Legislation On Wolves

Thomas Linton said:
'Cause that's the number quoted in the articles. Why they picked 1800 I could not say, but it's sure before the internal combustion engine showed up.

I think it was trying to show that there was more corelation between modern agircultural techniques and global warming then anything else, including the combustion engine. The studies showed results all the way back to the 1500s, but no records were kept of weather back then.

industrial revolution also Industrial Revolution
n.
The complex of radical socioeconomic changes, such as the ones that took place in England in the late 18th century, that are brought about when extensive mechanization of production systems results in a shift from home-based hand manufacturing to large-scale factory production.

I'd wondered about the increasing use of use of coal about that time. London was supposed to be far worse then than anything to be compared to today outside of Cheyrnoble (sic?)

DannyinJapan said:
Hey, I got your hollow tube with joints right here ,baby!
:p DIJ, you only get water fer yer cacti if it is a funny post.:p

But I'd a hit ya agin anyway if I wasn't gettin the dreaded sign sayin I have given out too much in the last 24 hours.
Why some folks'd thunk I was a rep given slut er sumthin.:rolleyes: :( :grumpy:

munk said:
Swashtar is right, the Movie, "Never Cry Wolf" Dead Wrong. In it, we learned wolves only eat the weak, sick and young. Not true. It is also not true they only kill for food- wolves kill for sport. I know that's a shock to some. They go on these killings frenzies-there's even a scientific name for it- and leave many animals down they do not eat. Wolves also traditionally kill off an area and move on. That is why modern controls must be used- we no longer have the open expanses of wilderness to support these behaviors.

I don't know the specifics in Alaska any longer, it's been a awhile since I read of the problem, but I'm still betting the wolves are controlled so they do not damage the Caribou herds irretrievably.

Ibear's a nicer guy than I am. WIth permit in hand, I'd still wouldn't mind culling wolves. I even went prarrie dog hunting once or twice.

munk the inhuman monster
munk the inhuman monster
Golllleeeeeeee, you are funny!
Thanks,
iBear

munk said:
Kismet, if you risk great heights, you risk great disaster. Our planet has no 'consciousness' in which to vote for largely dumb mammals to rule the earth without men. As our Sun is going to Nova eventually anyway, I'm not sure what the vote would mean even if 'she' could give it.

People in our culture are taught to dislike themselves on an unconscious level. They feel 'white man's guilt' They then hate the culture and civilization which brought them here. Call that Old Europe. Or you could call it the Fall Of Rome.

As ugly as McDonald's is, and we will put one on every planet we go, We must go forward.

How far we get is anyone's guess, but spooning over a sentimental lost innocence of a more primitive time and culture, which in reality was brutal, short, and bloody, is ssssiiiilllllyyyy.

I'm not immune. I hate civiliization so much I moved to a single dirt road town. I've got wild turkeys in my yard. But the best of me want Mankind to go on. I like animal husbandry, I like wolves and bears, but I sure as heck don't kid myself they are 'better' than I am, or more 'natural'.

I've had a fiesty day so if my tone is not as neat and keeno as it should be do not be alarmed. Kismet is still high in my celestial universe, even if munk is a low down killer in his.

Look on the bright side- if we really blow it the insects will evolve. They're much more self effacing than we are, and are resistant to radiation.

munk
How far we get is anyone's guess, but spooning over a sentimental lost innocence of a more primitive time and culture, which in reality was brutal, short, and bloody, is ssssiiiilllllyyyy.

I'm not immune. I hate civiliization so much I moved to a single dirt road town. I've got wild turkeys in my yard.

But the best of me want Mankind to go on. I like animal husbandry, I like wolves and bears, but I sure as heck don't kid myself they are 'better' than I am, or more 'natural'.

I've had a fiesty day so if my tone is not as neat and keeno as it should be do not be alarmed. Kismet is still high in my celestial universe, even if munk is a low down killer in his.

Look on the bright side- if we really blow it the insects will evolve.

They're much more self effacing than we are, and are resistant to radiation. - Munk the inhumane
GeeeZ, you are scaring me..... Ya think the insects will take over? I hate insects! How about bears..... couldn't the bears take over instead? Those big ol' furry monsters would just love to take over and eat all the insects! There I go... making sense again! ;) ;) ;) HeeeHaw!
Smile,
iBear

Yvsa said:
:p DIJ, you only get water fer yer cacti if it is a funny post.:p

But I'd a hit ya agin anyway if I wasn't gettin the dreaded sign sayin I have given out too much in the last 24 hours.
Why some folks'd thunk I was a rep given slut er sumthin.:rolleyes: :( :grumpy:
Yes, now you are making sense.... I think! What was that about again? Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.... sorreeeee about that?
Thanks,
iBear

Charles Bukowski once said, "The Cockroaches are going to win, but we'll make them wait a little longer."

munk

munk said:
Charles Bukowski once said, "The Cockroaches are going to win, but we'll make them wait a little longer."

munk
Here's the poem which was written on the memorial card at (Hank's) Henry Charles Bukowski Jr.'s funeral service. Service was at the Green Hills Mortuary on March 14,1994:

but they've left us a bit of music
and a spiked show in the corner,
a jigger of scotch, a blue necktie,
a small volume of poems by rimbuaud,
a horse running as if the devil
were twisting his tail
over bluegrass and screaming,
and then,
love again
like a streetcar turning the corner
on time,
the city waiting,
the wine and the flowers,
the water walking across the lake
and summer and winter
and summer and summer
and winter again

