Recommendation? Is it worthwhile to EDC a pry bar / multi to "save your knife

I also like that the large screwdriver/bottle opener on the SAK Trekker locks in place for prying. But as mentioned above, there's a cool factor. I like bumping into a member of the Mosin Nagant fraternity who recognizes the sight tool.

diiDKj0.jpg

Zieg

I've never much cared for carrying a multi-tool on a daily basis, as they've always been too large/inconvenient or too small/lacking tools.

The sidekick came close, but I just don't much care for the inward facing tools and how hard they are to pry out. I've got a skeletool that I don't much care for.

That being said, I've carried both my knife and my Leatherman P2 every day since I bought the P2.

I'm a firm believer you shouldn't pry with your knife blade. I usually have a SAK or MT and use a flat screwdriver if I have to pry. The only dedicated pry bar I have is in my Get Home bag. That is usually close (home, office, truck) but not on me.

I have a couple little prybars. I thought about edc-ing one, but I seldom pry much that a little pry bar is particularly useful over a larger prybar which I have just about all the sizes up to about 36". My SAK does most of the little jobs. I have been known to carry a very small set of pliers (hobbyist size).

A small pry bar is useful for me and I use to carry one, but I found that my keys work just as good and I have 5 or 6 different shapes/lengths to choose from.

Yes I carry something that's not a knife blade which I can perform minor pry tasks with, I'm not going to pry anything with any knife I carry not to mention the fact that I most often carry a small thin bladed traditional slipjoint.

I don't do a lot of prying with what's on me but even the gentlest prying task is beyond the purpose of a knife blade in my opinion, that purpose being merely to cut stuff and nothing more.
( Excluding beater blades on my work bench which are well acquainted with my favorite hammer )

My SAK does most of the little jobs.

Seeing a lot of this here... I have a small prybar w/ bottle opener on my keyring precisely so that I can carry knives that aren't SAKs. When I started carrying fixed blades and single-blade folders a few years ago instead of the SAKs I've been using my whole life, I found that I was really missing the bottle opener and the flat-head screwdriver.

Now if only I could find a prybar with a toothpick slot ;)

I don't carry one because I rarely have a need to pry anything. Not that I need to cut much in an urban environment either, but I still carry a knife everywhere.

I suppose it makes sense if you want to 'save' your good knives from being used as pry tools, but then one has to question what the purpose of an expensive pry bar is (I've seen them going for $80 to over $200).

I don’t carry anything specifically for prying. I keep tools in all our vehicles and in my garage so there’s always flat screwdrivers handy. Keys make pretty good pry bars too. Couple weeks ago me and my youngest child got locked out of the house. I pried the kitchen window open with a car key and set the tyke inside and told him to go unlock the door. Come to find out, We’re an A1 burglary team :cool:

I just use the bottle opener on an SAK cadet for most prying tasks. The "EDC prybars" always seemed like Instagram pocket fodder that looks good on a hank.

Unless you have some specific task in your everyday routine that requires a more substantial prybar I suspect an SAK will have you covered.

Same. I use the nail file on a Wenger Esquire/Victorinox Classic for light prying. Cheap, tough, no tip to foul. I pinch it on the file, so I’m not translating force through the pivot.

Seeing a lot of this here... I have a small prybar w/ bottle opener on my keyring precisely so that I can carry knives that aren't SAKs. When I started carrying fixed blades and single-blade folders a few years ago instead of the SAKs I've been using my whole life, I found that I was really missing the bottle opener and the flat-head screwdriver.

Now if only I could find a prybar with a toothpick slot ;)
Many people will carry a second knife in addition to the SAK. I do that sometimes if the urge strikes me. It's mostly because I want to and not because I need to.

Trying to remember the last time I used a knife to pry anything... maybe popping off the switch plates on the wall before I painted.

I carry a Leatherman Brewzer on my keychain. It has a pry tool and bottle opener. Very handy.

This is what I carry. It disappears on my key chain but it's there when I need it. I've come to consider it a kind of good luck charm. Go figure. I rarely use it, but as others have said there is a certain cool factor to it.

Whatever you carry, just make sure it has a bottle opener;).

SAK Bottle Opener. I couldn't work out why I would ever need it (cummon, just use your teeth :D) till I realised that it's a mini pry bar and very useful as such.

I carry a K’roo “Chunky Drunk”, (my name for it) at all times. Rides in my watch pocket. Willem did an amazing job with the idea I brought to him. I wanted a slipjoint caplifter/prytool. No blade just the single implement as I already always have a knife on me. He was able to add a wirestripper and made the lanyard hole into a glassbreaker too. The prytool is super thick stock and has been incredibly handy. I’ve used it even more than I thought I would. I’ve also added a thimble like divot for pushing needles through thick material with a round bit on my Dremel.

I suppose it makes sense if you want to 'save' your good knives from being used as pry tools, but then one has to question what the purpose of an expensive pry bar is (I've seen them going for $80 to over $200).
That's the truth...if I paid $150+ for a mini pry bar, I think I'd be hesitant to use it. Realistically, even $50 seems pretty high for the simple ones...but I don't want to carry a dollar store screwdriver in my pocket, just in case.

And, since other people are posting pictures, here are mine
cOlhuB9.jpg

(I suppose I should have put something there for scale, as they look pretty big on my computer...the atwood is under 3" long - how much pry can you get out of that - and the other one is just over 4.5")

What are the routine uses for these pry bars that take up a lot of pocket space with often a fairly sharp edge? And I mean routine.... as I really don't pry many things with a knife or something small like these cute pocket tools? For the most part I consider them a gimmick item which is why the local hardware store has them at the checkout.

Last edited:
The best option is to get a 50 cent P38 can opener and stick it on a keychain. I think little pry tools are good to have but overpriced many times. If you want an upgrade over a P38, the gerber shards are pretty great and not too pricey.
I think they are worth it, knives are dangerous for prying and youll ruin the edge. Knives cut, not pry. Thats my 2 cents. :)

Back