Legislation On Wolves

It would be nice to see the plains covered with buffalo again, but I dont think the land could support them in as high of numbers as there used to be.

I dont see much of a moral dillema in killing an animal not for food. If you have to trap to make a living or protect a herd from predators. And wolves and bears CAN kill you.

The grassland of the Great Plains is a miniscule fraction of what it was when the buffalo were widespread, unfortunately. I only hope we can continue to maintain sufficient numbers to preserve the species.

I certainly have no qualms about people defending themselves from dangerous animals. The possibility of potentially violent contact is part of the appeal for me. I like the idea that there are still parts of the world where humans aren't the undisputed kings of the food chain without some serious effort.

Ed Abbey's nonfiction is amazingly good. Some of his fiction is definitely much more entertainment than art.

Jeremy

Wow....here's a topic that seriously chaps my cookies...grrrr!!

Where do I even start while sounding halfway sane?

Friends of Animals is an East coast buncha Nazi-esqe fanatics. Thier head spokesperson Priscilla Ferrell was interviewed up here a few times. The Hosts had to agree not to ask any challenging questions, disagree, or laugh at her. She still got p!ssed and hung up on them at the slightest hint of criticism. To hear this womans insipidity was simply amazing.

On a more humorous side, they decided to organize "Howl ins" across the country to protest the Aerial Wolf Control, so you wound up with six or ten people standing in the streets howling and handing propaganda to anyone that came near. Oddly enough, most people cut them a very wide berth.

Then they decided to boycott Alaska for tourism this last summer, which worked sorta....We actually had a near record tourist season last summer, EXCEPT for the Eco-Tourism businesses. It seems 95% of the world didn't give a crap about thier politics, and the five percent of Birkenstock wearin' tree huggin' granola munchin' hemp lovin' animal worshippin' druids who did care only hurt thier own compadres.

Now about the Wolf Control program itself...it's not like they would have you believe in the news. We're not all climbing up into Super Cubs and chasing down packs of wolves with our AK-47's belching out hundreds of rounds per minute, and slaughtering 'em by packs and droves... They are being controlled by a veeeerrry few...like less than a dozen pilot/ hunter teams. Many of which haven't been up even once this year.

I myself very much favor the Aerial Wolf Control. Not so much because of any danger to humans, but the fact is they are absolutely wiping out the moose and caribou populations. In areas where you use to fly over and see hundreds and hundreds of caribou, now you often times see nothing. Where I used to hunt it was a pretty simple weekend affair to go out, pop a couple caribou and fill your freezer for the year. for two years straight I've had nothing in my freezer.

Wolves used to be very far away, and rarely ever seen, even by the most ardent outdoorsman. Last summer my mother ran into one on the way to the outhouse, about twenty yards from the front door of the cabin. A friend of the family that works for fish and game has watched wolves take down the most POWERFUL bulls of the caribou herds, not wasting thier time with the sick, old, or young. and then moving on to kill more caribou before ever eating the first one they took. Doesn't that sounds just slightly imbalanced?

I guess the part that chaps my cookies the worst are these East coast do-gooders petitioning the state, sending up thier high priced attorneys, etc. when they've never ever freakin' BEEN to most of these game areas, some of them have never even been to the Anchorage International Freakin' Airport!! And they're gonna tell ALASKANS how to manage our wildlife? (incidentally, I also feel the same about anti-ANWR groups) Please, come to Alaska, catch a fish, hike a trail, climb a mountain, canoe a river...have the time of your life...whatever, but let us make our damn laws and regulate ourselves!!

And for me, it's an inconvenience, albeit a major one that I can't get my caribou or moose the last couple years,(hate store meat..yuch!) but...there's a helluva lot of full time subsistence residents that are gettin' pretty dang hungry due to the decimated herds, some of them are friends.

It's gettin' late, and I'm probably not communicating as well as I should. Probably time to hit the rack. :)

Oh **** wolves atacking humans..... I always thought this only happens only under extreme conditions. Othervise they run away, I cant imagine them going after men liberatelly, they even hate stench of a men.

You only shoot the animals because you have some. When there will be none left, youll be crying where they were gone.

The same thing is that I cant imagine wolves taking down healthy animal, they probably go after small game or the weakest piece in the shrowd.

