Knives for employees

So in my business, I need/want everyone to have a knife handy. Like any other tool of the trade, it is something they should have available.

Currently, I am giving out Kershaw Oso Sweets. That is about the right size and price, but a couple of the girls have expressed concern over assisted opening.

What other decent, one hand open closed knives in that size range and price rage can someone suggest? Try to keep it at or under $25, a onehand opener, similar size to Oso, Non-assisted, easily sharpened,durable and well built, and reasonable edge retention for basic tasks like rope, boxes, etc. Stainless is important.

Lighter weight like the Oso is good too. they are mostly in scrubs all day, so heavy stuff starts making butt cracks show.

Thanks for the help.

PS knives to stay away from are just as important.

The Esee is the best for our use between cost being too high for the Rat and the wave and thumb disk on the Emerson. I thought Esee was a lot higher than that.

Spyderco Ladybug might be a hit with the ladies. Might not met all your criteria but it's light weight, sharp as a razor, could be opened with one hand, and good quality. I think they are a few bucks more than your budget though.

Box cutters? dirt cheap and work, no need to sharpen them. That would be my suggestion.

If you want them to have a folding knife thats $25 I would go with a ganzo, they rule and are super high value.
Another great option is the BYRD line of knives bunch of stuff for under $25. Their new Orange Rescue knife is light, looks cool and fully serrated so they wont need to sharpen it very often. Dull serrations cuts way better then dull straight edges.

We have box cutters but in scrubs, they are too heavy and the blades are not long enough for some of the daily uses here.

I will keep looking at these suggestions. Some I had not thought about. I have to buy 7 of whatever it is.

For a work knife, something like the Cold Steel Tuff Lite or Mini Tuff Lite may be ideal. It looks like a box cutter, has a safe lock, stainless, and cuts very well.

Last edited:
I should have said no serrations. I will sharpen them as needed.
The rat is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I will reconsider. The weight on some of these is just too much. Scrubs don't hold weight well. 3 to 4 oz is about the max weight. I had not even considered spyderco. I thought they would be out of budget, but I can stretch to $35. Hopefully no more.
The Skyline was my first thought. I had one of those I bought for $19. They have gotten a lot more expensive recently.

Found a Rat 2 in pink handle and aus8. it shows 1/2 the weight and $12 less than all the D2 models. Is there a reason on the weight, or is that a mismark?

The guys may not love the pink, but I bet it keeps them from taking them home and losing it! LOL

Could take a look at the Buck small Vantage Select. Can find them for less than 20 each at about 2.3oz

How about the Kershaw Shuffle (lots of colors and finishes, light weight) or the Buck Apex for similar reasons?

Kershaw shuffle. A little shorter, but should cut everything you listed just fine. Comes in several colors.

O.B..

Just for disambiguation what kind of business are you in that has folks in scrubs needing blades bigger than box cutters to cut stuff?

Vet clinic. We all do it all. Mostly small animal, but some large(usually horses). I have had to cut leads off down horses in trailers, on down the line. It is not just the vet work, but all the work around the clinic in a small business. Yard work we deal with. "Basement chores' like replacing or fixing washers and dryers etc. We are jacks of all trades here, or Jills of all trades too. Putting new hose ends on the hoses. You name it

Buck kingsman. I picked one of those up for 9$ cad. Its only 420j2 but for 9$ its pretty gopd

1JH2Zs0.jpg

Back