Introducing the Sebenza 31! (21 Is Being Discontinued)

I'm actually not digging the one-piece inlay. To me the the two strips were more interesting to look at and made the knife more identifiable. They really broke up the details but the one-piece to me looks too flat and plain, even somewhat generic. I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me.

Last edited:
To each his own, but I REALLY dislike seeing/reading stuff like this. For the folks who purchased early entry tickets, who stood in line for hours to get into the show, who then had to stand in line to get up to the CRK booth for maybe a chance of purchasing a first run Sebenza 31 that they really wanted.......it’s a bit insulting. For people to immediately turn around and try to sell them for those prices is disheartening because it chips away at the spirit of the knife community.

I didn’t personally witness anyone trying to sell their 31, but I’m sure more than one private sale took place after the first 31’s were gone. I know, I know....happens all the time, but I still don’t like hearing about it.

I was able to purchase a Small 31 after many hours in line and lots of patience waiting my turn to get to the CRK booth. There’s no way I’d be able to sell it. Different strokes....

I agree, re-sellers suck.

How about some pics?

Here is the one I found at Blade.
TE2JNWq.jpg

Missed getting a 31. All sold yesterday but did get a think twice graphic 21. Saw 2 31s for sale one was 650 the other 750

I would have gladly paid that..There was a line before the doors opened for early birds..I didn't find this out until going in and seeing the line and thinking I had no chance of getting anything.

To each his own, but I REALLY dislike seeing/reading stuff like this. For the folks who purchased early entry tickets, who stood in line for hours to get into the show, who then had to stand in line to get up to the CRK booth for maybe a chance of purchasing a first run Sebenza 31 that they really wanted.......it’s a bit insulting. For people to immediately turn around and try to sell them for those prices is disheartening because it chips away at the spirit of the knife community.

I didn’t personally witness anyone trying to sell their 31, but I’m sure more than one private sale took place after the first 31’s were gone. I know, I know....happens all the time, but I still don’t like hearing about it.

I was able to purchase a Small 31 after many hours in line and lots of patience waiting my turn to get to the CRK booth. There’s no way I’d be able to sell it. Different strokes....

I hung around the booth quite alot..Didn't really meet too many people from BF..but a fair amount from FB. Wish I would have known you were there..but yes, I agree..I hated that it went down like that.

I'm actually not digging the one-piece inlay. To me the the two strips were more interesting to look at and made the knife more identifiable. They really broke up the details but the one-piece to me looks too flat and plain, even somewhat generic. I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me.

The more I look at it the more I agree. If I do ever end up picking up a 31 it will be a PJ.

I personally like the ceramic ball insert. Is the concern of the ceramic ball making grooves into the blade tang over time? If so wouldn’t their fantastic warranty cover issues like this? I cant see them setting themselves up for this type of issue. Just curious what others think.

I have surmised before that in that case since the ceramic ball is wearing on the blade tang vs the 21 where the blade wears on the lockbar lockface; then it is likely easier and cheaper for CRK to just replace a worn out blade.

Idk how true that is though.

Btw guys. Any idea how the PB washers are going to be on the 31? Are they complex fixed washers like on the Inkosi or are they still circular sebenza style washers?

I am guessing that they are same as 21. Doesn't make sense to me to change them to locate off the stop pin. I think too many people would have trouble putting it back together without pinching a washer.

Nice blade. In case you weren’t aware, at the rear of that scale below the lanyard pin, those dots and dashes is “CR” in morse code. I’ve never seen one like this before.
First I have seen as well admittedly I have not kept up on the newer CGG models. I was wondering what those marks were.Thanks

Well, looks like Im never getting rid of my Large Micarta 21 now. The 21 has been around so long that its hard to believe its being discontinued.
To me the 21 is the Sebenza.
I am glad that they are keeping the bushing pivot. Dont really care for the canted pocket clip. Never had a problem with the pocket clip on the 21.
It just looks crooked to me.

Well, looks like Im never getting rid of my Large Micarta 21 now. The 21 has been around so long that its hard to believe its being discontinued.
To me the 21 is the Sebenza.
I am glad that they are keeping the bushing pivot. Dont really care for the canted pocket clip. Never had a problem with the pocket clip on the 21.
It just looks crooked to me.
I prefer the original clip placement. As far as the bushing pivot,to me that is the main thing that makes the Sebenza a Sebenza. Way back when BM came out with the Bradley design I was asked by a Bradley rep at Blade about it. He did say it was designed to go head to head with the Sebenza. I told him that there was no way it could without using the Sebenza pivot system. To me that was the key feature that made the Sebenza worth the price and took it a level or two above other folders.

The more I look at it the more I agree. If I do ever end up picking up a 31 it will be a PJ.
Yeah the stripped down utilitarian look never fails but an inlay has less room for error and needs to be done just right for the most visual appeal. To me at least.

I got to their booth an hour and 45 minutes into my early bird. Didn't have a clue why there was even a line to get near the booth. By the time I got there nothing 31 or damascus or anything interesting out of the ordinary was for sale...but I got to play with the 31 box elder. The one piece insert is gorgeous, so glad I couldn't buy one as I really didn't need to buy another knife at blade. As for early profiteering on a 31 from a few days ago, to each their own, like any other community, there are always flippers of something.

Pretty disappointed that they haven't upgraded the steel on the 31. I know Chris had something to do with the creation of S35VN, but on a $450+ production knife in 2019 it just doesn't make sense.

Koenig is now making M390 Arius, it would have been nice to see that option from CRK.

Pretty disappointed that they haven't upgraded the steel on the 31. I know Chris had something to do with the creation of S35VN, but on a $450+ production knife in 2019 it just doesn't make sense.

Koenig is now making M390 Arius, it would have been nice to see that option from CRK.
From what you know about blade steel, what would you imagine the benefits of S35VN are over m390? Those are the reasons why.
For me, I prefer S35VN over most others mainly because of the great edge holding/maintenance ratio, corrosion resistance, and durability. I don’t believe there is anything that strikes this balance better.

From what you know about blade steel, what would you imagine the benefits of S35VN are over m390? Those are the reasons why.
For me, I prefer S35VN over most others mainly because of the great edge holding/maintenance ratio, corrosion resistance, and durability. I don’t believe there is anything that strikes this balance better.

Edge retention and corrosion resistance are the two most important traits for any blade. M390 is vastly superior in both respects.

A steel that is easier to sharpen just means more frequent sharpenings. I've never considered that a positive. If I'm breaking out the Wicked Edge to sharpen, M390 might take an extra 15-20 minutes compared to S35VN, but it'll hold that edge much, much longer.

All things considered, for the typical use case of a pocket knife, M390 is objectively better steel. Introducing a new model in 2019 would have been a great chance to upgrade.

Back