We have two or three small packs here and even so the stupid sheparrds shoot them on site, blaming them for kills which are probably done by rabbid dogs. This country is just too small.

Thank you for that response, Runs With. I appreciate it.

Now I guess we see if Hawkwind has a credible response to your question. Maybe he does.

I m in Czech republic but we DO have wolves, lynx,beaver has returned to our lands recently, (have been masacred in last two centuries) and even big game is here and quite alot last few years (deer and stag and alot of wild boar some of for last decades unheard size). No moose tough. Never heard about Wolves atacking humans in last few hundred years.

I m not a tree hugger, you mind me,and I dont have problem with concept of killing animal for food, but the hunters here are simply scum. Theyre like mafia of its own. Lots of poachers and even the one with licence are like idiots.

IT maybe different in U.S and Canada, but the negative experience I have here determines my standpoint in this matter.

I dont understand why to control population of wolves by killing them. If they hunt out their game, they will starve and some of them will die, then the game will returns and they will increase in numbers. Thats natural thing. I dont know how much natural situation is there,
but to think that you can regulate everything on global size is at least to say fantastic.

Nobody has threatened to kill anybody so I guess this threat is under control thanks to Rusty being on the spot. Rusty is an invaluable asset and his efforts appreciated by the entire HI staff, me most of all.

munk said:
It is strange to think of killing an animal not for food.

munk

Started to post and decided it was too much info on the net.

Suffice to say, if I kill it I eat it.

Every animal, even humans, has a "value."

Personally, I would like to hunt a big bad wolf and a Buffalo. I'd like to skin them and cape them and brain tan their hides and eat their flesh and use their bones for tools and their claws for necklaces and basically share a communion with the animals and ancient man.

I wish they could have arranged for wolf-hunting instead of wolf bombardment, but Hell, we're talking about a bureaucracy here......

ibear said:
the state demonstrated it would suffer economic harm by stopping the multiyear programs

So far this winter, pilots have killed 115 wolves

F#@k money. Maybe if Bush hadn't spent $40 million on a party we wouldn't have to kill wolves. Maybe if humanity didn't steal itself blind from one another we wouldn't have to kill wolves.

I hope someday the human virus leaves this planet and returns it to the animals, creatures who actually live in balance, effortlessly.

Wolves are not a threat to humans. They are not.

But they are certainly justified if they ever decide to be.

Wolves help, HELP, other animal populations by keeping them strong.

If I ever snap, I am adding this to my TO DO List:

Kill airplane pilots killing wolves. :mad:

~ Bamboo ~

Just read Runs With Scissors remarks, which were quite good. I won't claim to know the actual situation up in Alaska, and the specific problems they are facing.

All I know is that the wolf has been hunted and misrepresented for centuries, when all the while it is generally a very necessary and integral part of nature.

Thanks,
~ B

Bill Martino said:
Nobody has threatened to kill anybody so I guess this threat is under control...

How come no one takes my threats seriously. :(

I'ma gonna open up a can of feng shui on you...
Oooo... I pity da foo, I pity da foo... :rolleyes: :p

Without knowing from first hand experience I couldn't make a judgement one way or the other.
This goes back too the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
If the people in Alaska say there's a problem then I have to believe there's a problem.
With mankind trying too keep things in balance things have gotten out of whack in some areas but most generally the Fish & Game Dept does one helluva job. I recall when it was a real chore to get a deer here in Oklahoma, now it's realitively easy.
It used too be highly rare too see a deer ran over even in the out of way roads but now it is not uncommon too see dead deer on the Interstate on the way into Tulsa.
However with our Coyote population the rabbit hunting isn't at all near what it ued too be.:grumpy:
If I lived in Alaska and couldn't fill my freezer fairly easy I would be pissed as well.
I say let Alaska do what they need too do and everyone else stay out of it.

Clif: just about any problem in Russia is resolved by using gunship helicopters.
I v had two wings of these bastards 5 km from the hause majority of my childhood and wing of 20 migs breaking supersonic nearby wasnt unusual to see.

Josh Feltman said:
What's so great about killing wolves?
Not much that I can think of! Did someone say that it was great to kill something and not eat it? I didn't! Of course, other than man, I realize that natural predators of wolves are few and far between. I think that animal control has become the name of the game. I for one, would not enjoy playing that game.
Thanks,
iBear

Back