailer park then! Db

Should be in CF and not blue plastic. I called it the Gross Out. Swing and miss again Benchmade!!! Who is working over there? So uncreative these days. CF in black would be lighter and have a more mass appeal. Opening more chain accounts is what seems to take priority now at Benchmade. It’s a shame what’s happening there.
Pretty sure they are doing quite well on this model based on the fact that dealers cant keep it in stock. Swing and miss? How the hell do you figure that? Myself and a whole boat load of others think its the cats meow. Maybe we should start our own Bugout trailer park. The real shame is what stupid people post on forums these days.

Last edited:
My mini grip was one of my first good knives I ever bought probably over 10 years ago. It was and still is the sharpest from-the-factory knife I've ever bought. I cut my self many times with it just from barley touching the blade. My BM Valet in m390 i just ordered had no issues and it made me think maybe some of those reviews were overblown. I think I'm gonna return to REI and if they have an in stock replacement, I'll inspect to see if it's at least sharp to give one more try. If not then just returning.
I would highly recommend giving them another shot. Benchmade has had some qc issues for sure but that sure sounds like somebody used the thing and sent it back and it slipped through the cracks and got to you.

Love the Bugout...and the color for casual carry. But...I'd also like to have a black one, perhaps with a Rogue Bladeworks Wave G10 or CF scales.

So...thinking about getting a Bugout 535s (serrated) for this project, but... I have yet to see anyone post a pic of a serrated version that they own. Remind me again why the serrated version is so unpopular.

2GZkenM

So...thinking about getting a Bugout 535s (serrated) for this project, but... I have yet to see anyone post a pic of a serrated version that they own. Remind me again why the serrated version is so unpopular.

To my knowledge, it's simply just a preference thing; many people just prefer a plain edge to a partially serrated edge, particularly on smaller knives. Part of the argument being that there isn't enough blade length to adequately accomodate both the serrated portion and the plain edge so you end up without enough of either edge on your blade. Additionally, it can be difficult to sharpen serrations without a rod style system. Just my $0.02.

Love the Bugout...and the color for casual carry. But...I'd also like to have a black one, perhaps with a Rogue Bladeworks Wave G10 or CF scales.

2GZkenM
Something like this,though this is g10 scales with black mini grip thumb studs :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 45
Something like this,though this is g10 scales with black mini grip thumb studs :thumbsup:
I like! I've been looking at those black G10 scales, both like yours and the wave form. How do you like yours? (I'm not really a CF kinda guy but was thinking I could make an exception here. They seem to be the most popular Rogue scales.)

I really enjoy this knife now in g10,
I had a Bugout before and sold it as I didn't like the plastic handles,the blue was nice and never bothered me just the plastic,
So I decided to get another one and upgrade the scales.
Now I'm a happy camper,
I bought the scales here on the forum.:thumbsup:

I really enjoy this knife now in g10,
I had a Bugout before and sold it as I didn't like the plastic handles,the blue was nice and never bothered me just the plastic,
So I decided to get another one and upgrade the scales.
Now I'm a happy camper,
I bought the scales here on the forum.:thumbsup:
Just wondering what you think of their G10 scales in the wave pattern vs the ones you have.

Really been diggin' this knife. I've been putting it through the paces at work for a while now and it performs very well! Love the thin, slicey blade. The small deep carry clip works well, and I love the placement and size of the lanyard hole. Not a big fan of fobs on a knife, but when wearing a harness it's much easier to access (especially with a deep carry clip). It's nice to be able to add and remove one very easily. It's also nice to be able to tuck the fob completely into your pocket as to not draw any extra attention. Overall it's a really nice little knife!

According to BM's IG posting, something new is coming down the pipe on April 26th. Looks suspiciously like a new Bugout with a DLC blade and tan(?) scales.

Nice, I'll probably have to grab that even though I'm not a huge fan of DLC blades.
The bronze thumbstuds look interesting. I might have to wait to see some better photos.

According to BM's IG posting, something new is coming down the pipe on April 26th. Looks suspiciously like a new Bugout with a DLC blade and tan(?) scales.
My wallet really hopes that is not a bugout. But every other part of me says YESS!! I'm not a fan of dlc blades myself but I'm really excited for more options to come out. I think they could really expand on this platform. That's definitely more grivory though. That's for sure. Only one week to find out.

Back