Kershaw/Emerson models in stock

If the action on the 0620 is anything like the 0550, I wouldn't be worried ;)

I don't mind the washers, but the wave actions specifically. From what I've picked up from the Kershaw collabs, wave action is similar to Emerson's, which I found less than adequate compared to the spydie endura Emerson.

I do love the action on the 550 though, it's very nice :)

I don't mind the washers, but the wave actions specifically. From what I've picked up from the Kershaw collabs, wave action is similar to Emerson's, which I found less than adequate compared to the spydie endura Emerson.
- I own several Emerson brand and Spyderco knives with Waves. I haven't had an issue deploying either 100%. I always pull in a slight outward motion when I use the Wave.

- I own several Emerson brand and Spyderco knives with Waves. I haven't had an issue deploying either 100%. I always pull in a slight outward motion when I use the Wave.

I can open the spyderco endura in the thinnest of board shorts, the Emerson mini commander opened one out of three times in jeans. I figured out the technique pretty well with the spydie and thin pants, this is my experience with them and it seems others have experienced the same thing...I've seen a few posts about the Endura being smoother than the Kershaw collabs.

If I attempt to use the wave feature on both knives and one performs exceptionally better when using the same exact technique, then it's safe to say one works better than the other. It's not like I am doing it wrong...if the Endura deploys 100% of the time and the Commander does not than it's obvious which functions better. It's not unwarranted to think that the 0620 may perform poorly based upon this experiment.

Furthermore I am happy that all of your knives perform how you would like them to. but my original point was sharing the fact that I would like the 0620's wave feature to perform like the Endura's does, and not like the way I've experienced deployment with an Emerson. the consensus as to which wave feature performs better or on par with each other is entirely a matter of opinion anyway so I don't see any reason to discuss this any further.

It was my mistake for discussing the wave feature in the first place, this thread is specifically for discussing the fact that the collaborations are finally in stock, or at least some of them anyway.

Eh, it is what it is. KAI doesn't have a forum here anymore, so this thread will be where all discussion ends up on the colab.

Personally, I didn't get one, but to me they better fix some of the issues or it looks like I'll have to pass.

Just received my kershaw cqc-6k. And overall it is well built. Blade centering is nice. It feels like a tank. The only issue is it's not that smooth, but I think that will work out over time.

I am incredibly impressed with my 5k. No machining issues, no grit in the pivot, not overly oiled. Mine has flicked open smoothly since I took it out of the box, and the wave feature is just a blast to use. The only nit-picking I could do would be that the edge was a little uneven (though was still very sharp). However, many of my new knives have come with uneven edges, some costing 5x as much. I will be ordering the 4k and 6k soon.

Eh, it is what it is. KAI doesn't have a forum here anymore, so this thread will be where all discussion ends up on the colab.

Personally, I didn't get one, but to me they better fix some of the issues or it looks like I'll have to pass.

Im convinced the hardware on these knives, are made out of butter.

Edit: Sarcasm guys, don't take it to heart :rolleyes: Use a soldering iron on the pocket clip screws, it will help :thumbup:

Last edited:
I took mine apart and reassembled it without any issues, leaving me to believe that the hardware is just fine. The use of proper tools and a little finesse will go a long way in preventing destroyed hardware. This is true for a knife of any cost, and a lesson that I had to learn the hard way.

Im convinced the hardware on these knives, are made out of butter.

"Im convinced the hardware on these knives, are made out of butter."

honestly, any Chinese tool I have ever had the displeasure to own never lasted long. Crappy ratchet wrenches I was given as gifts, bit drivers. Not a stretch to assume they'd cut corners wherever they could, fasteners being one of them.

Same here, I have an Endura and a Matriarch with wave openers, both work almost 100% of the time...the Kershaw/Emerson is much less dependable.

Just got my 6k today. Not bad. Now I finally can test out the wave.... Oh wait! No I can't, because the screws are too short to switch the pocket clip to the left side.
I.

Am.

Annoyed...

[video=youtube_share;f4PxZoaQ7e4]http://youtu.be/f4PxZoaQ7e4[/video]

Same here, I have an Endura and a Matriarch with wave openers, both work almost 100% of the time...the Kershaw/Emerson is much less dependable.

How can a static design feature, that relies 100% on user input, be considered less dependable?

Could be because the wave on the spyderco is like 3 times the size of the wave on an actual Emerson or the Kershaw/Emerson knives. For those having trouble with waving just practice man. It works it just needs the proper input from the user.

Could be because the wave on the spyderco is like 3 times the size of the wave on an actual Emerson or the Kershaw/Emerson knives. For those having trouble with waving just practice man. It works it just needs the proper input from the user.
- The oversized wave on the Spyderco is definitely easier to deploy, but it also takes up more real estate in the pocket.

No, offense to anyone, but do you guys not live near a hardware store? Can you not stop by and pick up the screws you need? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I know it is less than ideal, and you shouldn't have to deal with these kinds of issues. But this is a brand new model from Kershaw. They've still got some kinks to work out, and since this knife is produced abroad, that is no doubt a time consuming process. I'm not surprised the US plant wouldn't have a huge supply of the hardware used in this knife, since the knife is not assembled here. If it was just a matter of a couple screws I'd just head out to my local Ace Hardware, spend the few bucks, and pick up what I needed in high quality alloy steel.

KAI has the best CS in the business. I'd never expect Spyderco or Benchmade to send out parts free of charge. I have a Mini Grip with a broken Omega spring and I wish BM would send them out.

I practiced plenty. It's pretty plain and simple when one deploys half to three quarters of the way 2 out of 3 times and the other performs flawlessly. I don't need to practice with the Endura. It works, the commander didn't. I am not the only one that has experienced this. What do you want me to practice? Tearing apart my jeans? I've mastered the technique as it isn't easy to deploy wearing sweats or bored shorts, the mini commander just plain didn't work like it should, and others have experienced the same with the collabs. No amount of practice is going to change that.

Back