Knives for employees

What about the Dustar Cutter Jack? It is M2 steel which, unfortunately, isn't a stainless blade.
That being said, it will hold an edge over most other knives in this category.
dustar-knives-cutter-jack-utility-dus09.jpg

Two open positions, and locking by turning the knob, one hand opening.
------
If this isn't a viable option, I would suggest one of the Gerber or other brands folding utility knives that use replaceable "razor" blades.
Folks take the blade shape as a tool for work, they are relatively small and light, the replaceable blades make for easy maintenance, and can be swapped in the blink of an eye. Just buy a pack of 100 or more and be set for a week or more...

If you want a knife that is more "knife-like" the stated Tuff or Mini Tuff would make for a good choice, available in straight or serrated edge.

Buck Bantam, model 285
Theres a site that shall go unnamed, where you can get them for $15 delivered.

3" blade, and only 2.4oz, with a strong backlock that they won't have to worry about. It's also USA made, and uses bucks excellent Bos HT 420HC. I feel like it's tailor made for exactly your criteria.
I prefer the looks of the bucklite max series, but for all intents and purposes they're the same knife with the same price and both fit this criteria perfectly.

Byrd Meadowlark. It is inexpensive, lightweight, and designed to cut very well. Also comfortable in hand.

I would suggest the Ganzo version (
Firebird F759M-BK ). Its less than half the price.

I have a Meadowlark 2 and its the lightest knife I own. If these were available a few years ago I would have gotten one of these instead. Probably made by the same factory as the Byrds.

I don't know about a modern Spyderco being made in a Ganzo plant... That just sounds a it far fetched, especially since (iirc) Spyderco has spoken out against having those lower end brands making knives for them since the one mishap that they had with knives being copied...

All good 8deas, and the point about leading to culture, lmao. Yeah. Point taken. The only one that carries besides my daughter when she helps is a farm kid.

As to the point of needing one, they do. They don't get by. They borrow one, break a set of scissors, or just leave it undone with the "I didn't have a knife" excuse. I try to provide other things like this when I can since I can't pay huge salaries. Uniforms, tools of the trade, a bonus here and there, health insurance, and 401k are efforts to try to compensate for moderate pay and keep happy employees.

On second thought, have you researched all the possible downsides of giving your employees bladed instruments instead of safety cutters? OSHA Reportables are never fun...
That is sort of the rub. If the employer buys or provides regular knives to employees, I think they become responsible for everything. They have no "out" if an OSHA inspector sees the employee knives or something happens and a unhappy employee reports you (as almost always, to hurt you).

My choice was SOG Flash series knives such as can be bought at Lowe's. It is where I decided that I didn't like or want any Flash series folders due to the inconsistency in quality from knife to knife. I'm almost glad that all of those knives just "disappeared".

One thing you could do is make the knife a "safety award". Maybe they'll use them on the job, maybe not.

My suggestion is if you want to provide knives, I'd do a utility type knife with a clip. The problem is.... I don't have a knife with me..... give me another... then another.... and another.... You would be amazed at how many utility knives I keep in my one work vehicle for worker abuse. They need one... they ask or grab one. They use it, and then they put it back.

Last edited:
In most cases, workers will not share the cost of anything they think you will or should provide for their use. Let them buy and carry their own knives. Cell phones are another one.... I provide a few. But mostly they have their own and cell phones are almost a universal thing now. I view knives as universal too as I use them all the time. But I will not provide real knives to workers.

For Osha considerations - keep them at work as work property to be loaned out during their shift if that helps.

Byrd Meadowlark 2 combo edge hands down! The choil allows a full grip for bigger hands but carries so light.

If you don't mind the forum backlash, the Ganzo 759 is a Meadowlark clone (yes it is closer to a Meadowlark than a Delica) that comes in colors. You could get like 2 of each color to quickly identify them if they get lost. Also, they're only like $10.

If your set on providing knive, the Cold Steel Tuff Lite might be a consideration. Cheap enough to buy a number and not loose a lot of sleep when they damage, loose, or leave them at home and want another.

I would look at the kershaw Injection the smaller model 3.0. It weighs 3.3oz. And is a nice little knife. They go for under $15 shipped on the big auction site. If you couple one with a pair of EMT shears you could have a nice set of tools for around $20 !

I will 2nd the ESEE Zancudo if you can stretch it a bit, Kabar Dozier, or one of the U.S. made Bucks (Bantam/Spitfire/Vantage)

i would first find out what kind of blade profile you need for those tasks that you need it for.

or get 3 random blades and test them before choosing one for everyone.

but above all, just buy something and let them buy something better if they want something better.

So in my business, I need/want everyone to have a knife handy. Like any other tool of the trade, it is something they should have available.

Currently, I am giving out Kershaw Oso Sweets. That is about the right size and price, but a couple of the girls have expressed concern over assisted opening.

What other decent, one hand open closed knives in that size range and price rage can someone suggest? Try to keep it at or under $25, a onehand opener, similar size to Oso, Non-assisted, easily sharpened,durable and well built, and reasonable edge retention for basic tasks like rope, boxes, etc. Stainless is important.

Lighter weight like the Oso is good too. they are mostly in scrubs all day, so heavy stuff starts making butt cracks show.

Thanks for the help.

PS knives to stay away from are just as important.

Just curious about why they have an issue with assisted opening-legal, practical?

LM Crater (2.6" blade). I only have the multitool version (which I LOVE!!!), but the stand alone knife is less expensive, very lightweight (2.36 oz), and they can even use the caribiner too attach it if they want. You should be able to find them for under $20 each.
26-c33.png

The assisted open issue is that they keep trying to open them like an old slip joint and are afraid they are going to get cut. They don't like the spring, but that one is not bad. My old blackout was strong enough it almost jumped out of your hand if you did not have a decent grip on it. These oso sweets are about right to me.

A couple different suggestions:
Milwaukee power tools sells a couple different bright red locking OHO folding knives with wire pocket clips. Available at the big orange home improvement store. Coast also makes a variety of liner lock knives with plastic scales and pocket clips. Available as above, but I found them at an online clothing and outdoor gear closeout vendor for $4 each. I bought them as gifts, but kept one for myself. Surprisingly OK. Most are 7CR17, but some are better. The website lists the steel. That's unusual at the price.

Back