It followed me home (Part 2)

Today was a good day at the flea market. First time I have actually found a decent cash of vintage handles. That octagon handle is so slim and comfortable it’s crazy. Then there is the “riggers” handle I believe they called it. Where the swell at the bottom is for the hammer poll side. A nice white oak double bit handle. And all are straight as an arrow. Then three Plumb heads and a slasher double bit. And that little flint edge. The 18” starrett square was a nice find. It’s straight also. And a Stanley 70 box plane. Like a spokeshave with a long handle. And a cool little flush mount vise. Thanks for looking!! Oh ya and the hewing hatchet is a keen Kutter. Has some chipping on the poll. Interesting really there is a crack with a chunk missing where you can see the separate steel added.

OK, my curiosity cost me some money today. The adjustable angle sharpener had to follow me home. If you know anything about that kind of sharpener please share your knowledge. I am curious about the shape of the edge of the wheel : What was the use for it? Thanks
Edit
I am having trouble finding anything that resembles that grinder. I know Hammond Machine Builders later on made professional grade belt grinders. This one was found in private house (bunch of small tools, no workbench or designated working area in the basement: Too big for just kitchen knife sharpener. This thing seemed out of place in that house).

Last edited:
B Brian Rust , does the octagonal haft say Wards Master Quality on the side of it? I ask because I found a haft that looks nearly identical to yours a few years back that was a Wards-branded haft. It's my go-to axe handle "pattern" when I'm modifying hardware store hafts and possibly my favorite user haft as well.
DSC-0636.jpg

I found a couple things at a yard sale down the street, but the " man of the house " wasn't there at the time so she's going to ask and I'll check back tomorrow.
They're supposed to have a bunch more stuff unloaded from the storage unit too.

Found a DB head, looks probably 60's + with little to no convex and very thin overall. In pretty darn good condition.
There was also another DB laying on what appeared to be a " decorative " wood pile as it's obviously hasn't seen any activity in a long time., I didn't really get a good look at that one.
A beat up hatchet stuck in one of the logs I also didn't get much of a look at but am thinking is probably modern junk.

Hopefully I can get one or either tomorrow, I was told he got a good deal of these kind of tools from his passed grandfather.
Definitely a promising yard sale.

I did pick up a little airplane shaped micro kite NIB for 5¢ and for free a faux security camera like I used to have, nothing you guys would care much about but I'm glad to have walked home with something today :)
You're never too old to play with a kite :D

I have had a couple of those that came from military use I guess. They both had a “US” mark toward the tip of the pick section.

Home from a week in beautiful Oxford NY and was able to secure these fellas shipment so they would be waiting for me. Thank you JB!

20190727-134434.jpg

20190727-134516.jpg

20190727-134448.jpg

20190727-134533.jpg

Red Seal Jersey @ 3 1/2lbs.
Becks Victor near 1 3/4lb. Hatchet

I was lucky enough to at one point score an almost perfect Brek's Victor house axe. Internet told me it was a big mail order company, and still sells seeds to this day. Also that it's likely Kelly made, but darn if it don't look very Collins-y to me.

B Brian Rust , does the octagonal haft say Wards Master Quality on the side of it? I ask because I found a haft that looks nearly identical to yours a few years back that was a Wards-branded haft. It's my go-to axe handle "pattern" when I'm modifying hardware store hafts and possibly my favorite user haft as well.
DSC-0636.jpg

No it doesn’t. It also does not have a kerf cut into it. I don’t know if I am going to use it haha. No I will but it will have to be the right head. I’m sure it will set a while or until I find that $5 black raven lol!!!

I was lucky enough to at one point score an almost perfect Brek's Victor house axe. Internet told me it was a big mail order company, and still sells seeds to this day. Also that it's likely Kelly made, but darn if it don't look very Collins-y to me.

I almost had a Brecks Victor Connectitcut...once :D

I am not certain they are Kelly made, I thought I read once that Brecks axes were made by Collins, stamped and sold by the Brecks Hardware & Garden store located in or around Boston (?).
Cant go wrong either way...still a great quality axe.

Coffee!:cool:

Perhaps Mann had a hand in the Brecks line of axes...reading these few pages of The Iron Age...these successful companies all moved together.
I was having trouble linking to this page...
Smart-Select-20190728-083014-Chrome.jpg

All cool stuff, pertinent or not lol!

Last edited:
A Brecks Connie would have been incredible!

Here's mine:

View attachment 1169484

That's a real beauty Fmont Fmont

I have a Winchester and a Flint Edge house axe...possibly a 3rd but I am not sure only one cup of coffee so far ;)

I was trying to link to this page in my above post regarding the Brecks Garden stores and axes.

Smart-Select-20190728-083014-Chrome.jpg

Lesson learned...dont try posting links till a minimum of 2 cups coffee:D

Back