Knife abuse by friends and family members

Or this, if you want to open the can cleaner, safer and a lot quicker:

aEaOpWtl.jpg

Meh. In a better time (before pop-top cans for anything other than beverages), I eschewed the use of that barbaric device and its sinister electric-powered cousins. I opened several cans per week with an SAK can opener and I liked it!

Meh. In a better time (before pop-top cans for anything other than beverages), I eschewed the use of that barbaric device and its sinister electric-powered cousins. I opened several cans per week with an SAK can opener and I liked it!
Sounds like a positively orgasmic experience.

Since we are on the topic of abused knifes.....

What kind of kitchen knifes (brands or steels) would be recommended for theses non-knife folks?

The type to toss them in the metal sink, stack them with the dirty dishes, the dishwasher... 😯

What kind of kitchen knifes (brands or steels) would be recommended for theses non-knife folks?

The type to toss them in the metal sink, stack them with the dirty dishes, the dishwasher... 😯
The stuff you find at Target, Kohl's etc.

It's harder with kitchen knives, when you have parties and people are trying to help clean up. You look like a dick hovering over every utensil at Thanksgiving.
Good points all K.O.D. K.O.D.

So, another solution for me to help bring the temperature down of myself and friends/family.

I bet everyone here has some crappy knives that are left over from some reason or another that live in your drawers. I do all the meal prep, cutting/slicing and presentation with my preferred cutlery.

A trip to the restaurant supply store, or even Sam's, and they have professional-grade knives that are made to be used and abused. I say professional from the standpoint of the knot heads that will be using them and the fact that they will be thrown in a bussers tub and then loaded into a dishwasher. It is professional, because they are paid to do it for a living.

Those black/red/white handled Russell knives that they sell have been the silent warriors of the food industry for decades. I have a set of those that show up at family dinners and F/F BBQs. I literally take my knife block to the garage if we have more than a few people over.

So far, so good. And no matter what they do to them, I can fix it in my 1" belt sander.

Robert

I'm no Guy Fieri, but I'd imagine that for $48 a Victorinox Fibrox Pro would fit the bill:
ANPaUyv.jpg

Also, if I'm out and about and someone asks to use a knife, I'll volunteer to do it for them. If what they're trying to do is something a knife shouldn't really be used for, I have a Gerber prybar/bottle opener on my keychain.

yeah, little keychain prybars are wonderful inventions, every knife person should have one :)

this guy is $15, titanium, and excellent imho (at kc)
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Vvcy9pbWFnZXMvRU9TU0hLUkFXLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogMjcwLCJoZWlnaHQiOiAyNzAsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

Years ago, my son took what was my favorite 1950's Case xx slicing knife and used it to push waste down the garbage disposal. Now it has a screwdriver end to it.
Not exactly an expensive knife, but decent steel and holds an edge well, except for the tip. Guess I should grind and reshape the end, but I like showing it to him, so....

Your individual idea of "disposable" depends on your income or access to rescources, for some a knife is disposable, for others a car is disposable, to a wealthy man it might be a...well, I dunno Im not wealthy....
Whether something is disposable is determined by the individual perspective. I enjoy using everything to its maximum potential and it is a matter of pride for me to get the most out of everything. It doesn't matter what I have paid for the thing, or whether I have access to a warehouse full of "better" products, I will keep going with the tried and true until further use is all but impossible..

n2s

While we are living in a time with an adult generation that need warning labels with pictures showing them to not eat tide pods and other stupid stuff it doesn’t surprise me that knives are abused on a regular basis.

When I was a kid growing up on the farm and ranch my dad would teach me the proper way to do things and if I didn’t heed his warning I would get scolded and any further infractions would earn a good butt whipping. Otherwise I received a cut, knot on the head or injury as the award. I’m glad I survived my youth. 😆

This is why I try and carry a SAK most of the time. Nothing worse than someone asking to borrow your blade and next thing you know they are using it to scrape the remnants of their canned soup out of the can edge first..... much better to hand them something that most people are familiar with and something that can be touched up with a few seconds on a ceramic rod rather than 20CV

Dexter Russel SaniSafe knives. Restaurant quality dishwasher safe. Pretty much indestructible.

While we are living in a time with an adult generation that need warning labels with pictures showing them to not eat tide pods and other stupid stuff it doesn’t surprise me that knives are abused on a regular basis.

When I was a kid growing up on the farm and ranch my dad would teach me the proper way to do things and if I didn’t heed his warning I would get scolded and any further infractions would earn a good butt whipping. Otherwise I received a cut, knot on the head or injury as the award. I’m glad I survived my youth. 😆

Why wouldn't we eat tide pods, they are colorful

I have the same exact background, blue collar and outdoors until I went in the trades. But my Dad and Grandad had a pretty different view of knife use than I do.

My grandfather and his cronies loved a good knife, but to them they were completely utility in value (setting aside his favorite hunting knife... sometimes...). Grandad used his yellow handled folding knife (Case, Kabar, etc.) to scrape, pry, strip wire, cut wire, turn wood screws with the spine, cut super thick deep sea fishing line, cut his "chaw", jam it into the metal top of the old fashioned oil cans and just generally anything he felt like using it to do.

He was particularly pleased with one of his knives; he snapped the blade point off of a heavy stockman secondary blade. This left a lot of blade, so he had the local fix-it repair shop guy grind it into a flat screwdriver head. He loved that knife all the more since it was even more useful.

He loved his knives to be sure, but as a kid I had no idea that he was a one man "test to failure" lab. He did pass on the idea though that without a knife in your pocket you might not make it through the day!

Robert

Last edited:
Back