KW Exclusive Military CF/Ti S90V + CQI Improvements

The sprint/ exclusive Military's are my EDC rotation. I have all of them except:
S30V CF
CPM D2 Foliage Green G10 ( had one but the lock bar was cracked and Spyderco gave me a credit)

I will be passing on this for now as I have 2 other S90V Military's ( CF sprint & Blue G10 Exclusive) and the price point just kills it for me.

The sprint/ exclusive Military's are my EDC rotation. I have all of them except:
S30V CF
CPM D2 Foliage Green G10 ( had one but the lock bar was cracked and Spyderco gave me a credit)

I will be passing on this for now as I have 2 other S90V Military's ( CF sprint & Blue G10 Exclusive) and the price point just kills it for me.

sell the other two and buy this one.

In the meantime, BHQ sent me an email to remind me that they have the Military in stock. Both the M4 and the S110V versions are apparently well available. If I were to bet, I'd bet that this one will sell out faster than the others but be forewarned that I'm an atrocious betting man ;)

Pics are up! Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough!

c36cftip.6.jpg

c36cftip.5.jpg

c36cftip.1.jpg

c36cftip.2.jpg

c36cftip.7.jpg

c36cftip.8.jpg

^^^ these just nudged me to become an early Best Coast ( :D ) riser mañana!

I'm so happy with the weight on this one! It's a lot lighter than anticipated, according to the posted weight. Can't wait to have one in-hand.

those pics look great! why no steel lock bar insert though? I thought the ti millies had em.....o_O Been a while since I looked into the ti versions so I guess I was imagining this.

those pics look great! why no steel lock bar insert though? I thought the ti millies had em.....o_O Been a while since I looked into the ti versions so I guess I was imagining this.
sure looks like it has the steel lock insert?

lol ^^^ 2011BLDR 2011BLDR : Consider that this will be the first CQI enhanced Ti sprint :)
I didn't want to bring it up.. but their is something in the S90V CF sprint steel that is just not right. It exhibits a tendency to not want to take a good edge and looses what it has vary quickly. In comparing the Manix 2 CF sprint and the BBS Blue G10 that are also S90V, it is like it is not the same steel at all. I went as far as sending it back to spyderco for inspection and a resharpen, it helped but it is still just not quite right, making me hesitant on S90V. I tend to grab any of the other stainless sprints ( BG42, M390, XHP, CTS204P or the Blue G10 S90V) before that one, it just sits as a place holder.

The Ti frame lock , S90V and the price point just don't make it something I am interested in

I didn't want to bring it up.. but their is something in the S90V CF sprint steel that is just not right. It exhibits a tendency to not want to take a good edge and looses what it has vary quickly. In comparing the Manix 2 CF sprint and the BBS Blue G10 that are also S90V, it is like it is not the same steel at all. I went as far as sending it back to spyderco for inspection and a resharpen, it helped but it is still just not quite right, making me hesitant on S90V. I tend to grab any of the other stainless sprints ( BG42, M390, XHP, CTS204P or the Blue G10 S90V) before that one, it just sits as a place holder.

The Ti frame lock , S90V and the price point just don't make it something I am interested in

I have had the complete opposite experience as you, when it comes to s90v. You ever get that knife that just sharpens up so nice and sharp, so easily? And holds an edge for what seems like forever? You know? The one that blows you away? Everybody has that knife! For me, it was the s90v Manix xl sprint. At the time, it just blew everything I had out of the water when it came to edge retention. THAT, is what has me anxiously awaiting the release of this knife in the morning! Up until Maxamet, s90v was my favorite steel to have in my folders. Maybe different heat treats was the culprit in your experience?

It'll take a year or so. I'm basing that on the 1,200 pieces run and $279.95 price. Additionally, the KW-exclusive Military CTS-204P with Green G-10 (also 1,200 pieces run) which started selling in May 2016 for $199.95 is still available at KnifeWorks.
Aye, even the M4 Millie in jade is still available over at bladehq. Anytime you hear people talk about the PM2 version, it's a whole different ball game. Heck, you can still get brand new 52100 millies without using any google-fu.

I really assumed the Millie's were harder to get originally.

Well i am in for two. i have been saving my edged tool funds for this one for a while!

I would like to think that CQI has been extended to the HT process. Perhaps today's S90V is different than yesterday's...

Wow, the KW description says the weight is 4.7 ounces. That's lighter than I expected. I wonder if the carbon fiber scale has a steel liner.

Excellent weight for a larger folder such as a Military with one Ti slab :thumbsup:

My Millie CPS-204P weighs at 4.2 oz on my digital scales and my newly received Wilson Combat Umnamzaan (Star-Tac) at 4.8, despite being stated at 5.0 ounces on the website. I was truly hoping that the Millie CF/Ti would not be much over 5.0 if any at all!

I would like to think that CQI has been extended to the HT process. Perhaps today's S90V is different than yesterday's...

Perhaps he got a bad blade. It happens. No one has ever reported that experience with any of the Spyderco S90V blades.

Back