KA-BAR Tech Talk

PatrickKnight,

KA-BAR has always used Cro-Van since the late1920s- early 1930s. (It was Union Cutlery back then) For many years we called it Cro-Van or just plain 1095.
We started calling it 1095 CV around 1998 as we felt that we should differentiate it from regular 1095. It is a great performer.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr. Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
kA-BAR Knives

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this for me Toooj. I really appreciate it.

Ello Toooj!
I'm still kinda new to the forums, but I started a thread recently regarding the origins and specs and such of a knife I have that says Ka-Bar on it, though I fear that it is fake.. Anywho, people couldn't agree w/ eachother on whether it was a fake or not, and I was told to ask you about it..

Here's the Ka-Bar :

RANDOM204_zps7df9b5f4.jpg

If you'd like to see more pictures of the knife, here's the link to the thread I started : http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1082324-Does-Anyone-Know-Anything-About-These-Knives

Cota 332,

It's a real KA-BAR...not from the factory but things we do for Big 5.

Derek,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll contact Cust Service and see what is going on.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Derek,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll contact Cust Service and see what is going on.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks Paul. CS contacted me and advised me to send it in for consideration. I will be shipping it out tomorrow.

Hi. My grandpa owned a 2 blade Kabar folder back in the 70s. It looked just like the 1184 except it had a brown handle that was a lighter brown towards the ends with similar texture to the 1184.

Any help you can give me regarding this knife is greatly appreciated. It would mean the world to me to find another one.

Hi Tooj,

Somewhere back at the beginning of this thread you mentioned that if someone wanted to swap out thier older higher glass content sheath for a newer low content one than that was fine.

I always keepthe spine edge of my KA-BARs against the sheath so dulling is not a normal issue an issue for me but I recently purchased a 1st Gen kabar Bk2 on the trade here and the thing is so dern hard to remove that it would be neay impossible for me to keep the cutting edge away from the plastic.

The main issue here is just stubborn removal.

I'd like to take you up on that and also would to know if it's possible to have the newer nylon bk22 sheath fir a replacement.

If not that's fine, I understand.

Also I'd very much like to hold onto my original sheath to go with the older version of the Becker purely for collective purposes.

I know I'm asking for te world on a platter here but I'd really be happy with any amount that you're willing to work with me.

Who do i talk to about having the sheath replaced?

stvpourciau,

Please send the sheath to my attention:

KA-BAR Knives
200 Homer Street
Olean, NY

Attn: Paul Tsujimoto

We'll replace it for you.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hey Toooj,

When will the little #1117 neckers be released? Asking because I've found a site that supposedly has them in stock but since I haven't heard about any release dates I'm kinda suspicious...

Appreciate any info.

Hey Paul,

I sent in the BK7 with the odd tip that Derek mentioned. How long is the turn around time for either regrind or replacement. I shipped it last Monday, so it should have gotten to the returns dept on Wednesday.

Thanks

Craig

EDIT: NM, they responded to my email and will be shipping my replacement knife out today.

Last edited:
I've been trying to date a knife. Kabar vs Ka-bar? The blade in question is a Kabar cleaver for fishing. Others have Ka-bar and P19s markings on them but not the one I have. It was owned by a someone who would be 85 or so now.

BK1, is the Brute planned for production this year or no?

I've seen two older post, one in Becker Archive and one you ( :) ) that say the Brute is "tentatively" planned for 2013;

And I've seen threads with credible peoples, including moose, saying that it's dead forever, so which one is it??

What's the skinny as of 2013 since I can't find any post that aren't years old.

russdory,

Pictures of the knife in question will help IDing. There are instructions on how to post pics. If you do this there will be plenty of help.

CamH,

The 1117s are ready for sale. It may take longer for you to get one in Austrailia.

stvpourciau,

The Brute project is dead. We made some prototypes and dug up some old Brutes and tested. The positives are that the Brute is a great looking knife. The negatives are that it didn't perform as well as the BK-9. So the question is: why would we want two knives in the same line competeing with each other....so we opted not to do it.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

tooj are there any plans too make grips like the ones for the bk14 for the kabar 1117? or is that something that kinda depends on how well sales go?

stvpourciau,

The Brute project is dead. We made some prototypes and dug up some old Brutes and tested. The positives are that the Brute is a great looking knife. The negatives are that it didn't perform as well as the BK-9. So the question is: why would we want two knives in the same line competeing with each other....so we opted not to do it.
There is no reason, though when I think about it, I like how the 1&2 and the 9&10 are respectively big beefy versions and then more sensible alternatives of basically the same design.

TwinStick,

The BK-6 is also dead...same as the BK-1. We tested and we're not happy with the outcome.
BTW: Good seeing you and family last weekend.

tfields,

We'll see. If the 1117 does well, a lot of things can happen.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

It's been said the kabars are differentially treated on the tang, is that also true of the Becker line?

Stvpouciau,

Yes. All carbon steel Becker's are differentially heat treated. Stainless steel Becker's are completely hardened. This is due to the type of heat treatment that each steel goes through. The Carbon steel blades are hardened in salt baths while the stainless steel blades go through a conveyorized furnace. The nature of how stainless and carbon steels harden determines the HT process.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj,

Any plans for a stainless BK 16? I love the shape and size, but living on the coast in the fog makes carbon steel tough to maintain. I saw you were experimenting with new steels and I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

Thanks,
Jason

Back