Kershaw starting Sprint Runs!

while some of these new designs and offerings are wonderful - I think we need to list the 'hall of kershaw shame' (which means 3cr13 & 4cr13 steel knives) imho - avoid them

diode
rhetoric
lifter
manifold
dune
misdirect
starter
grinder
cathode
camshaft
valve
airlock
portal
spoke

wow, that is a LOT of models to be avoided, it makes me sad to say but kershaw seems intent on competing with mtech :( it's just sad imho

I mean, they cut...so the hall of shame might not accept their credentials...

Absolutely! I've been to a lot of places, but never found anything better. Beautiful land, great weather, awesome people. :)

I resemble that remark.

I'm two hours up I-5 from there... I should go kick their door open and see if they have one left... maybe fell behind a file cabinet or such.

I resemble that remark.

I'm two hours up I-5 from there... I should go kick their door open and see if they have one left... maybe fell behind a file cabinet or such.

They posted that there was some left
On Instagram not too long ago. They sold out again already?

I was surprised mine shipped yesterday (Monday) with ETA of Friday. Those closer to Kai may start seeing them tomorrow??

... Kershaw does make some awesome knives and I do love my Kershaw Leek, Tilt, Offset, Blur and few vintage collectibles I have. I am just not a fan of sacrificing quality and Made in USA brand for the Made in China with god knows what steel. I've had some issues on several of my Kershaws and what I've been also hearing from the veteran EDC'ers Kershaw is no longer the company (with its brand loyalty) it was. ...

I've been carrying Kershaw knives on and off since the very late 90s. I haven't noticed any big decline. They still stand behind their products. Just like around the turn of the century, I can call them and get a real person on the phone. They'll still send me replacement parts like clips or torsion bars for free. As far as steel, I actually remember being excited about their use of 8Cr13Mov back in the day. (I had some Kershaws in AUS-6 and it seemed like a step up.) The problem today is that Kershaw just seems behind the times. They're still using 8Cr13Mov in Chinese-made knives at prices where China-direct manufacturers are using steels like Chinese D2, 14C28N, or Acuto 440.

The 3Cr and 4Cr stuff is just deplorable. The China-direct price analog for those is 8Cr13Mov now. Heck, even a lot of the similarly priced knock-offs and counterfeits coming out of China now seem to be running at least 5Cr. :oops:

I like this idea, but I think it would be hard to switch designs from Chinese manufacturer to US just for 500-1000 units, though I could be wrong. That said, something like the Deadline upgraded to D2 and with some fancy scales would pique my interest, as would a return of the Skyline, maybe with 20CV.

Following from the above, I'm all set on Chinese D2. The market is flooded with it. It's routinely available for the same price as their current 8Cr13Mov models. If Kershaw wants to "upgrade" existing knives, I'd like to see something different. That's doubly true for sprint runs.

They posted that there was some left
On Instagram not too long ago. They sold out again already?

I gots no InstaFaceSnap-O-Gram, I just check their website. They list it as out of stock.

That's okay though... I got the Leek in carbon fiber with CPM-154, and it's amazing enough for me.

Managed to grab one from the smaller second wave today! Pretty excited, I haven't had a Leek since I first got into knives 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people accept 3cr13 steel - I guess we also have many secret fans of mtech, gerber & schrade which specialize in this steel :)

Personally, It's a hard pass for me every time

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people accept 3cr13 steel - I guess we also have many secret fans of mtech, gerber & schrade which specialize in this steel :)

Look, it's ok if you cant sharpen the steel. But that doesn't mean the steel is useless. If you can get a good quality kershaw for 15 bucks, solid! Those cheap Kershaws have probably helped tons of people get into knives.

even you agree 3cr13 is the bottom of the barrel :)
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-to-knives-looking-for-help.1714372/page-2#post-19579391

I agree it's easy to sharpen... and it loses its edge rather quickly
The price difference from a 3cr13 kershaw @ $15 to a 8cr13 kershaw is NOT worth the $3 savings... this 8cr13 kershaw is only $18

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS...int-blade-stonewashed-stainless-steel-handles

I rest my case (but of course, everyone is free to downgrade if they want to)

even you agree 3cr13 is the bottom of the barrel :)
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-to-knives-looking-for-help.1714372/page-2#post-19579391

I agree it's easy to sharpen... and it loses its edge rather quickly
The price difference from a 3cr13 kershaw @ $15 to a 8cr13 kershaw is NOT worth the $3 savings... this 8cr13 kershaw is only $18

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS...int-blade-stonewashed-stainless-steel-handles

I rest my case (but of course, everyone is free to downgrade if they want to)
Yes but a random dude walking into Walmart and buying one of those cheap knives isnt going to go on knifecenter to find one. You never know what those cheap knives can do. Especially the Christmas packs where you get 3 or so.

That's an interesting strawman to throw out given that one of the explicit reasons I, and others, have given for being fine with Ksrshaw using 3cr13 and similar steels is to give people a very inexpensive option that's still made by a reputable company with a solid warranty.

To be frank, you seem to have an irrational obsession with steels that you, personally, don't like. I would advise you to avoid buying them and stop letting them take up so much of your mental space. The way the knife industry stands right now there are thousands upon thousands of models to chooose from using hundreds and hundreds of different steels. Obsessing over a company making some models that you, personally, don't approve of seems counterproductive at best.

I'm old fashioned, and like the thought of saying 'anything by company x is good stuff'... which I can't do any longer if I'm being honest. I don't obsess over it lol

440a would be miles better than 3cr13... so yeah, if the only goal is new user / low cost entry to the knife world... I kinda see your point

I'd still personally try to guide them to the $18 - 8cr13 so they have a better overall experience... or better yet, I'd gift them that 8cr13 model after they've suffered with 3cr13 for a few months, just so they get their sharpening skills worked out lol

The way the knife industry stands right now there are thousands upon thousands of models to chooose from using hundreds and hundreds of different steels.
Are there “hundreds and hundreds” of different steels?
I counted about 40ish. Do you have a list I can see?

Are there “hundreds and hundreds” of different steels?
I counted about 40ish. Do you have a list I can see?
I recommend zknives as they're probably the most comprehensive. It's easy to think there are only 40 or so when you're first getting into knives, but there are a plethora of different steel options out there. Heck, our very own Larrin tested the edge retention of 48 steels very recently.

Back