--from the poem, " If We Take"
Written by Charles Bukowski

munk said:

munk
GeeeZ, you are scaring me..... Ya think the insects will take over? I hate insects! How about bears..... couldn't the bears take over instead? Those big ol' furry monsters would just love to take over and eat all the insects! There I go... making sense again! HeeeHaw!
Smile,
iBear

munk said:

munk
"Sat up on the hill, six feet above Hanks bones on the seventh anniversary of his death. The cemetary was closing soon, the skies were grey and a little rain was falling. I had just got off work and drove down from LA with the only other Hank fan I know. We poured a couple of scotches and had a toast. There was an orange, a large pretzel, several cigarette butts, a few empty bottles of TGIF mudslide drinks and some flowers by the tombstone.

We saw some young kids searching for someones grave. 'It's down here,' we said. They came and made an imprint of the grave with some paper and a crayon." - David Badders

Will the insect evolve? Could be an evolutionary deadend. They've had a long time to get beyond ants. So far, not a single insect rapper.

Wait, that's devolution. :cool:

Kismet, if you risk great heights, you risk great disaster. Our planet has no 'consciousness' in which to vote for largely dumb mammals to rule the earth without men. As our Sun is going to Nova eventually anyway, I'm not sure what the vote would mean even if 'she' could give it.

dunno munk, I suspect that there is only "risk" within the conditions of choice. There has been no chosing of evolutionary abberations, they (or we) are merely variations that succeeded in the circumstances in which we came into being. So, the concept of risk doesn't seem to apply, in my opinion, for there was no decision to evolve made.

You may or may not be accurate about group weltanschuung, the "hating of ourselves," but I don't agree with the concept. I think, if anything, there is a group lack of concern about the entirety of the planet, at least up until relatively recent years...the years of measurement and recording. I suspect primative peoples recorded "years when the deer were gone," or "year of the heavy snows," but neither of these were measurements inasmuch as they were records of events.

And the idea of "ruling the earth" is a very human (or self-aware) notion. Those species without an awareness of selves or consciousness have no concept of rule, just power and rights within their species or territories.

I agree that man will, in your idiom, attempt to put McDonald's on any planet we could colonize, but that is, if you will, the "nature" of our species, not the nature of Nature.

And I do not think of munk the killer, I think of munk, the complex man, who views and attempts to reconcile the world in all its behaviors, despite the pain it can cause, or the frustration as he works to integrate actions with concepts. Sensitivity and sensibility are pain-fraught attributes. Those who contend with them are heroic in the best sense of the concept.

Be well and safe.

munk said:

munk
My Father

was a truly amazing man
he pretended to be
rich
even though we lived on beans and mush and weenies
when we sat down to eat, he said,
"not everybody can eat like this."

and because he wanted to be rich or because he actually
thought he was rich
he always voted Republican
and he voted for Hoover against Roosevelt
and he lost
and then he voted for Alf Landon against Roosevelt
and he lost again
saying, "I don't know what this world is coming to,
now we've got that god damned Red in there again
and the Russians will be in our backyard next!"

I think it was my father who made me decide to
become a bum.
I decided that if a man like that wants to be rich
then I want to be poor. - Henry Charles Bukowski Jr. :D

Kismet said:
dunno munk, I suspect that there is only "risk" within the conditions of choice. There has been no chosing of evolutionary abberations, they (or we) are merely variations that succeeded in the circumstances in which we came into being. So, the concept of risk doesn't seem to apply, in my opinion, for there was no decision to evolve made.

You may or may not be accurate about group weltanschuung, the "hating of ourselves," but I don't agree with the concept. I think, if anything, there is a group lack of concern about the entirety of the planet, at least up until relatively recent years...the years of measurement and recording. I suspect primative peoples recorded "years when the deer were gone," or "year of the heavy snows," but neither of these were measurements inasmuch as they were records of events.

And the idea of "ruling the earth" is a very human (or self-aware) notion. Those species without an awareness of selves or consciousness have no concept of rule, just power and rights within their species or territories.

I agree that man will, in your idiom, attempt to put McDonald's on any planet we could colonize, but that is, if you will, the "nature" of our species, not the nature of Nature.

And I do not think of munk the killer, I think of munk, the complex man, who views and attempts to reconcile the world in all its behaviors, despite the pain it can cause, or the frustration as he works to integrate actions with concepts. Sensitivity and sensibility are pain-fraught attributes. Those who contend with them are heroic in the best sense of the concept.

Be well and safe.
"Munk the Wise" makes sense! I like sense!
Thanks,
iBear

At the very end of his life, Bukowski wrote this poem about how the guys who took it straight on the chin, never flinching, the ones tough and noble and honest enough NOT TO BELEIVE IN GOD. Then he toasts them. I thought to myself;

How tough can you be when you're drunk all the time?

(and well, as a matter of fact, that's hard work, and is tough, but you know what I mean)

There's a Lou Reed line written as if Andy Warhol said it. "those downtown painters are just alcoholic."

munk

Back