Leatherman Charge TTi vs. SwissTool Spirit vs. Swisstool CS Plus

I have these tools and without question I vote for the Spirit. IMHO, far superior to the Charge. The Spirit seems to rank well for most folks. Go over to the multi-tool forum here at bladeforums....there is plenty of info on the Spirit there.

Good luck.

:)

Definitely the Spirit. It's the best multitool I've ever used, by quite a large margin. Far superior to any of Leatherman's offerings, in my opinion. The craftsmanship of the Spirit is simply astounding, and the design is very, very good. All of the tools are smooth as butter. The pliers have given me no problems. I actually like having that small serrated blade, to supplement my larger plain edged folder. The Spirit is extremely rust resistant, unlike the many Leatherman's and Gerber's I've owned. The saw totally rocks. There is always a screwdriver sized correctly for the job at hand. The Spirit is an easier carry than the hordes of large and heavy multitools out there. The file isn't diamond coated, but does what I need of it. The scissors are a tad small, but big enough for most the jobs I need it for. The grip is very comfortable. The locking system is easy to use.

I searched over ten years for that perfect multitool. I finally found the Spirit, and haven't looked back.

I've read enough of Buzzbaits postings to know that he knows knives and tools. I'm glad to see his opinion is the same as mine on the Spirit. It is the ultimate tool, IMHO --- and in reality.

Definitely the Spirit. It's the best multitool I've ever used, by quite a large margin. Far superior to any of Leatherman's offerings, in my opinion. The craftsmanship of the Spirit is simply astounding, and the design is very, very good. All of the tools are smooth as butter. The pliers have given me no problems. I actually like having that small serrated blade, to supplement my larger plain edged folder. The Spirit is extremely rust resistant, unlike the many Leatherman's and Gerber's I've owned. The saw totally rocks. There is always a screwdriver sized correctly for the job at hand. The Spirit is an easier carry than the hordes of large and heavy multitools out there. The file isn't diamond coated, but does what I need of it. The scissors are a tad small, but big enough for most the jobs I need it for. The grip is very comfortable. The locking system is easy to use.

I searched over ten years for that perfect multitool. I finally found the Spirit, and haven't looked back.

The Charge-Ti has a serrated blade and a saw. It also has the file and it is titanium cased making it impervious to the elements.

The screw driver is sized right, but fret not because it has a multi attachmen system for multiple heads to be added to it, so you can actually change the screw driver. It also has a pocket clip so you can clip it to your pands pocket like a folder instead of your pouch. That little feature alone is worth it. I carry it every day and use it nearly every day.

Although I have not used or carried the spirit, I see no advantage to it over what I just mentioned and unless it has those same features I would say that the Charge Ti has it. Oh, the Chrge Ti has an 154CM blade if I am not mistaken a vast improvement over the typical cheaper steel most multitools use.

check this out and possibly rethink.

http://www.equipped.com/lm_charge-wave.htm

Cobalt is correct about the better steel in the blade on the Charge. The lock, however, is not nearly as well done on the Charge, IMO -- and I'm not an anti-liner lock guy.

154 CM is better than the steel in the Spirit ... but the Spirit is a master piece!

Cobalt is correct about the better steel in the blade on the Charge. The lock, however, is not nearly as well done on the Charge, IMO -- and I'm not an anti-liner lock guy.

154 CM is better than the steel in the Spirit ... but the Spirit is a master piece!

The other advantage to the charge is the grippy surface, makes it better than it's cheaper brother the wave and makes it better than most anything else. Most other tools are smooth. Is the spirit smooth or grippy?. I have never had the charge lock fail so to me that is a moot point.

Too many little features that make me favor the charge. But I will admit I do not nor have I ever had a spirit. I doubt it will replace my charge which has many more features, but it may be a good backup. I might have to pick one up

I have a charge TTi and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't share some people's concern about the lock--at least mine seems pretty solid. I don't know much about the spirit, but for whatever your needs may be, I am fairly confident that the charge will more than suffice.

Although I have not used or carried the spirit, I see no advantage to it over what I just mentioned and unless it has those same features I would say that the Charge Ti has it. Oh, the Chrge Ti has an 154CM blade if I am not mistaken a vast improvement over the typical cheaper steel most multitools use.

