KA-BAR Tech Talk

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
Here you go, a place to access The Toooj.

This is the spot for your technical questions, and only the technical questions. No chatting. If you start to chat or comment beyond your question, I will move your post out.

If you have a question about steel or knife manufacturing, post it here, Toooj will answer it here. That way, we can keep some very good info in one place.

So, bring on The Toooj.

Moose

Thanks Moose.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I have a question. Why did you decide to go with the low Rockwell hardness on the Heavy Duty Warthog? I bought one anyway knowing the low hardness, and I love the weight and feel of it, but I'm just curious as to the 52-54. The Heavy Bowie (which I have owned for quite a while and love) even has a higher Rockwell. Thanks!

I have another question. Will Ka-Bar make the Mk I with the leather handle? If so, I'll buy one.

I have another question. Will Ka-Bar make the Mk I with the leather handle? If so, I'll buy one.

I can answer this one, at least partially. They are being made.
According to the current Ka-Bar catalog, the leather handled ones are being distributed exclusively via Blue Ridge Knives, and they're harder to find via Google.
I wonder if an email to Blue Ridge (a wholesaler) might result in a list of vendors where the leather Mark I's are (or will be) available.

J.Davey/Cramsey,
We decided to go with the lower Hardness after lessons learned from the original Warthog. A lot of the warthog users baton, trench and pry with that blade. We opted for toughness as opposed to high sharpness and edge holding. Also note that we rehandled the knife and thickened the blade...more lessons. Rockwell hardness can be like a automobile specs war. Do those 2-3 points really make that big of a difference? We think there is adequate hardness to give you a decent edge; easy to sharpen in the field; alot of toughness for extreme users.
If we get a lot of feed back to the contrary, we can always up the hardness.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Last edited:
Horn Dog,

Guyon is correct. The remake Leather Mark 1 was a request by Blue Ridge Knives. They won't sell you direct unless you are a dealer but they can certainly tell you which dealer has one. They have the exclusive on the leather model while there are no such restrictions on the Kraton version. BTW; Blue Ridge is one of the absolutely best companies in our industry. Fair, honest, decent people.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Any chance of dropping the mongo pommel on the D2 KaBar and going with the standard KaBar pommel instead ?

Shunsui,

You know, we talk about that from time to time in our PD meetings. So far there isn't enough customer feedback driving a change. ECNs at the factory are like having your all of your teeth pulled; so it has to be significant or the pain isn't worth it.
If you have skills, I'll send you a pin and standard pommel for a DIY project.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Looks like I should contact Blue Ridge knives. I can remember playing with old Mk-1s, MK-2s, bayonets, and such as a post WWII child growing up on military bases. We had real US Surplus for our toys! The MK-1 is a good all-around belt knife.

Thanks for the offer. I've heard the standard pommel was available from the service dept, but I wasn't sure if it was compatible with the tang on the D2 version.

One more question, what's your Rockwell hardness on the D2 blades ?

Shunsui,

1217 Pommel will work on 1281.

D2 Hardness: 59-60 HRc.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

J.Davey/Cramsey,
We decided to go with the lower Hardness after lessons learned from the original Warthog. A lot of the warthog users baton, trench and pry with that blade. We opted for toughness as opposed to high sharpness and edge holding. Also note that we rehandled the knife and thickened the blade...more lessons. Rockwell hardness can be like a automobile specs war. Do those 2-3 points really make that big of a difference? We think there is adequate hardness to give you a decent edge; easy to sharpen in the field; alot of toughness for extreme users.
If we get a lot of feed back to the contrary, we can always up the hardness.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

That's what I thought the plan was with the new knife. IMO, there's not really any comparison between the new version and the old. The new version is great. I've got a Cutlass and I know it's 52-54RC. It takes a superb edge and holds it decently enough. When I hit a rock while chopping, the edge dented and rolled, but no chips. The damaged sharpened out (for the most part) when I touched up the blade on my Work Sharp. All is good. :thumbup:

Thanks, Toooj! I figured it was a toughness thing. Haven't had much of a chance to use it yet (just got it a couple weeks ago), but I have faith in my KaBars, so I'm not too worried about it.:thumbup:

Iron Head,

Not too much customer feedback about wanting thicker stock on our Khuk. I think most people go to HI or Cold Steel if they want thicker or authentic Khukris. But who knows what the future brings.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj, did Ka Bar improved the metal alloy in the new released Big Brother, regarding the all known fact that an over 9" blade knife has to have more sustainability on the field than a 7" or lower?
I am a little worried about the rat tail do not broke when stress occures.
PS. Do you know if a plastic (or kydex) sheath for this Big Brother will appear?

Not too much customer feedback about wanting thicker stock on our Khuk. I think most people go to HI or Cold Steel if they want thicker or authentic Khukris. But who knows what the future brings.

for people wanting a production (or even custom) type khukri, the options are somewhat limited... and if they wanted a thicker one, even more so... and American made, even more so...

Models I can rattle off the top of my head:

o KaBar Khuk - little needs to be said on this beast - or does it? Made by our Toooj :)

o Becker - from CinCin to future now... they were in the 1/4 range, going a little thinner for the KaBars - excellent product :D very excited about these

o Cold Steel - various thinner Carbon V models and of course the San Mai III Gurkha Kukri at $666 :) 5/16 inches thick

o Bill Siegle - he does a pretty nice khukri - 5160 tool steel iirc, about 1/4 inch thick at the spine. pretty dang awesome, esp for the price of a hand made custom. convexed as well iirc.

o Busse - they made a couple models. even more $$$ than the Cold Steel - good luck finding any :) heavy and thick though.

o Zlatoust - made a limited run, very interesting model with convexed blades, stainless, Russian made craftsmanship, corian handles... someday i'll find one :)

o BRKT - also had a limited run with some prototypes floating around. not too hard to find, but harder to find a minty one, convexed i think. one day :)

o Zombie Tools - they make a bunch of good heavy duty looking stuff, prices are in line with Siegle's and customs, but with a zombie twist :) Falcata too.

o lots and lots of various stamped models i'm not even going to mention. "khukri shaped objects" at best.

so IMHO there is a market niche for a heavier khukri :> esp one with a reasonable price, esp made of quality 1095 or 5160... esp American made :>

not too many Falcata or Kopis out there either. hah.

no pressure :) mmm, how about by April 2012? okay! see you at the booth...

Back