It followed me home (Part 2)

$5 later, L to R, Plumb, Vulcan, Consolidated and Craftsman...

OvMdx80.jpg

& $1 later, I may have overpaid on this one

Efq2hJD.jpg

$5 later, L to R, Plumb, Vulcan, Consolidated and Craftsman...

OvMdx80.jpg

& $1 later, I may have overpaid on this one

Efq2hJD.jpg
Does that chrome vanadium Craftsman pall peen have an N inside a square stamped on it perhaps ?
If so then like my 14oz'er, my sources list this MFG code as mcpherson-Huff.co who contracted for Craftsman from 1946-1964.

Does that chrome vanadium Craftsman pall peen have an N inside a square stamped on it perhaps ?
If so then like mine, my sources list this MFG code as mcpherson-Huff.co who contracted for Craftsman from 1946-1964.

That's great! I have not had the opportunity yet to get out there and take a real good look, it's pretty hammered and scratched up...that said I will grab a jar of refreshment and get some air :thumbsup:

That's great! I have not had the opportunity yet to get out there and take a real good look, it's pretty hammered and scratched up...that said I will grab a jar of refreshment and get some air :thumbsup:
Mine is pretty scratched up as well, and the chrome has flakes off on the face and on the tip of the ball.
I use mine to tap something just about everyday and I absolutely love it. The quality is top notch.
You got a better deal than I did on mine, mine was 2$ and attached to a section of crappy sledge handle secured with nothing but a screw in the top.

If so then like my 14oz'er, my sources list this MFG code as mcpherson-Huff.co who contracted for Craftsman from 1946-1964.

Unfortunately, no N in a square stamped.
The head is pretty well scratched and dinged up sadly...

WObCEoV.jpg

k5yv3YF.jpg

r2kodBp.jpg

Yes I can't wait to rehang it and use it. Looks like someone previously didn't hang this but hammered it on the handle.

I just finished filing out the burrs rounded inward of the eye from the top after all their hammering to secure it.

This one is worn pretty well here on the ball

ekaz8xu.jpg

Unfortunately, no N in a square stamped.
The head is pretty well scratched and dinged up sadly...

WObCEoV.jpg

k5yv3YF.jpg

r2kodBp.jpg
The stamp is very small, the N is about the size of the letters in LIBERTY on a quarter.
Edit: I zoomed in on your first picture of the head and when comparing the picture to my hammer I located a faint outline of the square on yours as well as the very end of the a in USA
As you can see mine is in similar condition. Mine is less hammered up, but the chrome has flaked a lot more.

Last edited:
The stamp is very small, the N is about the size of the letters in LIBERTY on a quarter.
Edit: I zoomed in on your first picture of the head and when comparing the picture to my hammer I located a faint outline of the square on yours as well as the very end of the a in USA
As you can see mine is in similar condition. Mine is less hammered up, but the chrome has flaked a lot more.

You know I posted those pics in hopes you may see something my old eyes were not.
I wasn't sure if I was seeing that A directly under the "m" of Craftsman or I just badly wanted to see it or any etching. I was not sure if I was seeing scratches or engravings...but definitely wanted to and with your help I am even more Stoked about this find.
I also appreciate that you did not tell me where to look, can't learn that way.

You know I posted those pics in hopes you may see something my old eyes were not.
I wasn't sure if I was seeing that A directly under the "m" of Craftsman or I just badly wanted to see it or any etching. I was not sure if I was seeing scratches or engravings...but definitely wanted to and with your help I am even more Stoked about this find.
I also appreciate that you did not tell me where to look, can't learn that way.
No problem.
And btw mine has about the same wear on the ball face as yours. Mine has the big circle if chrome flake then the little flat spot on the tip.

The handle on mine is a standard link, and I'm glad to see that it appears to be very close to the original that came on yours.

Yes, I have two ball pein handles now by Link that I have purchased and they seem to be very close in dimensions to the original handles I needed to replace.

I will post some pictures tomorrow after I finish the Craftsman here and the (Altha Tool Co.) ball pein I inherited from part of my grandfather's tools.
I am not 100% it's an Altha due to the extreme wear but what I do see does not point me anywhere else.

Atha at 9a today, Altha at 2a last night with beverage.
When I post a picture I will let you all decide :D

Is vinegar really the way to go to clean up files? Clean them with a wire brush and file card?

Crasp by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Crasp
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Crasp

Crasp

Crasp
Crasp by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

I prefer the brush, file card and WD-40...I didn't like the finish on the few files I soaked back in August. I feel the same about these great USA made files as I do about the patina on the axe, hammer and about every other tool I have or hunting ;):thumbsup:
Just my 2¢ as a rookie :D

Back