Introducing The 535 Bugout

This knife looks right up my alley. I wish I hadn't just dropped a bunch of $ on other stuff or I definitely would have been in the market for this. A bit of flex doesn't bother me if it doesn't effect the function of the knife.

My 535 arrived today. I put it in my pocket immediately and used it to open some cardboard boxes for our new patio furniture that was delivered today. Cut all the tags off after assembly then processed the boxes with the 535. It is super slim and light for sure. Grind is pretty good. The shorter deep carry clip is kind of cool. I am wearing a lightweight pair of Columbia shorts so I can't say how the retention will be on normal clothes but think it will be decent. I don't think I'll have to bend it in to be tighter as I've had to do with every single deep carry BM clip I've received lately. The knife feels ... kind of cheap due to the thin/lightweight aspect but the fit and finish is great. The blade is centered and it locks up solid. I can flick it open with little effort and while the blade doesn't drop freely on it's own when the Axis is released I can give it a little downward wrist flick and it will drop closed. I love the blade length and shape. So far I am not sure what niche it will fit for me as I have a CRK Sebenza or Mnandi (or both) in my pocket most days. I use a CRK Sebenza Tanto as my "work" blade. I suppose this will be for days like today where I have on lightweight clothes and want a lighter weight knife or perhaps for hiking and backpacking as it was designed. Who knows? Time will tell. I do like it though given the $115 price point.

I know if the 535 was available in M390 or better Maxamet steel as an option for the Blade I'd be getting for sure,I really like the Maxamet it's get so dam sharp and stay's that way for a really long time and to me that's worth a few buck's I have to shell out and a bit more time sharpening.

ce6342d501168f52a60f013b3c3f22da.jpg

Grabbed one of these today. Based on some comments I have seen I was actually surprised how solid overall this knife feels for it's weight. I think i am really going to enjoy this knife.

Grabbed one of these today. Based on some comments I have seen I was actually surprised how solid overall this knife feels for it's weight. I think i am really going to enjoy this knife.

I went by the Benchmade factory store yesterday and handled one, and I must say I really agree. It feels way more solid in hand than some of the YT review videos might lead one to believe. Can't beat it for the weight, I'd say. I will definitely own one eventually.

Ive been carrying for 2 days now, i love it. Often times I forget I have it on me. A lot thinner than I thought it would be but it definitely fills a void in my rotation.

I finally got to play with on of these today. I must say, it is much nicer than in the online pictures. The first thing I did was check the flex of the scales. Yes, you can get them to flex but, it is not as easy as the online reviews make it look. Not a big deal, really. The Ka-Bar Dozier has much more flex than this knife.

I own a 531 and I like the overall feel of the 535 better. Much more comfortable in hand than the 531, lighter too. Plus, it's a little taller than the 531 so it fills your hand better and it offers a larger thumb stud. With the exception of scale material, this is a better knife than the 531. Hands down.

Random question but how long until we'll see ones for sale without the First Production mark on the blade? I realize the answer to that question is probably when the first production blades sell out and there is no firm answer to when that will be. But any guesses to the timeline? As in a month or two, 6 months, a year? I'm most likely going to be buying one but I'd prefer not to have that on the blade. But I also don't want to wait a long time either. So I'm debating with myself right now

Random question but how long until we'll see ones for sale without the First Production mark on the blade? I realize the answer to that question is probably when the first production blades sell out and there is no firm answer to when that will be. But any guesses to the timeline? As in a month or two, 6 months, a year? I'm most likely going to be buying one but I'd prefer not to have that on the blade. But I also don't want to wait a long time either. So I'm debating with myself right now

The one I handled was a 1st Production Knife 634/1000. They only had one knife so I don't think it won't be very long before normal production blades hit the street.

Just wondering, what knife will it replace in your collection or are you going to break your six knife rule?

The one I handled was a 1st Production Knife 634/1000. They only had one knife so I don't think it won't be very long before normal production blades hit the street.

Just wondering, what knife will it replace in your collection or are you going to break your six knife rule?

It's looking like the Spider Monkey. But I'm actually pondering a crazy shift and jettisoning both the Spider Monkey and 940-2 if this knife is everything I want. Time will tell on that front.

Last edited:
It's looking like the Spider Monkey. But I'm actually pondering a crazy shift and jettisoning both the Spider Monkey and 940-2 if this knife is everything I want. Time will tell on that front. I'll sell one immediately if I get/keep the BugOut but I'll ponder selling the other after some weeks or maybe months before I make a firm decision on going down to only 3 folders.

Both of those are much better knives than the Bugout but, the Bugout is so much lighter. I can tell you that the weight savings is amazing.

I carry my 531 more than any other knife I own. At 2.1 oz, it's a "drop it in your pocket and forget about it" kind of knife. There are times that I grab a second knife, forgetting I have the 531 on me. The Bugout is even lighter than my 531! It would make a great back up knife. Aftermarket scales should bring it up to about the same weight as the 531, maybe slightly more.

Last edited:
Both of those are much better knives than the Bugout but, the Bugout is so much lighter. I can tell you that the weight savings is amazing.

I carry my 531 more than any other knife I own. At 2.1 oz it is a "drop it in your pocket and forget about it" kind of knife. There are times that I grab a second knife, forgetting I have the 531 on me. The Bugout is even lighter than my 531! It would make a great back up knife. Aftermarket scales should bring it up to about the same weight as the 531, maybe slightly more.

I see the BugOut as a combination of the good things about both of those knives. The slimness, lightness, and the general disappear in your pocket feeling of the 940-2, along with its warranty and customer service advantage. The blade length, general blade shape, and the short pocket clip of the Spider Monkey. All in one package. That sounds like a winner to me. And let's be honest, the blade length is #1 deciding factor in all of this to me because I love that 3.25" personal sweet spot. Now having said all this, I still need to get one in hand before I make any decisions. There's a store about an hour away from me that had them in stock the first day of their release (hope they didn't sell out!) so I'm going to try to get over there soon to feel it in hand. The blue handles is the only thing I'm a little wary about.

I understand your love for your 531's lightness and disappearing in the pocket. That's a big reason my 940-2 has been planted in my pocket since I received it except a day or two I consciously chose to switch it up. BugOut is even lighter with my ideal blade length?--yeah, sign me up lol.

I see the BugOut as a combination of the good things about both of those knives. The slimness, lightness, and the general disappear in your pocket feeling of the 940-2, along with its warranty and customer service advantage. The blade length, general blade shape, and the short pocket clip of the Spider Monkey. All in one package. That sounds like a winner to me. And let's be honest, the blade length is #1 deciding factor in all of this to me because I love that 3.25" personal sweet spot. Now having said all this, I still need to get one in hand before I make any decisions. There's a store about an hour away from me that had them in stock the first day of their release (hope they didn't sell out!) so I'm going to try to get over there soon to feel it in hand. The blue handles is the only thing I'm a little wary about.

I understand your love for your 531's lightness and disappearing in the pocket. That's a big reason my 940-2 has been planted in my pocket since I received it except a day or two I consciously chose to switch it up. BugOut is even lighter with my ideal blade length?--yeah, sign me up lol.

If you decide that the Bugout is not for you, consider REI's version of the 531. S30v blade steel and green G10 scales. Swap out the pocket clip for a deep carry or the compact deep carry (when they become available) and you're set. :)

Back