John Lloyd Knives

I just want to add something here.
Since the moment I saw John's knves I thought they were great, and in that short space of time we have seen John's knives grow - not only in popularity, but in quality and expand his unique-stunning styles.
I hope we see John back soon, and hope that he comes in here himself or through Vince to announce his return.
I have owned 8 or 9 of Johns knives now, and have gifted 4 of these away, no - I think 5?...it doesn't matter, I have a few left-and knowing I was gifting or offering a quality knife made it all the better for me-and of course the recipient.
Thank you John for sharing your amazing Talent with us lucky folk here.
Good luck on your venture with your son.

I thought the rule of thumb was block letters mean it was made in Lareto and script in St. Louis?

The size of the block letters on knives I have varies. A couple are real small.

I have seen pics of knives with Lareto stamped on them but none of mine has it.

I guess my pocketbook will appreciate his new project. ;)

Mea Culpa ... when Vince listed this beauty recently, I had to have it. 3.25" closed, 154CPM blade and spring, halfstop, spring flush all three positions.

lloydmammoth.jpg

Very nice hafting material. Gentle start on the ramp combined with the distance between the nail nick and the pivot make this one easy to open but still snappy. Excellent blade to handle ratio.

lloydmammoth1.jpg

Slight recurve on the blade makes an excellent cutting tool.

lloydmammoth2.jpg

Nice color on the back too. A little dust on the blade ... oops!

lloydmammoth3.jpg

The arrowhead shield pushed me over the edge. This magnified view shows what an excellent job John did fitting all the small curves.

lloydmammoth4.jpg

Thanks John, it's a sweetheart!​

John, you are one very lucky guy, that is a hang-of-a-knife!!
I agree totally about the blade to handle ratio, the aesthetics of this knife are just beautiful,and once again the arrow head with the Mammoth ivory is a fantastic idea of Johns.
The colour of the M/I is just great - thanks for showing us John, ( did I manage to hide my envy in this?:D )
By the way...last time we were talking-I thought you had enough knives ;) lol its a burning inside of us that will never cease!

Nice knives All
Here's a 52100 drop point I recently had to have.Simple design , to the point

001-10_zpsb5099d86.jpg

By the way...last time we were talking-I thought you had enough knives ;) lol its a burning inside of us that will never cease!

My dear friend ... thanks ... and sad but I must confess that I do have enough knives ... more than a lifetime supply ... you shoulda warned me sooner!!! :) So I'll take this opportunity to show off my other recent Lloyd acquisition, 3.25" mini Lanny's Clip. Have been carrying and using this one and like it a lot, the texture of stag agrees with my hand.

lloydstagminilannysclip.jpg

Slight recurve, deep hollow grind, after some time on my strop the edge is tres wicked. :) Sheath by BF member Al Dodge, aka Pocketknifesheaths.

lloydstagminilannysclip1.jpg

Beautiful knives every one of them...I was recently gifted this one and im really enjoying using it...Dark green jigged bone in cpm 154.... FES

hornbmw005.jpg

Is it a flush joint? John makes wonderful knives. Great guy!!!
Mea Culpa ... when Vince listed this beauty recently, I had to have it. 3.25" closed, 154CPM blade and spring, halfstop, spring flush all three positions.

lloydmammoth.jpg

Very nice hafting material. Gentle start on the ramp combined with the distance between the nail nick and the pivot make this one easy to open but still snappy. Excellent blade to handle ratio.

lloydmammoth1.jpg

Slight recurve on the blade makes an excellent cutting tool.

lloydmammoth2.jpg

Nice color on the back too. A little dust on the blade ... oops!

lloydmammoth3.jpg

The arrowhead shield pushed me over the edge. This magnified view shows what an excellent job John did fitting all the small curves.

lloydmammoth4.jpg

Thanks John, it's a sweetheart!​

John, that's a nice grind on that Lanny's Clip, and a reeeeeeal nice pocket Sheath to boot!

Great Photo Fes!

I took some shots the other day, I was concentrating on the wonder of Johns Scales that he uses on the knives, and unfortunately - it shows, I didn't catch good light to show the geometry of the blades at all, they just look like a shiny blank!!! - which is NOT what these knives are, they have a lot more to give than what the photo's suggest, so here we are anyway, these are all that I have left now - Oh man I love these knives.......

DSCF9053_zps4f0b6000.jpg

DSCF9052_zps6ce87300.jpg

The bottom one is sexy.
John, that's a nice grind on that Lanny's Clip, and a reeeeeeal nice pocket Sheath to boot!

Great Photo Fes!

I took some shots the other day, I was concentrating on the wonder of Johns Scales that he uses on the knives, and unfortunately - it shows, I didn't catch good light to show the geometry of the blades at all, they just look like a shiny blank!!! - which is NOT what these knives are, they have a lot more to give than what the photo's suggest, so here we are anyway, these are all that I have left now - Oh man I love these knives.......

DSCF9053_zps4f0b6000.jpg

DSCF9052_zps6ce87300.jpg

I like them all! But that jigged bone Slimline Trapper is right up my alley! It looks really
nice, Bone looks fantastic... Congrats.

Jason

I like them all! But that jigged bone Slimline Trapper is right up my alley! It looks really
nice, Bone looks fantastic... Congrats.

Jason

Thanks JASON....it is indeed a beauty..(its in my pocket now).....The top knife in Duncans pic i have had the pleasure of handling...Id hold his dog to ransom for that one !!!........ FES

Thanks JASON....it is indeed a beauty..(its in my pocket now).....The top knife in Duncans pic i have had the pleasure of handling...Id hold his dog to ransom for that one !!!........ FES

I am not too sure if I'd want my dog back after that:D

Wow such great looking! John I live your new knife, that lanny's clip grind is sweet...and Duncan what a collection. Hold on to that knife and get new dog LOL. I am sure I'll have one as soon as I find the funds.
Mike

Is it a flush joint? John makes wonderful knives. Great guy!!!

If I understand your question correctly, it's flush in all three positions. Not quite sunk, but protrudes less than most.

John I live your new knife, that lanny's clip grind is sweet...

Thanks, it's doing a great job for my needs.

Duncan, agree with Rick, the stag on that bottom knife looks really sweet, am quickly becoming a fan of stag on using knives.

All, please don't take my strop comment to mean it didn't arrive sharp, it's just that most all knives arrive with a more toothy edge than I prefer. A few minutes with some 1 micron paste on leather and it's wicked.

If I understand your question correctly, it's flush in all three positions. Not quite sunk, but protrudes less than most.

Hey John, I think what Rick was asking is whether the joint is flush like the old Remington 1123/1173 pattern (also like the GEC 23/73 pattern). The flush joint is one of my all-time favorite features in a slipjoint.

Like this, where the tang is flush with the top of the bolster(makes cleaning the joint incredibly easy):

NhaOxRb.jpg

Back