Different strokes or different folks. I far prefer the smaller size and weight of the Spirit. The Charge, even the titanium version, is too heavy and bulky for me to wear EDC, especially clipped to my pants. 154CM has better edge holding, but I'll bet money that the Victorinox blade's grade of stainless has better rust resistance as well as less likelihood of chipping. It's great steel for those "non-knife" uses.

Yes, the titanium case of the Charge will be almost impervious to the elements, but it's the steel tools of Leathermans that always end up rusting on me.

I'm not so hot on the Leatherman Charge bit driver. Bits are things that get lost. And since the bits are proprietary, you can't just go to a hardware store to get new ones.

There is no wrong answer here. You just have to choose based on the qualities that mean most to you.

To make a fair comparison, pair the TTi with S30V main blade AND the full LM bit kit,

to the Spirit PLUS with RATCHET (not the wrench) and bits.

Spirit seems to be higher quality, the ratchet is very good and takes standard bits (I did crack it over-tightening a bolt - still works), but the LM bits are flat and you can pack more of them in a smaller space. Depends on what you need/like. (The LM bits will work well in the STPLUS ratchet as well as most 1/4 hex drivers)

I have both kits and the Charge TTi wins by a hair because of the one hand opening dual blades. Though the spirit is always on deck if need be.

NO... the victorinox is a terrible tool. I own almost everyone multitool and leatherman is the best. Vic sucks big balls. LEATHERMAN IS BY FAR SUPERIOR; I USE THE TTI FOR EVERYTHING

Leatherman Chage Tti All The Way; Swisstool Is A Girly Multitool And Not Ment For The Outdoors Rather The City

Victorinox was my first love, and while i can appreciate their multitools, i can't get over the lack of one-hand opening enough to buy one over the Charge models

they do seem to be very solid though, similar to the SAKs, a bit more polished and refined than the Leatherman

if i was buying new right now for EDC it would be a TTi. the dang things cost what i paid for my Ti in some places :(

A couple of points of clarification.

I am referring to the Charge TTi, not the Charge Ti. As klattman notes above, the blade is S30V, not 154CM. I also like the way klattman compares apples to apples.

But why doesn't anyone say the Swisstool CS Plus is any better than the Leatherman Charge TTi or SwissTool Spirit?

I will not be EDCing the tool, so that is not a consideration. I am interested in which of the three is best in terms of (in order of preference):
1. versatility
2. durability (takes a beating and doesn't fail)
3. quality (it may be durable but is it put together well?)

So far, people seem taken with the Spirit, even though if offers less versatility. Does it outweigh the TTi in durability and quality by that large a margin? Also, did LM change the blade material BECAUSE of the rust issues the older Ti had?

i've had my Ti since August and have no rust issues, i've had it on my hip damn near every day since i got it, my Wave before that had no rust either, and it was around for about 7 years

i'm nowhere near salt water or anything though

they didn't replace the Ti with the TTi, they just made an upgraded version that combined the tools of the XTi and Ti with better steel for the PE blade. basically they replaced the Ti with the AL

I have a SwissTool X, Spyderco Byrdwrench, and a new (got it last Saturday) Leatherman Charge TTi with bits. The two best attributes of the TTi to me are the one handed opening blade and pocket clip. The true needlenose pliers and texture of the grip are nice additions too.

The X, which is the CS Plus without the corkscrew and bits is great! The workmanship and stout consturction are my favorite things about it. The only area I feel the TTi surpasses the X is in what I mentioned above. If the X or the TTi were going to be my one and only go to, then the knife steel would play a part and I'd concede that on the surface at least, the TTi has the advantage with S30V over INOX.

That being said, at this time, I prefer the SwissTool X for my uses and daily carry gear. If I had to choose one and only one, then the TTi comes roaring back but I think I would choose the X just barely. The TTi is more versatile though. The SwissTool X just strikes me as more robust. And given that you're asking about the CS Plus and not the X, Then I would say the CS Plus would be my choice.

I'm going to keep the TTi for at least another week and keep using it. It's a very good Multitool. However, it seems like I'm covered well enough with my X and Byrdwrench. If that stays the same, the TTi will go to a buddy of mine.

I had already planned on giving a Spirit a try but now I'm planning on trying a Spirit Plus with the Ratchet and bits. Since it uses standard bits, I can use them in either the Spirit Plus or Byrdwrench.

Good luck with your search.

Back