Lanyard using Paracord with Diamond Knots and whipping thread

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Here is my first attempt. I used waxed cotton thread to do the whipping. Will use some nano cord next time.

ou8SezDl.jpg

I've named this style a Bobtail fob, being short but useful, on this small Dragonfly a longer lanyard would be out of place, so this works great to add a little bit of length to the handle as well as providing a means of retrieving the knife out of the pocket too;

DragonFly2.jpg~original

DragonFly2_closed.jpg~original

G2
I have a modded dragonfly coming for the kids bday. I need to figure out this bob tail, that looks amazing!

Thanks, here's a couple of videos about the diamond knot that may help

and this shows the whipping knot that helps to keep the lanyard under control

G2

Last edited:
What size paracord do you recommend? I have a handful of 5th pocket blades that could use this style lanyard. Some of them, like the maileah, have a pretty small space to pass the paracord. This could be fun. My passion so far has been disassembly, rebuilds, modding and blade swapping, and matching small and large for co-carry. This could open a whole new avenue for personalizing and styling.

Really depends on what the diameter is you are working with, on very small items I use 325 paracord like this Real Steel Stella has a very small area to use any paracord in;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and this mite size flashlight, actually use it every night when I head to our bed room when all the lights are out, 2.5 lumen can still light up the room to move through pretty easy and fits in my watch pocket so I always have a small light

For my regular lanyards, I try to use 700 lb paracord that's the thickest that I would recommend but it works great

One trick that I would pass on is to pull out a few inches of the inner strands on one end and cut them off and then slice the empty sleeve at a 45 degree angle and use that end that is now thinner than the rest of the paracord to put through the hole first and then I sometimes resort to pliers to pull the full size paracord through the hole.

G2

Well, might as well hit you up on the beads too. I know those can get expensive. Do you recommend a place ?

Thanks, most all my paracord was from amazon just look for the ones with the highest reviews to avoid getting cheap stuff
G2

Edited to add beads from there to but some guys are finding nice ones on etsy

Thanks, here's a couple of videos about the diamond knot that may help

and this shows the whipping knot that helps to keep the lanyard under control

G2
Wow, those vids are amazing, thanks for the lessons. For the whip, is that 1 mm wax polyester or leather?

Caution about bundles of various colours, I would worry if they were really good or not.

paracord
G2

Last edited:
Caution about bundles of various colours, I would worry if they were really good or not.

paracord link

G2
That paracord link went to a knife sale. I was just looking at paracord olanet on amazon, they have the 550 variety packs for about 20 bucks. Is this to small diameter for the limes of the dragonfly, baby banter, bestech engine and such?

That paracord link went to a knife sale. I was just looking at paracord olanet on amazon, they have the 550 variety packs for about 20 bucks. Is this to small diameter for the limes of the dragonfly, baby banter, bestech engine and such?
Here is an example
PARACORD PLANET 550lb Type III Paracord Combo Crafting Kits with Buckles https://a.co/d/bAAcaPN

That was strange, corrected the hyper link now I think, I've gotten a lot of paracord from this company
G2

That link of yours seems inexpensive enough to give it a try
my link now seems to take us to the right spot ;)
G2

Back