Leatherman Charge TTi vs. SwissTool Spirit vs. Swisstool CS Plus

My vote is for the Spirit as well, I own the Spirit-S model. The "S" model replaces the scissors with a spear point blade. I don't use scissors all that often so I went with that model. Other than that, Buzzbait said it plenty good and I don't need to add anything.

mike

Good ot hear all the praise for the spirit. I just bought one off a member here, waiting for it to arrive; hope its as nice as everybody says! Been using an old gerber multitool for years, since way before the locking ones came out. Its done good, but its time for an upgrade.

I am interested in which of the three is best in terms of (in order of preference):
1. versatility
2. durability (takes a beating and doesn't fail)
3. quality (it may be durable but is it put together well?)

That's a tough list to cram all aspects of a multitool into. It's kind of like buying a high end stereo amplifier. You could buy a full stereo receiver for that same price, which gets you a free preamp, billion band graphic equalizer and tuner. The quality of the receiver won't even compare in terms of raw power or sound quality, but you sure do get a ton of knobs and switches to play with. The receiver will be far more versatile, at the cost of added durability and the large cost of fit and finish.

This analogy is blown out of proportion when compared to a Victorinox vs a Leatherman, but the premise holds true to a certain extent. From my experience, the Victorinox offers far better fit and finish, and more sound engineering. The Leatherman gives you far more tool innovation, with all of the lumps and bruises that go hand in hand with pushing the envelope.

If you don't need one hand opening or anything other than a Phillips and flat drivers, I would recommend the ST Spirit alone. If you don't like the serrated blade, you can re-grind it to a normal edge (or convex as in Buzz's FAQ - this works very well and is easy to do on SAK blades). The Spirit crams very good tools into a small space and some unique things like the chisel/scraper tool, and the very stout flat driver (also called a "crate opener").

If you need several specialty bits, you should get the ST Spirit Plus with the ratchet, as it is a very good total package. (Comes in one large sheath that holds everything.)

If you want one hand opening, and lots of bits, the LM TTi is probably the way to go. (Definitely get the extra bit kit.) Of course with the bit kit this is significantly more expensive than the ST Spirit plus.

I think either one beats all other medium sized multi-tools.

(I would consider the original ST as well as the SOG powerlock, and the LM surge and core to be large/heavy and thus in a different class)

NO... the victorinox is a terrible tool. I own almost everyone multitool and leatherman is the best. Vic sucks big balls. LEATHERMAN IS BY FAR SUPERIOR; I USE THE TTI FOR EVERYTHING

Leatherman Chage Tti All The Way; Swisstool Is A Girly Multitool And Not Ment For The Outdoors Rather The City

Wow! I think Leatherman123 is serious about the Charge. I'm glad it works well for you.

I still like my Spirit...maybe I need a purse too.:rolleyes:
:)

I will not be EDCing the tool, so that is not a consideration. I am interested in which of the three is best in terms of (in order of preference):
1. versatility
2. durability (takes a beating and doesn't fail)
3. quality (it may be durable but is it put together well?)

So far, people seem taken with the Spirit, even though if offers less versatility. Does it outweigh the TTi in durability and quality by that large a margin? Also, did LM change the blade material BECAUSE of the rust issues the older Ti had?
I think there was moe responses for the Charge tha the Spirit, but anyway, here is my take.

1 Charge TTi
2 Charge Tti
3. I say Charge but it seems they are equal here.

The Charge TTI is a very high quality tool probably the best of the leathermans IMO.

I have used it to cut double layers of sheetrock, I have used it for cutting tons of wire and opening cans and digging into wood.

I am sure the other tool is good as well. Maybe you should go check them out at a store near you and compare them. See which one looks and feels better. I think either way you cannot go wrong as both appear to be quality tools fro the number of proponents to them

NO... the victorinox is a terrible tool. I own almost everyone multitool and leatherman is the best. Vic sucks big balls. LEATHERMAN IS BY FAR SUPERIOR; I USE THE TTI FOR EVERYTHING

May I ask what you do for a living and what kind of things you put your multitools through ?

