Let's get the next build rolling

Dang John where did you find such a big pencil?
75341220_2718830324835108_8546376953534349312_o.jpg

Your new makers marks really good John, also you did a really good job on the end grain of that red palm near the ricasso area. Did you use true oil on it?
Thanks Scott, the finish is CA. I've never had luck with Tru oil, pretty sure it's operator error!

Thanks Scott, the finish is CA. I've never had luck with Tru oil, pretty sure it's operator error!
I've only had good luck with tung oil finishes in the winter when the humidity is low, I wouldn't mind trying the Tru-oil though. I was looking at some U-tube videos and it looks like it might be a pretty time consuming endeavor.

I've only had good luck with tung oil finishes in the winter when the humidity is low, I wouldn't mind trying the Tru-oil though. I was looking at some U-tube videos and it looks like it might be a pretty time consuming endeavor.
I've seen some really nice tru oil finishes but I could never get an even coat. I always ened up sanding through a spot and it turned into a never ending process.

I've seen some really nice tru oil finishes but I could never get an even coat. I always ened up sanding through a spot and it turned into a never ending process.
Been there, done that.lol

Looks really good John! :cool: This knife reminds me of something, but I can't quite put a finger on it.

I've had good luck with Tru-Oil, but it takes a LOT of time (one coat a day at most, and usually 8-10 coats...), and it's a tedious process! I've refinished a couple gun stocks with it, and used it on a couple knife handles as well. Light coats are key, and sanding with light grit and steel wool between coats is absolutely necessary! I generally apply it with my bare fingers, then very gently spread it out (feather it) with a rag. Have to be sure it's 100% dry before sanding every time too, or you'll ruin all your hard work.

Gives an awesome finish when done right, but it's definitely a pain in the butt to get it just right. I don't think it would be something a knifemaker would want to use too often.

Looks really good John! :cool: This knife reminds me of something, but I can't quite put a finger on it.

I've had good luck with Tru-Oil, but it takes a LOT of time (one coat a day at most, and usually 8-10 coats...), and it's a tedious process! I've refinished a couple gun stocks with it, and used it on a couple knife handles as well. Light coats are key, and sanding with light grit and steel wool between coats is absolutely necessary! I generally apply it with my bare fingers, then very gently spread it out (feather it) with a rag. Have to be sure it's 100% dry before sanding every time too, or you'll ruin all your hard work.

Gives an awesome finish when done right, but it's definitely a pain in the butt to get it just right. I don't think it would be something a knifemaker would want to use too often.
Good advice Jared, maybe I'll revisit it and work it slower. I've done a couple of Danish oil finishes that turned out great but took three weeks of one drop rubbed in twice a day!. Hmm, I still have one knife around here somewheres, mesquite and O1, before I had a mark.

Back