1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Really good finds! There's a bunch of neat stuff there. Haven't seen too many disston levels. Am I the only one confused about how that adze is hung? I've been looking at it and it still doesn't make sense!
    Also what make is that hammer with round lugs, slightly curved claw and octagonal face? Looks like a really nice hammer!

Meek1, A17, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  2. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I was reminded of your post of forensics and repurposing of a donated wagon wheel.
    Poking around at my parents today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad told me to take it...take it all lol!
    We had my wifes car...;)

Meek1, A17, Fmont and 6 others like this.
  3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I believe that the haft is actually modified railroad pick replacement handle (most likely hickory)
    [​IMG]

Yeah I know, that hang is very strange, that is why I had to buy it :)
    Stanley Floor Layer's Hammer #221 2lbs

[​IMG]

https://archive.org/details/StanleyToolsCatalogueNo341941/page/n159?q=stanley+claw+hammer

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Meek1, A17, Fmont and 5 others like this.
  4. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    You missed great opportunity for memorable moment . Next time grab mattock haft, tell your wife to drive slowly and follow her car rolling all the way home :)
    [​IMG]
    https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?R=DC-PICTURES-R-1167

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Meek1, A17, Nbrackett and 7 others like this.
  5. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Meek1, crbnSteeladdict, A17 and 3 others like this.
  6. jake pogg

jake pogg Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Yessir,that is a good score.
    If/when you were to "repurpose" it,you'll need to cut it apart.While doing that you'll probably get at least some idea of the nature of the iron that it's made of.
    Two simplest things you can do is a spark-test,that may give you a rough idea of the amount of Carbon in the alloy(on a normal bench grinder wheel Iron burns in a long reddish streak;while the Carbon particles explode in a sparkle effect when encountering carborundum;so the less sparkly effect-the less C).
    And the second is the test for possible fibrous nature of alloy.For this you make a cut not quite all the way through the material(cutting needs to be done across the strap that tire is made of),and break it the rest of the way by bending.
    That will tell you if that material was obtained by piling,or "faggoting",and the strands of iron in it are separated by slag inclusions.
    Both these factors may make it more or less appealing to some blacksmith near you,and act as a bribe or trading medium whereby you can get him(or her:) to perform some useful tasks you may need doing for your tool hoard(maybe forge some missing parts or re-heat-treat something?)...
    I'm afraid that other than that the above information is entirely useless!:)
    (maybe a knifemaker,too;some of them like the dirtier of those olds non-homogeneous alloys for the cool patterns inside as etched..)

Meek1, A17, Hairy Clipper and 8 others like this.
  7. jake pogg

jake pogg Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2015
    This did NOT follow me home(i exercised the utmost willpower,knowing that i already had too many irons in the fire...but If a project to use it ever comes up-i know where it lives!)
    So this is to just show photos of a neat broadaxe:

https://imgur.com/f43q4ac

https://imgur.com/B2YOQDU

https://imgur.com/BhJ6Teu

It appears to be fairly "modern",from the Golden age of American toolmaking.Much competition,very high standards,not a trace of welding on this,everything is ground very carefully;great precision and control over product.
    Have to look very close for traces of dissimilar metal joinery.

Meek1, A17, Square_peg and 4 others like this.
  8. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  9. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    A17, Trailsawyer, Fmont and 5 others like this.
  10. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    What's the Connecticut pattern with the cut off handle bottom row left hand side? Looks minty!
    And the one 5th down from the top with the haft? Interested in one or both! I can clearly see they're in good shape... :)

A17, Fmont, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  11. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    You are good at this game. It is enjoyable to see a professional doing what they are good at. Gives me something to aspire to. Quite impressive!

A17, jblyttle, Fmont and 2 others like this.
  12. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Fmont, Yankee Josh and Meek1 like this.
  13. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    5 down caught my eye, too. What a beauty, drooling

14. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    :rolleyes: I’m saying.

Yankee Josh, Fmont and Meek1 like this.
  15. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Lol

16. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    First, your absence is definitely noted. Second, that is some understated “awesome” in your post!

A17, Hairy Clipper, jblyttle and 3 others like this.
  17. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    MADE in Sweden and a 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Some good finds! Well done! After all this time and I still haven't found a super steel Vaughn yet..
    Will you be re-hanging your Acme hatchet? I ask because if so I have a request to ask of you! I got this one awhile back; 15681554896672517121676440373049.jpg
    And much to my surprise it appears forge welded! Inside In front of the eye there's a clear "crack"(incomplete weld). Otherwise it appears like a modern hatchet. So I'm just curious and wanted to ask you to have a look and let me know what you find if you do take it off the stick. Thanks! 15681557242743337233326192437221.jpg

Fmont, Hairy Clipper and Meek1 like this.
  20. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Here you are sir.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.