Dunc

So the Victorinox tools are more elegant, finely-crafted, but the TTi is more versatile, and both are equally durable? Is this a fair summation of everyone's opinions?

To me the Leatherman is not more versatile than the Swisstool. But that's me and I admit that after comparing the Leatherman, Swisstool and SOG, the Swisstool is by far the best for me. SOG is number two.

:)

vic tools are ment for city boys not for outdoor activities period. they have puny blades, shitty pliers and wirecutters, etc. If you want to buy a good overall tool for under 60 i would suggest the lm blast. VERSITLE, AND IT HAS MANY OPTIONS AND MINUMUM WEIGHT.

So the Victorinox tools are more elegant, finely-crafted, but the TTi is more versatile, and both are equally durable? Is this a fair summation of everyone's opinions?

yes. But I would put the durability of the charge a little above. It is just one solid beefy frame and blade and it's 154cm or S30V blade is stronger and stays sharper longer than any competition. It is the only multitool with a high quality steel blade. this in my book puts it head and shoulders above the competition

Which SOG?

Probably the SOG Powerlock (correct me if I'm wrong) which has all locking implements. It's a bit bigger and more in the class with the original SwissTool/CS and the Larger LM's, like the Core and Surge. You can change the implements on the SOG and the pliers are among if not THE best, but the implements are not as good as on the others. (Keep your eyes open for the new SOG tools later this year.)

I have the ST Spirit, the SOG Powerlock, and the LM Charge TTi.

I would put the TTi first, the Spirit very close second and the SOG at third. I haven't handled the original Swisstools, so I don't know where they would be on my short list. You need to determine what you can get the most out of.

Decide what top three tools (pliers, knife blade quality, one-hand opening blade or not, assortments of bits/attachments etc) are most important and then decide which is the best for you.

Decide what top three tools (pliers, knife blade quality, one-hand opening blade or not, assortments of bits/attachments etc) are most important and then decide which is the best for you.

Good advice :D The thing is we could argue 24/7 about which tool is the best . "My tools bigger then your tool " and " only girls who live in the city use brand X " comments dont help when your trying to find one that suits you .Have a good read on here and other forums and you will soon see the gereral trend for multitools . They all have their good and bad pionts . If possible can you go to a store and handle the different types ? What your really looking at is three brands , SOG , Victorinox and Leatherman . Gerber maybe worth a look but arent as popular as the others .

Dunc

yes. But I would put the durability of the charge a little above. It is just one solid beefy frame and blade and it's 154cm or S30V blade is stronger and stays sharper longer than any competition. It is the only multitool with a high quality steel blade. this in my book puts it head and shoulders above the competition

Dont forget most multitool users also carry another knife . But I must say the Charges blade is nice , if only aimed at right handed people .

Dunc

vic tools are ment for city boys not for outdoor activities period. they have puny blades, shitty pliers and wirecutters, etc. If you want to buy a good overall tool for under 60 i would suggest the lm blast. VERSITLE, AND IT HAS MANY OPTIONS AND MINUMUM WEIGHT.

You really dont like Victorinox do you :rolleyes: I have nothing against Leatherman and I have owned many over the years and sold most of them as for me the Swisstool works best . I do find some of your comments a bit strange :confused: All I will say is when I was stuck 3 miles out to sea with a rope rapped around the prop of our boat the serrated Swisstool blade got us easily out of a muddle and I cant remember any of the crew saying anything about how I should have bought a Leatherman at the time ;) Also living by the sea and spending alot of time on boats and on the beach I found the Leathermans would rust very easily .
Now be honest here , how many " My swisstools broke " threads have you seen on here compared to Leatherman ones ? Despite what Ive said I do like Leathermans and have had one or two adventures with them :D
This is the kind of enviroment that my multitools get used in sometimes

Dunc

Ok here is a comment and question for everyone:

First as far as leathermans go this the order I would place them in:
Charge Ti/TTi
Supertool
Wave

Now for VIctorinox how do they rank?

Back