It followed me home (Part 2)

...not sure who made the one with the crown??? Never seen a crown quite like this- marked for US sales with 3lbs and has either a CH or maybe Cm in bottom of crown- any help identifying is appreciated. Crown, eye and taper tell me it is Euro.
IMG_6655_zpscfa81209.jpg

Looks like it was made by the company that is now called Helko.
(Crown with CH was the German company of Carl Helsper, now called Helko.)

...the Crown with CH is Carl Helsper, Wuppertal-Küllenhahn...
Carl Helsper exists today as Helko....
KJleU.jpg

Steve,
As always, your research skills are par excellance! And greatly appreciated. This one is in good shape and will make soomeone a good work axe. I will likely put it on a 32" curved and find hands in need of an axe.

Thanks,
Bill

No luck in my previous threads, so hey, why not post it here! These are both by the same manufacturer yet I have no idea what they are (bedies Maine Patterns). The larger one is marked at 3 3/4#, the smaller at 3 1/4#, both Maine patterns. The larger is dated to 1952, the smaller 1954 each under the poll. On one side of the axes is the mark BAR on the side of the poll, and on the other it is marked P T, with the weight on the cheeks of the blade. The last marking I've found is under the blade, near the front of the eye, and it's either a W or an M. Not quite sure. Top: 3 1/4#, Bottom: 3 3/4#
image-76.jpg

3 1/4# markings:
image-72.jpg

image-74.jpg

image-75.jpg

image-80.jpg

3 3/4# Markings:
image-69.jpg

image-70.jpg

image-78.jpg

image-79.jpg

Thanks to you guys on this forum, I've found or acquired 7 or 8 axes so far to restore over the past year. However, I went to the flea market last weekend and found my first axe "in the wild". I bought it for $10. I could barely make out "Temper" at the flea market, but after removing the handle and a vinegar bath, it turned out to be a True Temper, Kelly Perfect. I couldn't be happier. It has a 33 stamped on it, but weighs just under 3.2lbs. I just ordered a 36", no lacquer, octagon handle from House Handles. This will definitely be one of my favorites.

54db4o.jpg

zw0o46.jpg

jhvt5w.jpg

2dgs6k3.jpg

Kansan, you did real good. You never know whats under the rust or dirt. Sometimes I just take a chance if the price is right.

This is a hewing axe I picked up. Its stamped Douglas axe manufacturing by W Hunt. I have know idea what the SSD stamp is about. Some one has unfortunately bead blasted it I think, but the price was right.

P1010075_zps40577087.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Picked both of these up this weekend. Both Gransfors Bruks. The Large double bit "Working Axe", and the smaller "Small Forest Axe".
Couldn't be happier that I finally added some GB's to my collection. Gonna get a lot of use out of these two over the summer.
2wn6xz4.jpg
[/IMG]

Slim pickings hereabouts this weekend but I found a few things. 'Diamond Edge' 10" 4-in-hand rasp. It's nice to step up to a 10" after having had only 8" 4-in-hand rasps. 1943 Legitimus US machete, 18" blade, 23" overall. 'Hercules' shears. What caught my eye on these was the turned handles but what made me grab them was the oil port next to the hinge bolt. Never seen that before.

Legitmus%20machete-shears-4-in-hand.jpg

A set of sturdy pruning shears with a built-in oiler! Must have been prescribed in long ago gov't purchase specs for City workers in hopes they'd actually accomplish some work. Talk about being over-engineered. Today's version involves a 1/2 million dollar offshore-manufactured machine of one sort or another, one or two modified pickup trucks, a collection of gas motors, 2-3 flag persons/safety officers, union steward and a huge infrastructure devoted to purchase, repair and maintenance.

Since it was built to last forever they figured you'd need to oil it.

Flip open the spring-hinged cap and there's a wick under there. Add a few drops of oil and it stays lubricated for a decade. They still cut good after all these years. But they'll get a tune up none the less.

And I should clarify - I've never seen that oil port on a pair of shears before. I have a couple old electric motors that have them on the shafts.

Hale Storm, that DBL bit will limb a tree like Grant marched through the south. Be careful though the grind is not real durable. I would change things a little on one bit if it was mine. Its a little thin, but GB's are great axes in my opinion. I don't know what magic they have in the heat treat but they have it.

Square Peg, that is the nicest pair of shears I have ever seen. You can't even get a grease zerk on spring shackles any more. Just amazing that them shears have an oil port. Made to last.

Is that '43 machete wood handled, or just dirty? it's hard to tell. I recently picked up a wood-handled new machete, and I like it very much. If it is indeed wood, I have a new machete to hunt for! I'd love to swing a 70+ year old machete.

You Guys are finding some good stuff out there
Heres a few bits I picked up

My heaviest so far I think at 6 1/4lbs
Made by Elwell

Is that '43 machete wood handled, or just dirty? If it is indeed wood, I have a new machete to hunt for! I'd love to swing a 70+ year old machete.

Just dirty. It looks like bakelite or something similar. It's the 2nd WWII Legitmus machete I've found in a month.

My heaviest so far I think at 6 1/4lbs
Made by Elwell

That's a big one! I also think that old hacksaw blade handle is cool.

Shoe Polish? :confused:
Judging from how often I polish my shoes, that's at least a five-year supply! :p
Hey the Kiwi brown and the black shoe polish my mom gave me in the mid 60s is likely to outlive me. And those pictured tins are modern compared to mine! Shoes made today don't last long enough to need polish and shining.

I moved back to Korea, and so haven't had much to post these last several months. But I do check in and drool from time to time.

Anyway, I am back in CA for a few weeks, and have managed a couple scores.

New old stock cruiser from my brother. He owns a new/used tool store:)

Two heads I picked up for five dollars total at the local flea. One is a nice 4# Kelly Flint Edge with some interesting markings, the other a no name double, but it does have the "Kelly" ridges inside the eye.

After a bit of clean up.

The one on top is an older Craftsman boys axe that was in the store. I'm fixing it up and hafting it for my brother.

He also had a little Kelly hatchet that I'm working on.

Here they are cleaned and sharpened. The one on top with tape is a Swedish boy's axe. I'll post the stamp later. It's been ready and waiting for a handle for a while.

Square peg
Its an Eclipse 4S Tool, the first one I have ever seen so bought it out of curiosity

Yep I did pick up a lot of boot polish, its clear so will get used on alsorts and it was very very cheap :)

I was looking for the crown logo(GB) when I bought this. I could make out no markings at all. Turns out its a Mann.

P1010076_zpsc89cecf6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Better than nothing but I know that vintage GB's go for more than they are worth.

Back