John Lloyd Knives

I can't wait 'til Saturday to show this shot,sorry

zYstikd.jpg

2018-03-17 22.01.26.jpg
I like all of them, but these two in particular are fantastic.
One of my favorites

IMG_3096_zpsdyedqc8o.jpg
-------
Now, on to my reason for bumping this thread is for an update about my Sought-after Sowbelly. Picture for reference.
NPrCCFt.jpg
After about two years of searching, always one (or more) step(s) behind the knife, I finally found the person that currently owns the knife. I have some good news and bad news to report.

The good news is that I was supplied with two new pictures.
image1-13.jpeg image1-12.jpeg
The bad news is that the knife is not for sale.

Because I Just Bought It!
This knife that I have been tracking for years was paid for today, and it will be shipping out to me (from the UK) on Monday!

I am now the proud owner of my first (and not likely my last) JH Lloyd.

Dude congrats!!!! What an epic hunt, that is fantastic : ) Beautiful Knife
Thank you. It was quite a journey. I haven't had anything like this happen prior to now, so it is a peculiar feeling.
I am excited, but since I have been seeking the knife for so long, I am trying to temper my excitement and my expectations. Though, all of the praise that is heaped upon John in this thread makes it doubly as hard...

I was told the knife is flush in all positions, smooth with a 6-7 pull and a bear trap snap, Westinghouse micarta, and slightly uneven secondaries due to a freehand sharpening, but it is Very sharp.

I am looking forward to having it in hand.

Well it looks amazing and I bet you will love it. Heaps of sentimental value as well for you. I am still hoping John will send Vince a sowbelly in natural material covers, no luck so far :D

View attachment 870176
I like all of them, but these two in particular are fantastic.

-------
Now, on to my reason for bumping this thread is for an update about my Sought-after Sowbelly. Picture for reference.
View attachment 870186
After about two years of searching, always one (or more) step(s) behind the knife, I finally found the person that currently owns the knife. I have some good news and bad news to report.

The good news is that I was supplied with two new pictures.
View attachment 870195 View attachment 870196
The bad news is that the knife is not for sale.

Because I Just Bought It!
This knife that I have been tracking for years was paid for today, and it will be shipping out to me (from the UK) on Monday!

I am now the proud owner of my first (and not likely my last) JH Lloyd.
Congrats, that is dedication. Unlike you, my first Lloyd was a spur of the moment purchase. I do feel the same about it. It's a treasured knife and I think the feeling stems from knowing exactly who made it. It has a history not unlike a knife passed down, or even a production knife that you may own that you have a connection to. Enjoy it and post lots of pics.

View attachment 871247 View attachment 871248 View attachment 871252 View attachment 871253 NJBillK NJBillK Incredible story! That knife does have a special look that makes me think it was worth the difficulty. I bet @John L would find this interesting.

I believe you will love the knife. I certainly enjoy the two that I own, and I agree with joeradza joeradza . Please give us an update when you receive it.

dispatch184 dispatch184 Have you asked Vincent to request some? I would like to get one as well. However, I have noticed that his sowbelly knives are usually four inches closed. I find that a bit large to carry. Do you or Vincent know if he makes them in different lengths? Three and three quarters would be perfect to me. Which natural material do you prefer? It seems that he often uses jigged bone on sowbelly’s. I have noticed that his jigged bone sowbelly knives have a bolster which makes them look quite different than the shadow pattern knives in micarta like NJBill’s. Which do you prefer?

VCM3 VCM3 Vincent, whatever you get for Drew, I want one of the same. He has great taste in knives!

View attachment 871247 View attachment 871248 View attachment 871252 View attachment 871253 NJBillK NJBillK Incredible story! That knife does have a special look that makes me think it was worth the difficulty. I bet @John L would find this interesting.

I believe you will love the knife. I certainly enjoy the two that I own, and I agree with joeradza joeradza . Please give us an update when you receive it.
Fantastic looking knives. I am a fan of the handle on bottom one, but the clip on the first.

I would like to think he would get a kick out of my story. It is spread across a few posts, albeit the bulk is in one. If John does not read it here, I will understand and shoot him an email detailing it.

