1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Excellent informative post :thumbsup:
    This presents a very good question and theory.
    I have heard the term shoe rasp but I didn't put the two together as the same style.

Was it mentioned in "An Axe To Grind"? Or was just the "Four In Hand" mentioned by name? I will be rewatching tonight:):thumbsup:

I like your Nicholson branding theory;)

2. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    over here it still is a shoe rasp. So im betting Nicholson invented the name. There still mostly used by ferriers over here.

Miller '72 likes this.
  3. quinton

quinton

Nov 4, 2006
    I'm betting today's four in hand rasp was was mostly used by the many cobblers back in the day, simply referred to as a shoe rasp, and the name just stuck. There used to be a shoe shop or two in every little town around here, I haven't seen one anywhere in years.

I've also shod a bunch of horses over the years and never found a use for anything other than a flat farrier's rasp.

Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  4. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    That makes total sense to me. Seems that when a trade or skilled craft is phased out or put close to extinction, the tools, terms and lifestyle of that craft start to be lost as well.

There use to be a cobbler/shoe repair shop in my hometown and in near every other town here in CT too.
    Funny, sad really, the last hold out I considered still local, held out till about late 90's early 2000's.
    It's a damn CVS or Walmart now.

quinton likes this.
  5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    rjdankert, quinton, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  6. Old Axeman

Old Axeman

Jan 10, 2015
    I always called it "Four In Hand". If I could only have one metal tool to make hafts, it would be this one.

7. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    An interesting book from 1852 describes how files and rasps were made, and specifies different patterns of rasp teeth for different applications:

Lines sloping from the left down to the right-hand side: cabinet rasps, wood rasps, farriers' rasps.

Lines sloping from the right down to the left-hand side: rasps for boot and shoe last makers, and some others.

Circular lines or crescent form: rasps for gun-stockers and saddle-tree makers.

[​IMG]
    from Appleton's Dictionary of Machines, Mechanics, Engine-work, and Engineering: Illustrated with Four Thousand Engravings on Wood. In Two Volumes, by D. Appleton, 1852, 960 pages

quinton and Miller '72 like this.
  8. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I like that "Last Makers' Cabinet Rasp".

This is very interesting and informative.
    Seems the four in hand may have evolved from the shoe rasp.
    What became of the horse rasp?
    I believe that more accurately, my new to me Heller Bros Co. file/rasp is a plain horse rasp and not specifically a four in one style.

[​IMG]

9. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

What's on your bench?

Miller '72 and quinton like this.
  10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016

Agent_H likes this.
  11. rjdankert

rjdankert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  12. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Utter chaos and nothing as sweet as I see on yours :thumbsup::cool:

[​IMG]

Agent_H likes this.
  13. osage outlaw

osage outlaw

Feb 21, 2015
    I picked up this Norlund axe on a camping trip this week. I was happy with the find. It's in great shape with a nice aged look.

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  14. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
  15. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    Never hurts to ask

Miller '72 likes this.
  16. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I am sometimes surprised at what people didn't know they wanted to give away till their asked ;)

These were fairly obvious give away by way of their staging and location, I just like to be polite when they are out in their yard like this gentleman was.

17. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  18. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Agent_H likes this.
  19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Miller '72 likes this.
  20. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    That rasp you like looks like a Nicholson no 49. Look for a USA made one. The no 50 is good also but cloggs a little more. It takes a big step up in price to get one that’s better as far as I know.

Miller '72 likes this.