It followed me home (Part 2)

On the way back from dropping family at the airport for their vacation.

NdT3Ph8.jpg
Looks like a pretty good hatchet and I hope the handle can be saved.

Not axe related, but a nice nos pair of Big Smith denim overalls were given to me today by my dad.
They were brought back by my grandfather from his trip to visit the rest his family in Missouri in the mid 90's.
No picture because I'm wearing them, I've never worn overalls before but I'm gonna try to get used to them because I actually needed a new pair of pants.

I have not worn overalls is such a long time... I bet once you break them in a bit they become the goto pants.
Now I am thinking maybe a solid pair of overalls would do me right coming into fall and winter.:thumbsup:

Great score from Dad and grandad!!

...and to make this officially axe related...
Have you come across this maker before?

HcLQXCJ.jpg

From a 1903 advertisement...
eiKwB7s.jpg

For a rough size comparison...

r0fb0Xb.jpg

This picture?

If the medallions look something like this:
k3warrsuperior.jpg

"Warranted Superior medallions are found on secondary lines manufactured by Disston and other major saw makers . . ."
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medallionpage.html

Hope I have not misunderstood your use of "Superior". Just trying to be helpful.

Bob

Thank you again. That's exactly what I was mistakenly referring to when junkenstien asked me about the Nicholson Superior.

I was unaware they were actually manufactured by Disston, I hadn't researched just assumed all these years they were the Pepsi to Coke kinda thing.
Very helpful indeed.
You can't offend me by offering information and help, never a stupid question either.

Thank you Bob

I have not worn overalls is such a long time... I bet once you break them in a bit they become the goto pants.
Now I am thinking maybe a solid pair of overalls would do me right coming into fall and winter.:thumbsup:

Great score from Dad and grandad!!

...and to make this officially axe related...
Have you come across this maker before?

HcLQXCJ.jpg

From a 1903 advertisement...
eiKwB7s.jpg

For a rough size comparison...

r0fb0Xb.jpg
Thats a nice Underhill lathing hatchet there, the bit also isn't as rounded as so many seem to end up and im sure it'll be good for something.

Btw i found a picture of myself wearing a pair of overalls at age 5 so it turns out I have worn them before , who knew :D

Thats a nice Underhill lathing hatchet there, the bit also isn't as rounded as so many seem to end up and im sure it'll be good for something.

Btw i found a picture of myself wearing a pair of overalls at age 5 so it turns out I have worn them before , who knew :D

Thanks, the Underhill was a cool find. The Mark was very well hidden till I got home.

Perfect age to start wearing overalls!!

Thanks, the Underhill was a cool find. The Mark was very well hidden till I got home.

Perfect age to start wearing overalls!!

You know, I'm not exactly sure what a lathing hatchet is used for. I always assumed it was for getting wood down to a manageable size, but I'm probably way off on this

I've heard the steel they used was top notch, so it should be an excellent tool if you can find a good use for it.

The main use of lathing hatchet went out with lath and plaster wall finishing,i.e. turned to pre-fab'd sheet-rock.
Lath(that itself was sawn),needed to be cut to size,sometimes trimmed,and nailed into place.
I the corners/by the ceiling the room was tight,thus the flush top edge on most,to nail close into the corner...

The main use of lathing hatchet went out with lath and plaster wall finishing,i.e. turned to pre-fab'd sheet-rock.
Lath(that itself was sawn),needed to be cut to size,sometimes trimmed,and nailed into place.
I the corners/by the ceiling the room was tight,thus the flush top edge on most,to nail close into the corner...

Thanks for the info, I was waaaaaaay off the mark.
I thought lathing referred to a wood turning lathe, but while I've never heard of lath and blaster wall finishing this makes real sense.

Back