As soon as it lands, I will be giving my initial impression, and taking some measurements (BTE, accurate blade, handle, and OAL), as well as snapping some pics of comparable sizes and patterns that I have immediately available.

dispatch184 dispatch184 Have you asked Vincent to request some? I would like to get one as well. However, I have noticed that his sowbelly knives are usually four inches closed. I find that a bit large to carry. Do you or Vincent know if he makes them in different lengths? Three and three quarters would be perfect to me. Which natural material do you prefer? It seems that he often uses jigged bone on sowbelly’s. I have noticed that his jigged bone sowbelly knives have a bolster which makes them look quite different than the shadow pattern knives in micarta like NJBill’s. Which do you prefer?

VCM3 VCM3 Vincent, whatever you get for Drew, I want one of the same. He has great taste in knives!

Whewww those are gorgeous Leslie! You know I am not sure if he varies the lengths on them but I hope so, I would be happy with anything around 4 ish and under but a little under 4 is a sweet spot : ) I had a PM exchange with Vince a couple weeks back but if you are reading this Vince... : )
I would love to try his jigged bone, stag or mammoth (with texture). When I first started getting into traditional slip joints one of the first I came across was one of John’s, a sowbelly in mammoth. I really didn’t know much at the time, specifically didn’t appreciate what I had, and sold it soon after as I experimented with different patterns. I don’t think I even truly understood what custom meant. I think about it sometimes and with one exception recently have not bought a sowbelly since. NJbillK’s story struck a chord with me for sure. Thank you for the compliment as well, you are too kind my friend!

Good morning everyone. I read some of the latest comments in this thread.Thanks for all the kind words ,interest & enthusiasm.

I know John has made sowbelly style knives off of Rick Menefee's " Wichita Trapper " knife,and Tony Bose' " Rabbit Knife" . I just do not know what exact sizes these are ,but I do recall a 3-3/4 " version ,as well as the 4" range version.

John really likes to get creative and make knives as he feels,so orders get to be overlooked . Recently,he made a new knife called the " Moonshiner " ( I named it that,I do not know why ,but it just sounded good. Later I added ,it would be a good knife for someone out in the woods for a spell,full size,folds up compact,and,it was born in the woods ,true stories,lol ) Anyhow,the reason I brought that knife up is because I'd like to point out,these are handmade knives. I have one Moonshiner from a batch of 3 that were made,that is slightly longer & wider ,than a Moonshiner made a month later,it was a little smaller in all aspects,not by much. A " Generation II " if you will .

What I know for sure though,lol,is I'll have some 4" Don Hanson style trappers soon,and a few of Rick Menefee's " Double Modified Clip" 4-1/4" backpocket knives ( this started life as a Bret Dowell modified clip,he made it bigger & put his spin on it) . So if any of those interest you,stay tuned ,keep a look out,because they are going fast these days.

As far as " creativity" ,I still have a " Clipback" in stag & it is a beauty,on my site,price was reduced a bit . This is a tank of a little swayback. Over the years I've heard countless " I like the swayback but don't like a warny" cries, so much so,that I can't figure how this knife was not created earlier,who knows ,maybe it was.

It folds up nice & compact but opened up the blade flows off the handles. John does a great job .
Take a look at it

e3yGg5j.jpg

KVcsfHa.jpg

Group Shot March Sale
Could I see an open blade shot of #1?
2018-03-20 22.51.44.jpg
#1, #2, and #3 just sing to me. I would love to take any of them home, but I am content (for now).
Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville dispatch184 dispatch184
#1 might catch your eye. Maybe an Improved Dogleg Trapper, or an Improved Sowbelly?

I don't know if the "Improved Sowbelly" would be accurate, but the Improved Trapper blade layout (wharncliffe/clip) on a Sowbelly frame, would be just about perfect for me. Maybe put a Birdseye pivot on there and micarta slabs, and I will be a happy camper.

Last edited:
TZL0Sru.jpg

Excluding the two blade ( sold yesterday) ,that's a group shot of the knives on the site,and on sale. The small stag shadow spear point has eluded buyers,I can't for the life of me figure that out. It's small,light,not too fat,has a great action & nice stag. You'd be hard pressed to find anything like that one out there as far as construction type,steel type & stag.

The ebony pruner is a primo knife,as well as the stag Clipback. The Barlow and dog leg jack are killer too.

It's been said many times lately,John is killing it !!

Back