Kumar Kami is Back!

Oh man, Sher and Kumar back in the fold?! It's going to be a great year! I need to save my pennies, I have a feeling this shark is going to be getting some new toys!

definately looks like you got it down :) and I know you got the talent with the wood. But how are you with hot steel? Wow, every time you post a photo with that wall in the background it gives me a chance to be nosy. I recognize almost all of the tupperware over your left shoulder, except the very flat grey box. Call me curious, but I wanna know. What fun toy comes in that box....

Actually that's a knife set. There's 4 or 5 of those folder knives with animal scenes on the handles. Nice to look at but not super high quality. I'm good with curious, no problem here.

Kumar Kami (...) Sher the (Tiger) is Kumar's oldest brother. Now Sher return to Birgorkha and he will make the outstanding Knife and Sword.

Excellent news!

Looking forward to see what will come out of these new skilled hands at the shop.

old hands snow ! sher was the full sun/ half sun kami mark in the earliest days of HI, was one of the first.

Cool picture! Thank you for sharing

Lots of years between these photos! Good to have these 2 back!

5-27-14007_zps5b784ec0.jpg

kumarWith30InchKobra.jpg
SherBahadurKami.jpg

They are called balance knives because the balance point is in the very center, and the knife will balance/sit level on a tree branch, etc.

Sorry I missed this DOTD from 3 weeks back! Nice snag Dave! :thumbup:

Phil is correct, but the very nice knife that started this thread is much more like an M43 than a Balance. Of course names change all the time, but that is like a sleek M43 to me. I still have a pair of Vim M-43's, but this one by Kumar with Fish scabbard is as nice a Kumar knife as I've ever seen. Right in the same size range as well, as a pair of his older M-43's were 17" and 26-27 oz. which makes for a great handling blade. The slight extra weight here probably comes from a beefier tang I'm sure.

Here's a pic of a couple of Kumar's older M-43's. A bit yellow, but you get the idea:

#17-inch 27 oz. Antler and 17-inch 26 oz. Hill Walnut M-43's by Kumar.jpg

FYI, here's an overview of some Balances from 3 years ago, and you can see the distinct blade shape which gives it its name (and balance). Note the cow's hoof kauri / cho style as well as the Sword of Shiva:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-of-Balances-A-Few-Pictures?highlight=balance

P.S. Dave pointed out to me privately that it really has more of a WWII belly to it than an M-43 (not to mention the handle differences) and he's right. In any case it's one I wish I would have snagged as it has perfect lines.

Last edited:
Back