Kumar Kami is Back!

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yangdu, May 23, 2014.

1. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I want to be a Tiger too!

[​IMG]

2. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Oh man, Sher and Kumar back in the fold?! It's going to be a great year! I need to save my pennies, I have a feeling this shark is going to be getting some new toys!

3. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014
    definately looks like you got it down :) and I know you got the talent with the wood. But how are you with hot steel? Wow, every time you post a photo with that wall in the background it gives me a chance to be nosy. I recognize almost all of the tupperware over your left shoulder, except the very flat grey box. Call me curious, but I wanna know. What fun toy comes in that box....

4. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Actually that's a knife set. There's 4 or 5 of those folder knives with animal scenes on the handles. Nice to look at but not super high quality. I'm good with curious, no problem here.

5. snowwolf

snowwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Excellent news!

Looking forward to see what will come out of these new skilled hands at the shop.

6. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    old hands snow ! sher was the full sun/ half sun kami mark in the earliest days of HI, was one of the first.

7. petros600

petros600

Jan 27, 2014
    Need to start saving some $$$ for those swords

8. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Wow, Kumar and Tiger are back. Awesome news.

9. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Cool picture! Thank you for sharing

10. philllll

philllll

May 23, 2013
    Lots of years between these photos! Good to have these 2 back!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. snowwolf

snowwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    I stand corrected. Maybe I should of said more skilled hands :)

12. Svashtar

Svashtar Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Sorry I missed this DOTD from 3 weeks back! Nice snag Dave! :thumbup:

Phil is correct, but the very nice knife that started this thread is much more like an M43 than a Balance. Of course names change all the time, but that is like a sleek M43 to me. I still have a pair of Vim M-43's, but this one by Kumar with Fish scabbard is as nice a Kumar knife as I've ever seen. Right in the same size range as well, as a pair of his older M-43's were 17" and 26-27 oz. which makes for a great handling blade. The slight extra weight here probably comes from a beefier tang I'm sure.

Here's a pic of a couple of Kumar's older M-43's. A bit yellow, but you get the idea:

#17-inch 27 oz. Antler and 17-inch 26 oz. Hill Walnut M-43's by Kumar.jpg

FYI, here's an overview of some Balances from 3 years ago, and you can see the distinct blade shape which gives it its name (and balance). Note the cow's hoof kauri / cho style as well as the Sword of Shiva:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-of-Balances-A-Few-Pictures?highlight=balance

P.S. Dave pointed out to me privately that it really has more of a WWII belly to it than an M-43 (not to mention the handle differences) and he's right. In any case it's one I wish I would have snagged as it has perfect lines.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014