Let a SAK do it!

My son came to me with a sliver stuck in his finger. Ahh...the sliver, nemesis of the Cadet. This is why I carry a Classic SD on my keys. Like Batman and Robin, the Dynamic SAK Duo.

Ahh, the ever present and often overlooks classic is always there. Like a certain credit card, never leave how without it!
10037376036_c03c1037af_c.jpg

If you want to stay within the traditional SAKs with traditional tool selections, then you're talking about a basic camper pattern knife and lots of traditional competitors to the Victorinox/Wenger that are just as functional.
Excepting the quality assurance across such a volume of manufactured pieces. Not lots of those, and none come anywhere even close to Victorinox.

Leghog,

Boker, Case and Rough Rider all come to mind immediately. Again, I'm talking here about basic camper pattern knives with 4-6 tools, as is traditional.

As you soon you move into the more than 6 tool category, IMO (again, IMO), you're talking about a modern multi-tool category both in terms of tool selection and weight, in which case offerings by Leatherman, SOG and Gerber (among others) should be compared.

6+ tools...Farmer, never, ever leave home without it. The American Express of total preparedness.;)

Carved a pumpkin with the wengr alpine backpacker non reflective saw, worked great for circles, and only almost closed on me twice!!!

Whittled a small guy with a smile and tie for a key ring doo dad. Love my SAK but it now has shared custody of my pockets with a charlow.:D Life is so very good is it not gentlemen?

We had some high winds recently so I used the awl on my Tourist to drill to holes in the garbage can so that i could bungee the lid down, worked like a charm.

My wife is a salesperson at a local furniture store. A pair of lamps came in and the socket on one of the lamps had the top lip of the socket bent in so it wouldn't accept a lightbulb. I used the caplifter on my Pioneer and simply pried up the lip of the socket and it's as good as new:thumbup:

@ Student762, I carried my Charlow along with my "Moonlight Silver" ALOX Soldier today (most day's actually) & I agree, life is good:thumbup:;)

Last edited:
used my farmer (the can opener;-) to open a fresh oyster that I picked up in the tidelands of the German North shore

^^^wish I had your luck, just used my SAK to sharpen a pencil, didn't really need to sharpen it just wanted to :D

i got the weirder use of a sak,ever... i guess my model is a recruit, i used it to to take off circular clips of my chain saw,the awl did it well, then i cleaned the groove of the chainsaw blade with the can opener. then as it was not my lucky day,my pro belt ruler nail (to size logs) flew off,the awl did it again,once more till i got back to civilisation...

Today we were carving jack-o-lanterns. And every single year we have the same troubles with using serrated blade kitchen knives, and struggling to get the designs cut. Until this year when I had a brilliant idea and broke out my Fieldmaster. The saw cut through the pumpkins in practically nothing flat, and allowed for a lot more precise carving than any knife has.

The dedicated can opener broke on us today. So my Fieldmaster came to the rescue in wrestling a can of tuna into submission. Holy crap does that thing work well.

The dedicated can opener broke on us today. So my Fieldmaster came to the rescue in wrestling a can of tuna into submission. Holy crap does that thing work well.

You scared me for a second there. That first sentence had me ready to cry out in pain for your loss....but then I read on and learned it wasn't a SAK that was broken :D

I was using the locator at work earlier today to find some underground conduit. The batteries were in need of replacing, whipped out the Pioneer, opened up the can opener/small screwdriver tool, removed the screws, replaced the batteries.
That locator was finding stuff all over the place!

Back