KA-BAR Tech Talk

Tooj,

I saw the new neck knife in another thread. I was hoping for some specs. Or at least a photo with a ruler (scale). Any chance you could provide this info at this time?

Thanks

Tdhurl,

The knife is the #1117.

It is a small neck knife with a GRN sheath (that will dull the blade :D)
The knife is 7-7/8" long and 2.3oz. The entire package weighs 3.5 oz.
Material: 1095 CV, Black epoxy powder coat.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

stvpouriau,

4" blade Lg.
0.125" Thk.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul TSujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

stvpouriau,

4" blade Lg.
0.125" Thk.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul TSujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qualhttp://www.bladeforums.com/forums/member.php/331741-Tdhurl1103?
KA-BAR Knives

It helps alot actually :) thank you!

Estimated street price--$30ish?? Like the Becker 11s. Hopefully.

My question's about the kukri machete. Why exactly is it classified as a machete when it's build feel is so much more like the Becker BK9? It feels more like a high quality knife than anything else.

Tooj, how would you clasify the blade shape of the 1247 Warthog if you had to describe it as something other than the warthog?

I love its blade shape so much but I just dont know what to call it, what were it's influences?

cramsey,

Gamestalker is 440A.

Galeocerdoshark,

The 1000 series slipjoints were all 440A also. Early versions were made at KA-BAR in Olean. Later versions(After the KA-BAR factory closed) were made at Camillus.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Is the catalog wrong? I just spoke with someone at KB, and they said it is 1095. Also, some internet vendors are listing this knife as made in China.

All,

1) stvpourciau,
Yes the new #1117 should be in that same price range.

2) Charlie_K,
Technically you are correct. We did want to up the "machete" ante with higher quality offerings...However, it's a just name; just like "Trust" is a name on a Bank. ;)

3) Dexwithers,
I do believe some of the sabre ground BK-16s made it into places other than Smoky Mt Knife works. There were also protos and pre-production pieces that made it into people's hands prior to being released. Don't worry; it's not a conspiracy. (yes it is)

4)stvpopurciau,
The 1247 Warthog was concieved by looking at a Randall Knife catalog. It is a morph between a Model #15 Airman and a Model #19 Bushmaster. That was back in 1997-8. I profess a very strong admiration for Randall Knives.
What is the blade shape called? ...A wide, short, straight clip?

5) Alnamvet,
The gamestalker blade is made of 440A Stainless. Catalog is wrong.

Hope all of this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hey Toooj,

My friend Luke with the New laser logo saber grind Bk16 got a response from Ka-bar customer service and this is what they said:

"Thank you for sending photos. The current model of the BK16 is going to be the one viewed in your photos. The first version had a complete flat grind. You may still find the older versions at our retailers. If you have any further questions please contact customer service again."

Is this correct or not correct?

They are saying that the BK16 is now going to have the Saber grind?

Do you mind looking into this for us?

Thank you sir.

Dex,

Really? I'll have to check with Customer Service on this one. I believe my explanation is correct. The full flat grinds came after the saber ground models.... This was at Ethan's request.
I'll let you know tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hmm, I'm seriously contemplating picking one up I. The next couple of months and I'd much prefer full flat grind.

All I know is that the ones (BK 16 & 17) pictured in the 2012 Catalog are both sabre? ground and the new 2013 Catalog shows them being different as the 16 this year is now full flat ground; if that says anything.

Judging from that I would assume that Tooj got it right.

The saber ground BK16 with the crinkle coating, and laster etching were some that slipped away at SHOT the year they debuted.

I believe it may be one of them, or another.

There were many variations floating around right after the BKT Shorts were released. Saber, flat paint. Saber crinkle paint. Roll stamped flat paint, saber ground.

No doubt that one is a rare breed.

Moose

All,

I spent some time with the drawing files and in the warehouse looking at BK-16s. The textured, saber ground blade is an anomily. One must have slipped through the cracks.... or we are being hosed.
The last revision to date is:

1) Full flat ground blade
2) Textured powder coat

This is what you should get in a BK-16 Box.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Thanks Toooj! We all appreciate you looking into this for us.

And by the way, If you happen to stumble upon a pallet of Saber grind 16's in the warehouse one day, please let us know and I would like to buy 5 of them. Haha.

Thanks again Toooj and have a great weekend!

Hey Toooj I was wondering why Ka-bar went with 1095CV over regular 1095?
Not asking which is better or anything just wondering if there was any certain reason you guys went with 1095CV.

PatrickKnight,

KA-BAR has always used Cro-Van since the late1920s- early 1930s. (It was Union Cutlery back then) For many years we called it Cro-Van or just plain 1095.
We started calling it 1095 CV around 1998 as we felt that we should differentiate it from regular 1095. It is a great performer.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr. Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
kA-BAR Knives

Back