Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

I was wrong, the Badger Knife Club show is in April, but there was a show in October he used to attend.

You're not as wrong as you might think. The October Great Lakes Knife Show used to be a Badger Knife Club event, and is still being run by the same person that runs the April show. It was usually in the same venue as well, but this year it has moved down the street. Ken was absent in April, I'm still holding out hope that he'll make the show in October. I do understand that he had more important matters this year, and am more hoping that all is well with him. He is a great person to talk to, and infinitely patient with kids.

All I know about Ken is that he no longer has a website or a FaceBook page and basically has fallen completely off the grid!

Jeff

You're not as wrong as you might think. The October Great Lakes Knife Show used to be a Badger Knife Club event, and is still being run by the same person that runs the April show. It was usually in the same venue as well, but this year it has moved down the street. Ken was absent in April, I'm still holding out hope that he'll make the show in October. I do understand that he had more important matters this year, and am more hoping that all is well with him. He is a great person to talk to, and infinitely patient with kids.

Well maybe I'm not as senile as I thought. Ken will be back.

I thought a re-post of these was appropriate,as I now own both.

Farmer jack royalty. I had asked Charlie C if he would bring his Ken Erickson to GEC to allow me to examine it's beauty firsthand. You know I'm kinda interested in all farmers jacks! I grin

Upon setting up Charlie told me to place it along side it's sister for display, which I gladly did. When packing up, Charlie said he had thought about it and that knife probably belonged with it's sister in the farmers jack collection,would I like to purchase it. Would I!

I had bit my tongue all the time Charlie owned it,as I know he admires his Ken Erickson knives as much or more than any knife he owns.Luckily I had purchased a Ken rendition of a Remington jack that I could include in the deal to get the farmers jack, so I didn't feel too opportunistic.

Thanks again my friend. Here they are:

dAGJAsB.jpg

0dCtHsL.jpg

oELgNum.jpg

ksgxrJD.jpg

I noticed the white one yellowing more where I place my thumb on it to retrieve it from the folder.

My Lord!!
Royalty indeed!:eek:
And the only two like them in the entire Universe!!:eek::eek:

You are welcome Lyle. They belong together.:thumbup:

A note; Lyle gave me an Erickson Jack in partial trade, one I quite like. We are both happy campers!:)

That's truly some pair Lyle ! The rooster comb farmer jack is arguably one of the most impressive knives I've ever seen. Everything from the rat tail/lined bolsters to that chisel grind sets it apart in each and every way.

I was lucky enough to have some friends at the Rendezvous send me videos of those two in action :D

Oh and that Remington Jack tribute Charlie got is no slouch either, one of my absolute favourites :O

Beautiful knives, Lyle. I'm really happy for you that you have the matching set now. I'm constantly amazed with Ken's work, and these are two of the finest I've seen by him. It was a real treat to see them in person at GEC. I guess that right there says something about the knives. It was a treat just to see them, owning a pair like that is truly something special.

Thanks Charlie ,Tim,and Cory. I am blessed, and I often wonder at the friends I've came to know.

It was nice to see you again this year Cory, and we missed you and your lady Tim.

Well maybe I'm not as senile as I thought. Ken will be back.

Hey guys...just a quick note to let you know I just got off the phone with Ken and he sounds great.

Ken's been pretty much swamped by the responsibilities connected with settling his father's estate and as a result only just started to get back in the shop a day or two ago. (The last knife he built was the one he did for my brother, Gus.)

Anyway, Ken gave me permission to let you all know that he appreciates the concern and support and now that he can see the light at the end of the tunnel he hopes to be back in the swing of things soon.

I can't tell you how good it was to hear his voice. :cool:

Good to hear. Thanks for the update, Elliott.

You're welcome, folks. Always happy to share good news. :cool:

Phew! Thanks for getting the word out, Elliott!
Ken if you are listening, I hope you get some peace and enjoyment in the days to come!!
Charlie

Back