It followed me home (Part 2)

20191013-162120.jpg

20191013-174437.jpg

20191013-174849.jpg

20191013-175011.jpg

20191013-174912.jpg

20191013-174928.jpg

My 7 yr old son and i had a great time today :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Holy monkey balls! That's a lotta stuff you must be pumped! There's a lot of cool things there Miller. Is there any makers marks on the D handle shovel? Top middle 2cond photo. Looks like it's in really good shape!
And what a fun way to spend some time with your boy. Well done all around!

Holy monkey balls! That's a lotta stuff you must be pumped! There's a lot of cool things there Miller. Is there any makers marks on the D handle shovel? Top middle 2cond photo. Looks like it's in really good shape!
And what a fun way to spend some time with your boy. Well done all around!

Geez, Miller! That's a haul!

Thanks fellas, it was a lot of fun today. Some great surprises and just a good time.

Josh, the shovel isbin good shape. All i was able to make out was SolidCastSteel on one side and Z then possibly an F and then to faint of a third letter to recognize.

I fell hard for this shovel here too...

20191013-175011.jpg

20191013-175015.jpg

20191013-175019.jpg

Jet-Lite
Made in England

Of course this Norlund Cruiser was a cool score as well

20191013-162151.jpg

20191013-162155.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks fellas, it was a lot of fun today. Some great surprises and just a good time.

Josh, the shovel isbin good shape. All i was able to make out was SolidCastSteel on one side and Z then possibly an F and then to faint of a third letter to recognize.

I fell hard for this shovel here too...

20191013-175011.jpg

20191013-175015.jpg

20191013-175019.jpg

Jet-Lite
Made in England

Of course this Norlund Cruiser was a cool score as well

20191013-162151.jpg

20191013-162155.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Heck of a haul!
I recognize the shovel as I spent some time with a square point of the same make. The name of the maker will probably come to me in a day or two. I think the blue handles and head is a Belknap color.

Hummm, the name of that company still escapes me but I think I posted a picture of it in the shovel thread. Probably long gone. I am off to a remote cabin in central Idaho so, no cell phones, no TV, no people, no internet, no BS. :D We have plumbing, a great wood burner to heat and cook on and gas lights too. I will probably survive. :)

So as some of us do I watch YouTube. There is a small channel that I have watched for a while now and the gentleman that runs it just made a logo for his channel. To make a long story short my wife runs an embroidery business so I asked her to make him some shirts and hats. In return he said he wanted to send me an axe. I saw pictures of it and thought it may be a Collins Hudson Bay pattern. It came in yesterday and it was a very old LL Bean. Had the original sheath also. Pretty crappy sheath to be honest but it’s original. This axe really blew me away and I had not expected anything in return at all. Channel is Joes Shop. Go check him out! Mainly old tool restorations. Thanks for looking!

Three things today.
oQasxZT.jpg

rEPvWbR.jpg

Some of you know the Michigan pattern isn't my favorite. BUT I still can't pass up a good axe. This one really does make the pattern look good I think! #3-14.4oz. After some wire wheeling;
YMIODqk.jpg

A repro lensatic compass;
15712752677095275645182894253850.jpg
2S1jpyW.jpg

And a tool for pointing dowels. It's made by B.B.Y&co. (The second "B" is up for debate)
bU5bKSW.jpg
FIyqQBD.jpg
2AW9317.jpg

The iron has a small nick in it but there's plenty left to file it down. This will help making handles for any socket type tool. I can at least make the tip of the point exactly what I need. Then plane, whittle or draw shave the rest down. Have a great evening all!

Last edited:
Three things today.
oQasxZT.jpg

rEPvWbR.jpg

Some of you know the Michigan pattern isn't my favorite. BUT I still can't pass up a good axe. This one really does make the pattern look good I think! #3-14.4oz. After some wire wheeling;
YMIODqk.jpg

A repro lensatic compass;
View attachment 1214483
2S1jpyW.jpg

And a tool for pointing dowels. It's made by B.B.Y&co. (The second "B" is up for debate)
bU5bKSW.jpg
FIyqQBD.jpg
2AW9317.jpg

The iron has a small nick in it but there's plenty left to file it down. This will help making handles for any socket type tool. I can at least make the tip of the point exactly what I need. Then shave, whittle or draw shave the rest down. Have a great evening all!

Josh- I still have my Michigan pattern double bit axe, I have had it for 50 years or so. It is the axe that I use most often for some reason. Compasses and sextants are an interest of mine although I do not collect them. I think it is more an interest in (I hate to say this) old fashion navigation tools. Yes, the GPS is nice until the batteries go dead. Anyway, I think your new compass is pretty cool! I have never seen a dowel sharpener. Are you sure Paul Bunyan didn't use it on pencils for Johnny Inkslinger?

junkenstein, those little Homelites are really decent little saws. Dad made a living repairing chainsaws and other small engines. unless we are cutting something huge, he always pulls out one of his many XL-2's. That one pictured looks pristine. Usually about all that goes wrong with them is the fuel lines get eaten up by ethanol or the screen in the carb will get stopped up

Things.
rvnJBX9.jpg

Violin shaves? Santa's elves maybe?
The irons measure 7/8".
FlG81Ks.jpg
8G0FBN9.jpg
uEJxdMt.jpg

I haven't done any digging for info yet but this is the bottom of the box they came in;
C4DraNe.jpg

1944 diamond caulk. I know a few of you have these.
Mk6HEKv.jpg

2" x 14"(excluding the broken handle) buck brothers;
caVdJLD.jpg
UlOtTXL.jpg

Another one...
JJahEMx.jpg

Not bad for a work day!

I figured I'd do a separate post for these. These were my grandfather's! Ecstatic to have these. I'm not sure what he made and what he didn't. By they were his and that's all I care about. He died 25 years before I was born so all I have are stories and now a few precious belongings.
A couple handmade C clamps.
WKxVkYB.jpg
RB6zLvq.jpg
HqK3uCZ.jpg

Splitting wedge;
3VnC23h.jpg

wxyusLG.jpg

And a chisel;
q9dODW0.jpg

I'm hoping against hope that once cleaned up something will have a mark that he used for things he made. That would make me so happy...! Thanks!

Back